DBSTalk Forum banner
261 - 280 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The other way they can do it is to tie it to a device for outside the house streaming. So perhaps you can tie it to only 2 cell phones at a time or a cell phone and a streaming device. I'm sure people who want to will figure out ways to get around that, but the casual user who wants to let their family and friends use their account won't bother.
Yeah, that'd work too. Although assuming you're not supposed to share your account with another household, I'm not sure what the rationale would be for allowing one of your out-of-home devices be a TV-connected device. OK, yes, it is nice if you travel a lot to be able to connect your Roku to the TV in the hotel/AirB&B so that all your content is there with you on the big screen, as opposed to watching on your laptop/tablet/phone or settling for whatever they have on their TV.

But this also seems like an edge-case. And I'm sure those streaming services would like to sell subscriptions to those hotels so that those establishments can offer that content via their in-room TVs to all guests (the same way every hotel and motel in the USA would advertise "free HBO" or "free Showtime" starting back in the 70s or 80s).

Rectangle Bumper Billboard Font Automotive exterior
Building Font Art Display device Advertising

·
Hall Of Fame
2,500 Posts
The trend in hotels that I have seen is that hotels are cutting the number of channels they offer way down, some just going with OTA only, and the TV is pre-loaded with all the major streaming apps and you log in from your own account.

I (pre c****) spend a lot of time in Central America and that is very common. The local OTA channels and you use streaming for everything else. Which, considering I really cannot speak Spanish well enough to follow the dialogue, is great.

·
Mentor
482 Posts
The trend in hotels that I have seen is that hotels are cutting the number of channels they offer way down, some just going with OTA only, and the TV is pre-loaded with all the major streaming apps and you log in from your own account.

I (pre c****) spend a lot of time in Central America and that is very common. The local OTA channels and you use streaming for everything else. Which, considering I really cannot speak Spanish well enough to follow the dialogue, is great.
Would agree that this is becoming the norm, also. We've been traveling a decent amount over the past 12 months, and the number of channels available on hotel TV system is definitely not the full slate.

Reactions: SamC

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
We've been traveling a decent amount over the past 12 months, and the number of channels available on hotel TV system is definitely not the full slate.
Given the lack of new and interesting content on so many of the traditional cable channels, hotels are suffering the same choices that we are and are increasingly choosing not to waste their money.

·
Icon
1,549 Posts
Would agree that this is becoming the norm, also. We've been traveling a decent amount over the past 12 months, and the number of channels available on hotel TV system is definitely not the full slate.
It’s been a long time since I even bothered with what the hotel offered. We have a FireTV Stick 4k that we use just for travel. We connect it to the hotel tv and either use the hotel WiFi or if we can’t or they charge a fee we just connect to our phone hotspot. Same when we go on family vacations and rent houses. It’s convenient having all the same content just like we are at home.

Reactions: gio12 and B. Shoe

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
It’s been a long time since I even bothered with what the hotel offered. We have a FireTV Stick 4k that we use just for travel. We connect it to the hotel tv and either use the hotel WiFi or if we can’t or they charge a fee we just connect to our phone hotspot. Same when we go on family vacations and rent houses. It’s convenient having all the same content just like we are at home.
I agree, it is convenient for consumers who do that. I'm just proposing that that kind of out-of-home TV usage may not always be included at no additional charge for OTT services as they look to crack down on sharing between households.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Agreed. They'll make some noise about it at least once more, to get American consumers conditioned to what's coming, before they finally do drop the bomb on us. If it hasn't arrived here within the next 12 months, I'll be quite surprised. And I expect an ad-supported Netflix plan to become available in the US by the end of 2023, if not sooner.
Just as a follow-up on my own post, the latest word out of Netflix this week is that both the password-sharing crackdown and a new cheaper ad-supported plan will be introduced in the US in 4Q 22, i.e. about 6 months from now.

·
Icon
1,549 Posts
I agree, it is convenient for consumers who do that. I'm just proposing that that kind of out-of-home TV usage may not always be included at no additional charge for OTT services as they look to crack down on sharing between households.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Luckily for us when we travel their is no one at home using any services. If they do change things though it will be a consideration for us to drop the service if they prevent us from using it when traveling.

Reactions: NashGuy

·
Super Moderator
53,493 Posts
The target for Netflix is not the causal out of home user but the serial account sharer. They are looking for people sharing with 15 different locations across the country. The estimated $2 fee per such share is reasonable (instead of defining a home IP and requiring a separate full price account for more than a couple devices outside of the registered home). I'm not sure what kind of user experience subscribers get sharing a four stream account with 15 users but apparently that is happening as that is the example given by Netflix. Their new restriction may catch some families who sent a kid away to college or children of divorce who use one parent's account at another parent's house. But Netflix is targeting completely separate households sharing an account.

·
Godfather
800 Posts
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Luckily for us when we travel their is no one at home using any services. If they do change things though it will be a consideration for us to drop the service if they prevent us from using it when traveling.
This, of course, is the risk of a crackdown. Cracking down on people sharing the account with a parent, child, sibling, etc may result in collateral damage of losing more subscribers than revenue gained.

·
Super Moderator
53,493 Posts
And the risk of not cracking down is continuing loss of revenue. Netflix needs paid accounts to pay the debt for their library of content. They may lose subscribers that are gaming the system and oversharing ... but they are gaining subscribers that were not paying.

If you are sharing your account with 10 friends and cancel because you don't like the new policy all it takes is one of those friends to get their own account for Netflix to break even and two full price accounts for Netflix to win. The proposed $2 per share fee is a partial victory for Netflix that I believe a lot of people will accept rather than buy additional full price accounts.

·
Legend
153 Posts
The target for Netflix is not the causal out of home user but the serial account sharer. They are looking for people sharing with 15 different locations across the country. The estimated $2 fee per such share is reasonable (instead of defining a home IP and requiring a separate full price account for more than a couple devices outside of the registered home). I'm not sure what kind of user experience subscribers get sharing a four stream account with 15 users but apparently that is happening as that is the example given by Netflix. Their new restriction may catch some families who sent a kid away to college or children of divorce who use one parent's account at another parent's house. But Netflix is targeting completely separate households sharing an account.
That may be true. But are there really that many "serial account sharers"? Netflix saying that there are 100 million freeloaders is really hyperbole. This reminds me of a few years back when everyone was claiming that eliminating piracy would basically double their income. That was BS then and the amount that Netflix claims are freeloaders is bs now. These major sharers aren't the main problem for Netflix. As a matter of fact, Netflix didn't really name the major problem their service has. And that is lack of quality programming and cancelling their few quality programs too soon. If they can't admit this, then the drop in subscribers won't end anytime soon.

·
Icon
1,549 Posts
I agree that is their target. The problem might be how they implement the restrictions. The devil will be in the details and what issues, if any, it causes for those folks not specifically in the target population.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Somewhat relevant to the original topic of this thread, i.e. Sunday Ticket streaming via Apple, is today's post by The TV Answer Guy, where he takes a question from a sports bar owner about streaming the upcoming season of Thursday Night Football on Amazon Prime Video.

From the sound of this guy, I suspect there will be a lot of unhappy sports bar owners if Amazon doesn't provide them an alternate way to buy access to their games. Not that Amazon would necessarily care, mind you...

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
I'm not sure there was a response to the question buried in Swanni's reply.

If the establishments aren't already using distribution systems, they need to get with the program.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,426 Posts
Somewhat relevant to the original topic of this thread, i.e. Sunday Ticket streaming via Apple, is today's post by The TV Answer Guy, where he takes a question from a sports bar owner about streaming the upcoming season of Thursday Night Football on Amazon Prime Video.

From the sound of this guy, I suspect there will be a lot of unhappy sports bar owners if Amazon doesn't provide them an alternate way to buy access to their games. Not that Amazon would necessarily care, mind you...
and it sounds like that sports bar is thinking about useing an home account for that.

·
Super Moderator
53,493 Posts
I'm not sure there was a response to the question buried in Swanni's reply.
To that specific person's question it took a few paragraphs of skimming to find the answer:

"But there is some good news here. In the markets where the teams are located, one local channel will carry the game. That means you won’t have to stream Amazon in Kansas City and San Diego. You will be able to see the game on a local network affiliate via an antenna or pay TV service."

For out of market bars trying to show the Thursday Night game, streaming (whether licensed for public viewing or not) seems to be the only option. Does Amazon care? Will Amazon or the NFL try to enforce residential viewing only rules? I believe the NFL will enforce residential only if Sunday Ticket is not officially available to commercial establishments.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
For out of market bars trying to show the Thursday Night game, streaming (whether licensed for public viewing or not) seems to be the only option. Does Amazon care? Will Amazon or the NFL try to enforce residential viewing only rules? I believe the NFL will enforce residential only if Sunday Ticket is not officially available to commercial establishments.
Yup. But as I said last year, let's see what happens this fall with out-of-market TNF games in sports bars. That should be a good indicator of what may happen with NFLST next year. (Well, at least, if we see Amazon make alternate arrangements for sports bars to show TNF, e.g. via DirecTV, then I'd say that will set a precedent for what happens later with NFLST.)

·
Super Moderator
53,493 Posts
It would be easier for Amazon to make an arrangement for one game per week than for several overlapping Sunday games but is the Thursday night game that important? I believe the decision could go either way for both offerings.

261 - 280 of 282 Posts