DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Godfather
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were buying a new set for your TV2 location today, say 42" to 50" screen size, what would you get considering that it will be getting downconverted SD signal from the 622? I suspect that having one with BOTH NTSC AND ATSC tuners would be critical. Would you get a true HDTV or would you just get an EDTV? Do some sets work better than others in this scenario? Plasma? LCD? DLP?

·
Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
Personally I would stay away from EDTVs. HDTVs have come down so much in price I don't think you would save much money by getting an EDTV. Also, if you get an EDTV and sit less than say roughly 8 - 10 feet away you'll most likely see what is called the 'Screen Door Effect' where you can see the pixel structure that makes up the TV. EDTVs only exist in Plasmas, and don't go bigger than 42", I don't think I've ever seen a LCD or DLP EDTV.

As far as what is better, Plasma, LCD, DLP, etc ... That is really a call that you need to make based on what you like best. My personal opinion, let me repeat, MY PERSONAL OPINION, I prefer plasmas. To me they are the closest thing to CRTs. Back in 2005 when I bought my HDTV I actually had a Samsung DLP, a Panny EDTV Plasma, and a Vizio cheapo Plasma in my house before settling on a Pioneer HDTV Plasma. I found the Rear Projection and Rainbow effect of the DLP too much for me and the Screen Door Effect of the EDTV too noticible for me. The Vizio HD Plasma was fine for HD but had bad image retention and SD looked horrible. The Pioneer did a much better job with SD, a little better on HD, more vivid colors, better blacks, and no image retention.

The one TV I have not personally had in my house yet is a LCD Flat Panel. Back in 2005 the good ones were way too expensive for me to even consider. Now I am looking at maybe getting a 37" TV for the bedroom and I am seriously looking at LCD's and Plasma's for this.

Hopefully my ramblings will help you a bit.

you might also want to check out the TV Forums on AVSForum.com. I find them very valuable when researching home electronics.

I'm working on getting this back into the 622 forum. I didn't realize until after I moved it that you were asking specifically about the TV2 output of a 622. Sorry about that.

Based on that the one recommendation I would make would be .... get a good high quality TV. I've found that the off brand TV's dont' tend to do as well with SD TV. I found this true with my Vizio Plasma, and I've seen that with a few off brand LCDs from Costco that friends and my neighbor have bought and later returned.

·
AllStar
93 Posts
I do have a 23" Sony Bravia HDTV connected to the TV2 output of my 622. I also have it connected via S-video to a 510 DVR. The down-converted picture on the LCD as well as SD channels from the 622 are much better than the 510.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,202 Posts
Rob Glasser said:

... I found the Rear Projection and Rainbow effect of the DLP too much for me and the Screen Door Effect of the EDTV too noticible for me. ...

I don't know what people are talking about when they say "rainbow effect" because I have had a DLP for years and have never noticed this. DLPs don't get burn-in on the screen which is critical these days since so much is still 4X3.

·
Icon/Supporter
1,227 Posts
I just don't have the heart to run an HDTV w/o HD source.

I'd assume that in the next year or 2 you'll find a resonable priced HD PVR (or non-pvr) to hook up.

Don't assume that the 622 TV2 output is all you'll ever want to use.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
lujan said:
I don't know what people are talking about when they say "rainbow effect" because I have had a DLP for years and have never noticed this. DLPs don't get burn-in on the screen which is critical these days since so much is still 4X3.
Some people see the rainbow effect and some don't. I know I am one that sees it, looks like your one of those that does not, I wish I never saw it. All I know is I never saw it in the store, but as soon as I got the set home and calibrated I started seeing it anytime there was a bright object in a dark scene, i.e. a lamp or a window with daylight in a dark room. As soon as I started seeing it it got worse, I'd see it anytime I looked away from the TV and then quickly looked back. It got to the point I couldn't go 10 minutes without seeing it.

As for burn in, today's plasmas are no worse for burn-in than a CRT. Yes, I wouldn't want to run a 16x9 plasma in 4x3 mode all the time, but you don't have to worry about it like you did with early generation plasmas.

What it all comes down to is budget and personal preference. Only the person/family that will be the primary users of the TV can decide what's best for them. The best advice I can give you is buy from somewhere that has a MONEY BACK return policy, whether it's only a few days or a month, at least that way if you get it home and absolutely hate it for your environment you can return it.

·
RichardParker II
939 Posts
I personally love my Samsung 46in DLP. It is an older version and I occasionally see the rainbow effect but I think that the newer DLPs have more spokes in the color wheel to help reduce or eliminate it. If it was never mentioned, it would probably never be a problem to anyone. Just thinking about it makes it happen as in Rob's case.
My problem with the DLP is that my mounting location is in an alcove next to the fireplace and it is up kinda high. This forced me to tilt it forward some to get decent viewing from normal sitting level.
Would I get a DLP again, yes, but I probably would try an LCD first. May get a 37in LCD for the bedroom.
I would not get a plasma as they run too hot and consume a lot more power than a DLP or LCD. I also can see the pixels on a plasma but can't on a DLP.

I made the mistake of buying a 32in Toshiba tube HDTV which is 4X3 and really regret that decision. It was my first HDTV and thought at the time that it would work out fine but now it is a 200 pound monster that I would really like to dump.
Don't even consider a 4X3 set.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
Like I said, it all comes down to personal preference, some people will love DLP, others will hate it, the same goes for LCD and Plasmas.

Some of the best things anyone can do before buying a TV are:
1) Do your homework. Go to AVSForum or other sites and research the different TV types, figure out the pros and cons of each
2) Go to out to the stores and look at different models of each type, try and get them off their in store loops and see real content, if possible take a DVD or something that you can use on various TVs to see the same content on each. Ask them if they can hook up cable/sat or an antenna so see how it does with that.
3) Take notes on what you like or do not like, and specific models you like.
4) Go back online and research those specific TVs
5) Determine which TV you want and research prices to know a fair price.

Only then would I even think about actually buying a TV.

·
Godfather
382 Posts
Hi,

I'm new and not sure where to post this question.

I am in the throws of getting an HDTV and a projector. I'd like to run a HD feed to the projector from the 622, but most of my HD viewing will be done on the HD TV.

Can I run the HDMI out to the TV and the component out the projector? Are both active at the same time or do I need a splitter?

My theater receiver doesn't have HDMI support, so I need to run a TOS cable and RCA stereo leads to it anyway. Total run length will be about 20-25 ft at most.

thanks. Let me know if I need to post this elsewhere.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
Welcome to DBSTalk FogCutter and to answer your question, Yes, both outputs are active at the same time. No need for a splitter.

FogCutter said:
Hi,
Can I run the HDMI out to the TV and the component out the projector? Are both active at the same time or do I need a splitter?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.