DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cool Member/Supporter
305 Posts
A larger question, IMO, is even if some streamer gets the deal and if DirecTV would be willing to sell it, and if the NFL would agree to it, would the new company have their infrastructure ready to go by opening day ? I don't think it would be in their interest to roll out some half baked product that hasn't been adequately tested and risk the wrath of a bunch of angry football fans.

·
Cool Member/Supporter
305 Posts

·
Cool Member/Supporter
305 Posts
What we don't know is if Apple (or whoever) gets Sunday Ticket if their contract will allow a "team only" option, allowing subscribers to watch only their team out of market. For many years, Sunday Ticket has sort of been a one size fits all option, and perhaps there will be a tiered plan. We don't know any of the details and truth be told, we don't even know, for sure, if it will be Apple.

·
Cool Member/Supporter
305 Posts
Gambling and fantasy also feed into the desire to watch the games that might not be in the home market. Funny how interested in a game you can be if you have a couple quatloos riding on the outcome.

·
Cool Member/Supporter
305 Posts
i really think that will depend on what they offer, IOW, will there be a team only option, one with limited streams, one with unlimited streams, will they throw you a bone if you subscribe to Apple+, etc.

I expect the top end product, minus discounts, will be priced at a similar price point as Sunday Ticket Max in DirecTV (about 400 bucks).

·
Cool Member/Supporter
305 Posts
We likely will never know, but it will be interesting to see the impact on subscriber numbers if DirecTV does lose Sunday Ticket. I would assume that is baked into their business case for why it is better for their business to drop it.

·
Cool Member/Supporter
305 Posts
Meanwhile, Apple has been subpoenaed in the anti-trust lawsuit involving DirecTV and the NFL even though they do not currently even own the rights to any NFL games.

Maybe someone who is knowledgeable in the law can explain why this subpoena is even valid and why it shouldn't be tossed by the judge.

Apple fights NFL Sunday Ticket plaintiffs over antitrust subpoena | Reuters

·
Cool Member/Supporter
305 Posts
I reached out to the author of the CNBC article on Twitter, and he told me that while DirecTV is NOT in negotiations with NFL regarding Sunday Ticket, DirecTV, it plans to reach out to the winner to "discuss ideas".

Here is the question I asked and his answer on Twitter:

Question: "Is the potential for @DirecTV to continue to carry NFL Sunday Ticket and give the proceeds to the winning bidder (as mentioned in your article a couple weeks ago) still alive or is @DirecTV totally out after this season?"

Answer: "Unchanged. DTV isn’t negotiating with the league. It plans to discuss ideas with the winner, whenever one is named.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts