DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mentor
553 Posts
First off, I don't think there are nearly as many NFLST subscribers (either actual or potential) as many think. I'm thinking the number isn't in the millions at this point.

Secondly, I'm not sure Apple has a proper model for navigating something like sports. I'm certainly not hip to their ATV or app state of the art but I wonder how one might handle game hopping.

Finally, you have to consider what other sports properties that Apple offers to prove that they're more than a one trick pony (pre-recorded content).
At the current price point, I agree with your statement on the number of subscribers. I think those that have it are very vocal about the service, how it operates and especially its pricing. Adjust that price point to somewhere in the $200/season range (Similar to a NBA League Pass or MLB.tv subscription) and I think it interests more people who didn't normally passed.

I'd like to think that Apple has enough smart people wandering around their facilities to figure out things like an easily manageable GUI/game navigation menu. And if not, they've got enough money those that can figure it out. Again, I've been running solely on the NFLST app on my Apple TV box (and/or iPad) for the past four seasons. It wasn't difficult to manage.

·
Mentor
553 Posts
Maybe some of you simply have skin in the game, but I'm really not too concerned about the logistics of sports bars being able to carry NFL Sunday Ticket under a new deal/provider/platform.

If a business really wants it, they'll figure out a way.

Reactions: Steveknj

·
Mentor
553 Posts
What I can imagine people doing on their phones at a bar is live betting and that's gonna be really interesting with the delay inherent in streaming live events.
As someone who lives all-streaming and dabbles in sports gambling and live betting, you get used to it a little bit and adjust accordingly.

·
Mentor
553 Posts
So, no, Apple is going to do exactly what DirecTV did. Predicate access to ST on first buying Apple TV (or perhaps a new phone or other item) and THEN charging a significant amount for the ST package. Perhaps not what DirecTV was, but certainly at least 3 figures/year and far less “retention specials”.
I don't think it's unfair to expect Sunday Ticket to be priced at, just throwing darts, $200/season. That seems reasonable, given the price of other out-of-market sports packages, and an understanding that the NFL is the "premium" sports product out there. The end of this statement is the real reason people are fearful of Sunday Ticket leaving the D* platform; they're afraid that they might have to pay for it. (Some, maybe, for the first time in a long time.)

To what end? The break even point for ST as just a part of Apple TV is darn near more people than exist. Why lose a billion dollars a year to get more subscribers for a service that, under that math, will NEVER make money.

“Hey boss, should be lose a billion dollars and have 45M subscribers, or have 20M subscribers and turn a profit”.

“A”

(Thing said by nobody for $100)
Following this strategy, no provider should attempt to carry NFL Sunday Ticket at its current asking price, regardless of what you charge for it.

Reactions: compnurd

·
Mentor
553 Posts
These guys are going to have to make money some other way. Maybe it helps sell iPhones and Apple TV’s. Maybe Apple make money just like every online service providers like tracking ad impressions.
Now we're getting somewhere. To make an obvious statement, all of Apple's stuff works best when it's operated within Apple's ecosystem. For example, when I'm watching a baseball game on my Apple TV box, I'll get an on-screen pop-up that lets me know that the Celtics-Nets game is close in the fourth quarter. (Pops up on my iPhone, too) If I want to go to switch to it, just click the remote and it takes me right to it, regardless if that means switching apps, etc. You're likely not getting that same experience outside of the Apple-sphere, or running Apple TV+ through another streaming device.

Since this thread is all about pontificating and guessing what will happen, here's another thought if/when Apple takes over; Sunday Ticket remains within its own app. As a guy who's solely been watching Sunday Ticket through the app for the past four seasons, I'm a fan of the current app format and think it works really well. It's easy to navigate/change games and easy to swap games in and out of the multi-view option. Short Cuts system works well, and I'm sure you could implement more features.

·
Mentor
553 Posts
Let's recap with some statements on both sides of the fence, where both statements can be true:
  • It's true that younger consumers aren't watching media/programs in the same capacity that other generations are. But lots of folks are still watching programs on their 70" televisions (even my 14-year-old daughter!).
  • It's true that some bars/establishments might not be equipped at the present to handle large streaming requirements. At the same time, there are several that are, and will be able to make hardware/logistical changes necessary, if streaming-only is the way Sunday Ticket goes.
  • It's true that things are changing a little bit, and that you can't be stuck in "that's the way we've always done it." Also, sports bars aren't disappearing tomorrow because of young people playing on their phones 24/7. (Also, lots of older people play on their phones 24/7, too. ;) )
  • It's fair to be excited about a change in Sunday Ticket (like I am), but also leery (as I know some of you are) of what this means for consumers because of the unknowns of a premium commodity changing hands.

Reactions: Steveknj

·
Mentor
553 Posts
BTW, a "Browns" bar in Cleveland or "Bears" bar in Chicago has no need for ST, do they? Heck they can throw an antenna on the roof and show the games for free!
Specific "team" bars, even if they're within a team's immediate broadcast market, still has plenty of use for Sunday Ticket to broadcast divisional opponent games. Not the utmost priority, but if your team isn't playing, those are most likely the games you're paying attention to. (Ex: The Dallas-Fort Worth market normally broadcasts NFC East opponent games, if available and the Cowboys are in a different window/primetime.)

·
Mentor
553 Posts
I never tried on Sunday Ticket to watch a game that was on Sunday afternoon on Sunday Ticket later in the week. Was that possible (like a recording)? I asked because I've been wondering about the NFL games that may be on Apple TV+ in 2023 and the games that are now on Apple TV+ (Friday night baseball), Peacock (Sunday morning basball) and Amazon Prime (Thursday night football this cominng season). There is no way to record those streaming games so if you miss them live you can never go back and watch them later?
On the Sunday Ticket streaming app, Short Cuts and full broadcasts are available a few hours later. Full game replays are also available on the Game Pass subscription (You can go back to select games as far back as 2008, I think.) Whether those services are made available under a new provider remains unanswered. But this is what's available in the current streaming product.

Reactions: b4pjoe

·
Mentor
553 Posts
The trend in hotels that I have seen is that hotels are cutting the number of channels they offer way down, some just going with OTA only, and the TV is pre-loaded with all the major streaming apps and you log in from your own account.

I (pre c****) spend a lot of time in Central America and that is very common. The local OTA channels and you use streaming for everything else. Which, considering I really cannot speak Spanish well enough to follow the dialogue, is great.
Would agree that this is becoming the norm, also. We've been traveling a decent amount over the past 12 months, and the number of channels available on hotel TV system is definitely not the full slate.

Reactions: SamC

·
Mentor
553 Posts
It would be easier for Amazon to make an arrangement for one game per week than for several overlapping Sunday games but is the Thursday night game that important? I believe the decision could go either way for both offerings.
Yes, the Thursday night game is that important.

·
Mentor
553 Posts
While you guys are trying to figure out what something "actually" costs, here's some an article from Front Row Sports that includes a tidbit of information that I wasn't aware about. Maybe you were, but it's news to me:

Contractual agreements with Fox and CBS prevent the eventual owner of Sunday Ticket from reducing the price too much below the current $300 annual cost.
Based on the article's information, it sounds like NFLST will still be somewhere near, or above, that $300 base package price.

Reactions: NashGuy

·
Mentor
553 Posts
In the meanwhile, the 2022 slate has been updated on the big, bad NFL Sunday Ticket streaming app:
Hockey protective equipment Sports uniform Helmet Football helmet Football equipment

Reactions: compnurd

·
Mentor
553 Posts
Here's a link to the NFL+ service's new splash page:
As a standalone product, and a self-proclaimed NFL preseason nerd, I like this. Before the NFL GamePass days, there was a product called NFL Preseason Live, which cost $25 for the four week preseason. It allowed access to out of market preseason games (and this was before nearly half of the preseason games were live on broadcast, as they are now.)

It's $5/month, and I can cancel out when I want. For the bloggers out there that thrive on the coaches film for their hot takes, $80/season for the "premium" version isn't much. As you mentioned, it might be throwing a wrench in the NFLST negotiation gears, but strictly looking at the NFL+ product offered, I like it.

·
Mentor
553 Posts
PFT references a New York Times article (behind a paywall) but it could simply be the NFL trying to drive up their price for NFST

Report: Google has made a bid for Sunday Ticket - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)
Added thoughts on this, as I'll make assumptions that Google running Sunday Ticket would operate it through their YouTube TV platform: There have been other threads/discussions about having to subscribe to DIRECTV to be able to subscribe to Sunday Ticket, and the roundabout cost of the D* monthly fees. Even as a YTTV subscriber, I'd rather it end up in a platform like Apple TV+, or ESPN+, where although a subscription to the service would be required, the monthly fees are much less than in comparison to a full-fledged provider service like YTTV or D*.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts