DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Mentor
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been with DirecTV since 2001. My wife and I will be moving in a month. I'm trying to decide what to do.

I've been pretty happy with them over the years and felt that they've treated me right. I called them up last week and told them I was moving, seeing what they had to offer. I asked (figuring they'd say no, but I asked anyways) if they'd give me the new customer package. Of course they said no.

So

Option 1 They did offer to do the moving thing free (12 month committment) and upgrade my equipment to the Tivo free (24 month committment) and give me a 10 dollar bill credit.
Option 2 would be cancel the service and put it in my wife's name at the new address (she is not listed on my current contract) and get DirecTV's new customer bundle. I'd even use the refer a friend thing from a recent friend and get that 10 bucks a month off.

Option 3 is Dish Network. I've spoken with a few of you via PM's, and at this point I'm somewhat willing to try something new.

Just wondered what you guys think and what you'd do? In all honesty I'm leaning towards option 1 without the equipment upgrade, because I've got a ton of stuff stored on my HD DVR's that the kids watch. But it would be nice to save some cash.


Sidenote: Thread title is a bit misleading...I can't edit that now, sorry. Should be more along the lines of "old customer who can be new to either DTV or Dish Network.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
127 Posts
bungi43 said:
I've been with DirecTV since 2001. My wife and I will be moving in a month. I'm trying to decide what to do.

I've been pretty happy with them over the years and felt that they've treated me right. I called them up last week and told them I was moving, seeing what they had to offer. I asked (figuring they'd say no, but I asked anyways) if they'd give me the new customer package. Of course they said no.

So

Option 1 They did offer to do the moving thing free (12 month committment) and upgrade my equipment to the Tivo free (24 month committment) and give me a 10 dollar bill credit.
Option 2 would be cancel the service and put it in my wife's name at the new address (she is not listed on my current contract) and get DirecTV's new customer bundle. I'd even use the refer a friend thing from a recent friend and get that 10 bucks a month off.

Option 3 is Dish Network. I've spoken with a few of you via PM's, and at this point I'm somewhat willing to try something new.

Just wondered what you guys think and what you'd do? In all honesty I'm leaning towards option 1 without the equipment upgrade, because I've got a ton of stuff stored on my HD DVR's that the kids watch. But it would be nice to save some cash.

Sidenote: Thread title is a bit misleading...I can't edit that now, sorry. Should be more along the lines of "old customer who can be new to either DTV or Dish Network.
If you're happy with DirecTV, I'd go with Option 2. The new customer promotional rate is always better than whatever DirecTV will offer you to stay on with them. If you can add refer-a-friend, so much the better. Plus, as a "new" customer, you're likely to get the newest equipment (no guarantee though). Plus a free installation at your new address, so using the movers connection would be a moot point.

It won't take long to build up a library of new shows for the kids to watch, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Dish (or even cable) are always options,too. There are plenty of threads comparing them with DirecTV.
 

· Mentor
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jimbo56 said:
If you're happy with DirecTV, I'd go with Option 2. The new customer promotional rate is always better than whatever DirecTV will offer you to stay on with them. If you can add refer-a-friend, so much the better. Plus, as a "new" customer, you're likely to get the newest equipment (no guarantee though). Plus a free installation at your new address, so using the movers connection would be a moot point.

It won't take long to build up a library of new shows for the kids to watch, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Dish (or even cable) are always options,too. There are plenty of threads comparing them with DirecTV.
Cable isn't an option. I'm literally moving to the middle of no where. So it's basically Dish or DirecTV.

The one perk now is I have two HD DVR's. If I go with the whole home thing, I am still paying for a second receiver/DVR...but I'm not getting the space (or am I? How big are the new ones?) and I'm paying for whole home.

They royally screwed up my install 4 years ago, and in doing so I got two HD DVR's at no cost. I like having two...that's one reason I'm thinking about staying. Still need to decide.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
540 Posts
bungi43 said:
I've been with DirecTV since 2001. My wife and I will be moving in a month. I'm trying to decide what to do.

I've been pretty happy with them over the years and felt that they've treated me right. I called them up last week and told them I was moving, seeing what they had to offer. I asked (figuring they'd say no, but I asked anyways) if they'd give me the new customer package. Of course they said no.

So

Option 1 They did offer to do the moving thing free (12 month committment) and upgrade my equipment to the Tivo free (24 month committment) and give me a 10 dollar bill credit.
Option 2 would be cancel the service and put it in my wife's name at the new address (she is not listed on my current contract) and get DirecTV's new customer bundle. I'd even use the refer a friend thing from a recent friend and get that 10 bucks a month off.

Option 3 is Dish Network. I've spoken with a few of you via PM's, and at this point I'm somewhat willing to try something new.

Just wondered what you guys think and what you'd do? In all honesty I'm leaning towards option 1 without the equipment upgrade, because I've got a ton of stuff stored on my HD DVR's that the kids watch. But it would be nice to save some cash.

Sidenote: Thread title is a bit misleading...I can't edit that now, sorry. Should be more along the lines of "old customer who can be new to either DTV or Dish Network.
i would go with option #3
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,155 Posts
I thought I saw a movers connection ad where they were giving out the hr34 free. Maybe I dreamed it, but I am moving in the next few months and I was hoping that would still be offered at that time as well.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,087 Posts
Yep, the mover's connection ad does state that the HR34 is part of the deal.

But this isn't the first thread I've seen where those moving didn't get that offer.
 

· Mentor
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lparsons21 said:
Yep, the mover's connection ad does state that the HR34 is part of the deal.

But this isn't the first thread I've seen where those moving didn't get that offer.
I've been told with a new committment they'll upgrade/swap me into the new Tivo if I want it.

BUT..

Update: I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with option 1 and just do the 12 month committment for the free movers program. They were offering 3 free months of HBO/Showtime/Startz/Cinemax...asked the guy if they'd do 6 months free of Showtime/Starz (done it for me before) and he said yes. Also said there was another 5 dollar bill credit they could give me. On top of that, I posted something to my facebook the other day about the refer a friend with my info and two people did. I won't see the credit for a few months, but by the time I get the move, I'll be doing pretty well. Won't have to send in my equipment with old stuff on it. The only thing I haven't decided is if I want to do the upgrade/swap...because that's 24 months.

I love my old standard Tivo box (still using it)...how do you guys like the new Tivo?
 

· Legend
Joined
·
272 Posts
bungi43 said:
I've been told with a new committment they'll upgrade/swap me into the new Tivo if I want it.

BUT..

Update: I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with option 1 and just do the 12 month committment for the free movers program. They were offering 3 free months of HBO/Showtime/Startz/Cinemax...asked the guy if they'd do 6 months free of Showtime/Starz (done it for me before) and he said yes. Also said there was another 5 dollar bill credit they could give me. On top of that, I posted something to my facebook the other day about the refer a friend with my info and two people did. I won't see the credit for a few months, but by the time I get the move, I'll be doing pretty well. Won't have to send in my equipment with old stuff on it. The only thing I haven't decided is if I want to do the upgrade/swap...because that's 24 months.

I love my old standard Tivo box (still using it)...how do you guys like the new Tivo?
I'm not a fan of the new Tivo, for a few reasons.
1. Tivo service costs extra
2. (This is just personal preference) There isn't a single feature I want or need that comes with a Tivo.
3. Tivo is not compatible with whole home DVR.
4. Tivo interface annoys me, again just personal preference.
5. If you live in the middle of no where, remember that Tivos have to be connected to a phone line or internet to receive Tivo updates.

The HR34 isn't perfect at this point but I prefer it over the new Tivo.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Forget all the whiz-bang with either provider (I've had both, at the same time).

At the end of the day, it comes down to programming.

Do Both systems provide all (ALL) the HD locals in the area you are moving?

Is there some programming (maybe it figured into your original decision?) that you "can't live without" or that, since you are on DirecTV now, that DISH has that really makes switching a real plus.

Go go a local Radio Shack if you already haven't and spend some time twiddling with the DISH DVR's and such. That's a really big plus for someone thinking about switching.

But it all really comes down to the programming. Folks will 'put up' with all kinds of wacky performance/design IF they get the programs they want that they can't get on the alternative. For EITHER system.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top