DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,476 Posts
I would not be surprised if DirecTV is willing to get out of this season given that they are losing money on it. Of course, if I was them, I’d ask to be bought out of the deal because Apple is certainly willing to pay more than DirecTV is obligated to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and then will they cover all early termination fees? buy back hardware from bars and others places?

·
Hall Of Fame
5,476 Posts
I'm well aware. I also view this as a rather small toe being lightly dipped into the live sports waters.Apple has a lot of handicaps. I don't make assumptions that they're able to move major software projects apace where keeping the "ecosystem" in mind is job one.ESPN has an advantage that the software they distribute isn't designed with an eye on making the ATV software superior in important ways.Our speculation and reasoning is largely meaningless when it comes to Apple because they offer little to nothing to base it upon and they've had some pretty spectacular failures along the way.DIRECTV is a joint venture and as such, they are only required report to TPG and AT&T. TPG and/or AT&T could choose to relay that information but I'm guessing it isn't something they want disseminated.
I seem to recall hearing numbers that were getting close to 1 million back when numbers were still reported and DIRECTV's subscriber base has been ravaged since.
ESPN+ has commercial locations (public view) worked out (as well as the enforcement part) and they just have Joe Hand Promotions, Inc deal with that part.

Now does amazon and apple really want to do that them self's + deal with CS with bar staff who are trying to show an game with what ever swticher setup they have I think that NFLST may not enforce HDCP. Some places even have older component HD systems installed.

Does amazon and apple have an way for each site to have there own sub account with own local logins even if say the site master account is say [email protected]
Will they have say admin roles so that site manger can some admin rights to others under them with out giving that site manger domain admin rights? With google no! with amazon business I think no? with apple no? And I don't think that home office IT will want to deal with day to day tv box issues or deal with needed to add / remove each server from the access list just so they can do basic tv work.

Do they even have an way for multi site accounts to be there own billing / size / programing as that is how TV works each site is billed on it's own, billed based on it's size, has there own locals / has there own blackouts / etc (even with an master franchise discount plan)

·
Hall Of Fame
5,476 Posts
Currently is the key word here. Again, you'd have to be an idiot to think they haven't thought that through.

Also, again, if the venue provides WIFI and it's BYOD, then it's up to the consumer, not the venue to make sure streams are available. If the venue is going to provide the streams, then they will have to work it out with Apple, whether it's to purchase more than 6 streams or, perhaps Apple will have a business tier that provided more. Either way I can't imagine it being more expensive than DIrecTV.
and with an streams cap then they may need an switcher to feed 8-16 streams to any number of tv's.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,476 Posts
Apple is well entrenched in enterprise. You can put an Apple TV on an enterprise account. At under $200 each, they are cheaper than a DirecTV receiver (and use the same HDMI port). Surely Apple has an iPad app to control multiple Apple TV’s in a bar setting that’s more user friendly than anything DirecTV has.
AppleCare for Enterprise is available in volume-based price tiers starting at 200, 1000, and 5000 covered.
Apple also has business stuff.
But public view TV is a different thing. Will apple be able to deal with franchised restaurants where each site needs to be it's own account with it's own blackouts / billing size?

·
Hall Of Fame
5,476 Posts
If you watch ESPN, I don't except for games, but I was laid up for a few weeks and had limited TV so watched some ESPN, and it caters to...first and foremost, NFL football fans. The majority of their day, maybe 50% is spent on NFL stories, even during the off season. So where do they fit in? Their partnership with the NFL includes a lot of off game content, but remember, they have the MNF package and a few playoff games. In 2033? Who knows? They are trying to build up ESPN+ as a viable streaming service and THAT'S their future. Right now it feels like a bit of a joke, but there's a reason why they have brought in a lot of game available through ONLY that service. I could envision them, in the future porting MNF to that service at some point. Heck, it was originally on a broadcast network, then moved to cable. The next logical step is streaming. Amazon is doing it with TNF. Why not MNF. That's where this is going.
and if they push to far then ESPN is gone from the basic on many cable systems unless they make as an add on channel.
Now will they be an push to combine streaming live feeds of say ESPN+ with the cable ESPN? Put the live feeds of ESPN+ on cable??

Will cable / sat more less become only for live feeds (unless we can better muilt cast worked out) + maybe some non live steraming stuff for people who don't have good internet?

other special cases like prsions / jails in where if you take away tv and can't have streaming lifers with nothing to lose may just go off.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,476 Posts
and what happens to streaming if ISP that also have cable TV set the there internet CAPS very low?

Maybe we can get state weights and measures on them so they working and fare meter or they don't botter at all.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,476 Posts
us. Five years from now? We just don't know, but you can bet that folks are already looking into it. That's why I laugh a little when people talk about Apple and how they are going to handle this or that. ESPN on cable, might very well be low on Disney's priority list right now.
But say like some ISP they lag on node upgrades what happens when an neighborhood get's over loaded at peak times? Will ISP push for something like an Netflix Open Connect setup to make it easy to have an live multicast steam + an buffer for non live content?

Cable sues Disney over the local channels being tied to ESPN?

ESPN+ / disney get blocked for all subs of X ISP due to there cable system not haveing ESPN on basic?

·
Hall Of Fame
5,476 Posts
Why would they? It depends on what they are going to prioritize. Remember, some of those cable systems are also developing their own streaming service (the recently announced Charter/Comcast system comes to mind). These systems TOO see the handwriting on the wall. So, you could see cap limits unless they use their own system, which could lead to legal battles. A lot to figure out over the next few years.
Now let's say that is only on Charter/Comcast ISP's will that lead Network neutrality issues?? and can that lead to stuff like no apple tv can not be the only way to get NFL ticket and that NFL must offer it to all cable / steaming systems?

remember the old csn philly rulings?? Let's just say that comes to steamings No terrestrial exception 2.0 allowed now that does not mean that all system will have it but any one can pay for the rights to have it.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,476 Posts
Pre-Covid, everywhere I frequented, including BWW, had a collection of DirecTV remotes and someone walked around shooting it at the receiver behind the TV. The BWW may have needed to go to the receiver closet to set the channel and the pick which TV’s that receiver fed (hence the reason they had to call the manager).

The tech may be there, but my anecdotal experience is that it hasn’t been widely adopted. Granted, 2 years is a long time and things may have changed.

The current Arsenal bar opened in the past year and has new equipment. I suspect they are fairly state of the art compared to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
an system like this?

·
Hall Of Fame
5,476 Posts
Somewhat relevant to the original topic of this thread, i.e. Sunday Ticket streaming via Apple, is today's post by The TV Answer Guy, where he takes a question from a sports bar owner about streaming the upcoming season of Thursday Night Football on Amazon Prime Video.

From the sound of this guy, I suspect there will be a lot of unhappy sports bar owners if Amazon doesn't provide them an alternate way to buy access to their games. Not that Amazon would necessarily care, mind you...
and it sounds like that sports bar is thinking about useing an home account for that.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,476 Posts
Meanwhile, Apple has been subpoenaed in the anti-trust lawsuit involving DirecTV and the NFL even though they do not currently even own the rights to any NFL games.

Maybe someone who is knowledgeable in the law can explain why this subpoena is even valid and why it shouldn't be tossed by the judge.
Now will any teams want to get into the MIX (Say X team wants to be able to sell there own games out of market on there own?)
Teams want the NFL to have an ONE team choice like how the MLB , NBA , NHL has for there out of market packages?

So this news about a new MLS-specific direct-to-consumer streaming service, offered by Apple, is a great illustration of the thesis I've repeatedly laid out about the future of sports broadcasting. To recap, I think we're going to see the vast majority of popular sports' regular season games be sold through services dedicated to a particular sport/league/team. This may be done directly by the owner of the league/team or, as in this case, through a powerful third party such as Apple to help improve the service's distribution/reach. This kind of service is intended to reach serious fans of that particular sport/league/team.
Now how much can the league take away from the team's with out running in to anti-trust issues or Sherman Act issues ?

·
Hall Of Fame
5,476 Posts

Highlights.. New Company will be a Streaming Provider. Directv did not bid as we knew
now will it be on directv and cable like the other sports?
now will it be on directv for commercial only with some like Joe Hand Promotions
what about non commercial homes for people who can't get good internet?

Will people have to get an Canadian sat dish in the USA to get it?

·
Hall Of Fame
5,476 Posts
Between Apple and Amazon, I've always thought Apple was the likelier winning bidder since Amazon is already shelling out $1 billion per year for Thursday Night Football. Because Amazon already has a key piece of the NFL, they'd get less incremental value from buying NFLST than would Apple, who has zero NFL content yet.

That said, I don't totally discount the idea that both Apple and Amazon balk at the price and walk away from the table, leaving the NFL to sell NFLST itself. Although I don't think that scenario is at all probable. Because I think Apple will be willing to pay at least a little more for NFLST than what the NFL could actually earn off it via direct-to-consumer sales, i.e. Apple is willing to lose at least a little money on it to burnish their brand and draw more subs to Apple TV+.
Let's say the cost is very high and need to sell it like the other sports steaming + on cable / sat tv?
the nfl can have direct-to-consumer sales and let directv / dish / cable (indemand) sell it

·
Hall Of Fame
5,476 Posts
Added thoughts on this, as I'll make assumptions that Google running Sunday Ticket would operate it through their YouTube TV platform: There have been other threads/discussions about having to subscribe to DIRECTV to be able to subscribe to Sunday Ticket, and the roundabout cost of the D* monthly fees. Even as a YTTV subscriber, I'd rather it end up in a platform like Apple TV+, or ESPN+, where although a subscription to the service would be required, the monthly fees are much less than in comparison to a full-fledged provider service like YTTV or D*.
then YTTV will need to add back the missing local RSN's and other sports channels. Kind of looks bad to force sports fans into an big TV package that does not even have your local RSN's

1 - 18 of 18 Posts