DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rumors today all Apple.

New Puck Editor Matthew Belloni says his sources say, “It’s Apple's to lose at this point. (One source told me this weekend that the deal is actually done and is being kept quiet at Apple’s request, which I haven’t confirmed and don’t know for a fact; Apple isn’t commenting.)”

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,610 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,426 Posts
does apple have any plans to have the apple+ MLB games on commercial tv?

also with NFL ST bars may not be willing to buy 8+ apple tv boxes or even more if apple trys to lockout Matrix Switchers.

·
Godfather
798 Posts
Unless apple negotiated something to steal next season early. They are in no real rush to announce anything
I would not be surprised if DirecTV is willing to get out of this season given that they are losing money on it. Of course, if I was them, I’d ask to be bought out of the deal because Apple is certainly willing to pay more than DirecTV is obligated to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
53,490 Posts
DIRECTV isn't losing too much on Sunday Ticket and this year all of any losses are being covered by AT&T ... so there is no benefit in DIRECTV ending the exclusive early. The penalty for ending the contract early would be losing any subscribers who are holding on to DIRECTV purely for NFLST.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,426 Posts
I would not be surprised if DirecTV is willing to get out of this season given that they are losing money on it. Of course, if I was them, I’d ask to be bought out of the deal because Apple is certainly willing to pay more than DirecTV is obligated to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and then will they cover all early termination fees? buy back hardware from bars and others places?

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
does apple have any plans to have the apple+ MLB games on commercial tv?

also with NFL ST bars may not be willing to buy 8+ apple tv boxes or even more if apple trys to lockout Matrix Switchers.
I keep telling you guys, Apple won't do the commercial side. They'll either buy consumer rights only and the NFL will sell commercial separately, or if they have to buy everything they'll sell commercial rights themselves. I'd say odds are very high Directv ends up with a commercial exclusive if Apple gets NFLST.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,994 Posts
DIRECTV isn't losing too much on Sunday Ticket and this year all of any losses are being covered by AT&T ... so there is no benefit in DIRECTV ending the exclusive early. The penalty for ending the contract early would be losing any subscribers who are holding on to DIRECTV purely for NFLST.
And ATT is going to turn down someone else taking next year to not have to cover those losses?

·
Administrator
432 Posts
The question is would Sunday Ticket be included in the cost of ATV+ or would users then need to pay an extra fee on top of the service?

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
It is Apple. I can't see them just throwing it in for the $4.99 price it currently is. Although it would surely boost its streaming numbers. But enough to cover the cost they are paying the NFL?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,446 Posts
I keep telling you guys, Apple won't do the commercial side.
Unless something has changed significantly on the League side, all they want is their periodic wire transfers -- they don't want to lift a finger.

Because the product stands alone, it isn't subject to the carriage agreements that make licensing to commercial venues difficult to sort out. The NFL will grant OOM broadcast rights to whomever wins the bidding and its the winner's responsibility to figure out how to make it work.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,446 Posts
The question is would Sunday Ticket be included in the cost of ATV+ or would users then need to pay an extra fee on top of the service?
I don't believe there's any question. When you get up into the ten figures range, you can't afford to give it away.

·
Icon
1,953 Posts
I don't believe there's any question. When you get up into the ten figures range, you can't afford to give it away.
I'm not so sure, at least initially. Apple wants to grow ATV+ and they also want to sell devices, which is their core business (after all, iTunes was built to sell iPods back in the day). So I do think that the bump they get in subscriptions might be worth it for a company that can literally BUY multiple third world countries if they chose to. Short term loss for long term gain. And the rumor is they are coming out with a new ATV that will include a lot of Echo like features, possibly including a camera. So they want to sell their service and they want to sell devices. Having ST could potentially DOUBLE their subscription base. So I can see for a year or two them giving it away to existing subscribers, and perhaps bumping new subscribers to $6.99 (which is STILL cheaper than many of the services, and much cheaper than Netflix and HBO Max).

Another thing, is the plan to require you buy an ATV device for ST? If not, then for commercial use, businesses could invest in a $20 Roku or Firestick (if ATV+ is on the FS) per TV. I don't know what kind of cost outlay they would have to do. But it's also possible the ST service could wind up cheaper for them. I think all of that is yet to be worked out.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,994 Posts
Apple Made 34.5 billion last Qtr... So yeh they can well afford the 2.5 billion a year to include this in the current Apple TV price if they so wanted

1 - 20 of 282 Posts