DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Godfather
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of my lockups have occurred when deleting a recording when it gets to the end, while recording one or more shows.

I would suggest the HR20 testers/debuggers do the following:

setup contiguous blocks of shows to record (NOT a manua recording) for two channels, to keep both tuners busy.

After 20 minutes, start watching one of the shows and delete it when it gets to the end and prompts. Continue this with the other show(s) while it's still recording.

I think if they do this on 4-5 test units at the same time, the chances of hitting the lockup bug will be pretty high.

Just to clarify the symptoms and what happens when my unit locks up like this, when it gets to the end of the recording, I'm typically fast forwarding to get to the end since the show's over. I then select "yes, delete" and it takes me to an all blue screen, with a preview window in the top right.

Just a suggestion to the testers. I know it'd be a pretty tedious test, but I think it'd be worth it, since as I pointed out this is how I've locked my HR20 up 99.9% of the time.

·
Godfather
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*bump*

Earl - do you know if the testers are doing anything like this or are willing to look into it?

For the rest of you, has this kind of lockup been common for you? Or are you locking up under a different scenario?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I know the testers are using several different methods to test.

Are they doing something "specically" like you listed... I have no idea.

As for your scenerio... I have done that for the last couple Monday nights.... and I haven't resulted in a lockup.

·
Godfather
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
As for your scenerio... I have done that for the last couple Monday nights.... and I haven't resulted in a lockup.
Well it certainly isn't something that happens even 10% of the time, probably more like 1-2%, if that. And that's just statistically, there's no way of telling whether I was just (un)lucky :)

But I think if this scenario was tested by multiple units for a few hours, at least one of them would exhibit the problem. So if they were running some sort of debugger or whatever, hopefully it'd allow them to track it down to where in the code is causing this. It's almost certainly got to be some sort of deadlock.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
jkc120 said:
Well it certainly isn't something that happens even 10% of the time, probably more like 1-2%, if that. And that's just statistically, there's no way of telling whether I was just (un)lucky :)

But I think if this scenario was tested by multiple units for a few hours, at least one of them would exhibit the problem. So if they were running some sort of debugger or whatever, hopefully it'd allow them to track it down to where in the code is causing this. It's almost certainly got to be some sort of deadlock.
jcd120, I might have a few moments to try your suggestion this afternoon. Are you seeing this most often if MPEG4 is included with one of the channels or not?

Cheers,
Tom

·
Godfather
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tibber said:
jcd120, I might have a few moments to try your suggestion this afternoon. Are you seeing this most often if MPEG4 is included with one of the channels or not?

Cheers,
Tom
Hmm, it seems to happen more often when I'm recording two MPEG4 channels and playing back an MPEG4 recording, though I unfortunately do not have any concrete info on what I was watching and recording when these lockups have occurred.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.