DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Not sure if anyone is interested in this but I thought I'd post what I've been doing with the HR20 and Sunday Ticket. Perhaps it will help enhance your viewing and hopefully others will post their tips.

NOTE: This is not a discussion about dual buffers as they aren't available. There are various work around posted in the main tips and tricks if you want to try them. Personally I don't use 'em as I can live without dual buffers...but that is another thread and another story.

Favorites and the Mini Guide
Many don't realize that pushing the blue button brings up the one line mini-guide. So how can we optimize this for ST?
First click the Menu and go to favorites (may be called channel list, I can't remember). I think many have already setup one favorites list. I call this "Normal" which has all my channels in total that I receiver/care about.
You can create two lists so I have a second list called "NFL".

If you don't already you can have DirecTV email you the current weeks ST schedule with channel numbers, SD *and* HD. This is the most useful item and it comes on Thursday's usually.
I take this list, figure out which games are on my locals and make a note of that.
Then I edit the NFL favorites list to include my CBS and Fox locals if they have a game, 701 (Game Mix channel), SD channels of games not in HD (unless it's on a local at which point it will be blacked out so don't include it), and all the HD channels with games. Add in the Red Zone channel if you wish.
Save that, make it the default channel list and exit.

Now when I hit the blue button the mini guide only includes the current games.
ONLY do this for the early games. Also if you go into the normal guide only the games will be displayed.

For the late games I'll edit the NFL favorite list again and take out all the early games and add in only the late games. Nice thing about the HR20 is you can do all this and still watch whatever game you're on.

By using this blue button mini guide I can very quickly switch between games.

Interactive Player Tracker
This may only interest you if you play fantasy football.
Go to channel 795. Within 15-20 seconds you'll be prompted to press the red button to go to player tracker. Do that.
Once there it will show you what buttons to push to do certain things.
Press Green to add players, up to 9.
Yellow give you the list of your players.
Blue sets your preferences.

BE SURE TO SAVE YOUR LIST!

Also note that the list gets wiped out if the receiver is rebooted/reset.

I personally set a list for early games and then another list for late games.

Once set during the games you'll get an alert banner when your player does the following:
"Big play" for over 10 yards
Scores (TD, FG, extra point)
Hits a milestone such as 50, 100, 150 yards
Sacks, INTs, fumble recoveries for defenses.

Love to hear any other tips!

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
bonscott87 said:
...unless it's on a local at which point it will be blacked out so don't include it...
FYI, for whatever reason HD channels are not blacked out. Right now Giants/Panthers is showing on my local FOX. The SD channel is not available but the HD channel is.

Dual Tuners with ST was great. I would watch the Red Zone Channel and switch tuners to a hot game/player and go back and forth all day. Now the delay is so long I tend just to leave it on RZC, if only it were in HD....

·
Legend
139 Posts
It was mentioned as part of the SuperFan package this year, that all ST HD games would be broadcast this year with no Hi Def blackouts, and only SD feeds would be blacked out.

·
AllStar
88 Posts
fratwell said:
It was mentioned as part of the SuperFan package this year, that all ST HD games would be broadcast this year with no Hi Def blackouts, and only SD feeds would be blacked out.
That is what I thought. However, today has been a little different. Just a couple of minutes ago, I tried to tune to 726 to watch Seattle/Arizona and got the blackout message. The game is on locally. However, the Denver/SD game is also on locally but is also available on 725. I'm starting to wonder if it has anything to do with whether or not HD locals are available in your area. In other words, I receive FOX in HD through Mpeg 4 locals but I don't receive CBS through Mpeg 4 locals. Could that have any impact on whether the ST HD version would be available or not. I don't know but if not, why would Seattle/Arizona be blacked out and not Denver/SD? Weird.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
1Indy79 said:
That is what I thought. However, today has been a little different. Just a couple of minutes ago, I tried to tune to 726 to watch Seattle/Arizona and got the blackout message. The game is on locally. However, the Denver/SD game is also on locally but is also available on 725. I'm starting to wonder if it has anything to do with whether or not HD locals are available in your area. In other words, I receive FOX in HD through Mpeg 4 locals but I don't receive CBS through Mpeg 4 locals. Could that have any impact on whether the ST HD version would be available or not. I don't know but if not, why would Seattle/Arizona be blacked out and not Denver/SD? Weird.
I'm watching the Superfan HD Bolts-Broncos game now on 725 because my CBS HD local is having terrible signal issues today - blocking, breakup, screen freezes, terrible distortion, etc. It's as if something is blocking the signal - my first thought was a bird sitting on my dish or something because I know it's not weather (high thin clouds today). The Superfan picture is perfect.

·
AllStar
88 Posts
LameLefty said:
I'm watching the Superfan HD Bolts-Broncos game now on 725 because my CBS HD local is having terrible signal issues today - blocking, breakup, screen freezes, terrible distortion, etc. It's as if something is blocking the signal - my first thought was a bird sitting on my dish or something because I know it's not weather (high thin clouds today). The Superfan picture is perfect.
LameLefty......3 questions....1) can you get the Seattle/Arizona game, 2) Is it on locally, and 3) do you get FOX hd locals through D*? I'm trying to figure out if there is a connection between my Sea/Ari blackout and the fact that I get FOX in HD locals. thx.

·
9,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't been blacked out on the HD Sunday Ticket channels all season...until today. My MPEG4 HD locals just went up in the past couple weeks.
The game that was on my local Fox station in HD was blacked out on SuperFan HD.
But the CBS HD game on my local is not blacked out on SuperFan HD.

The SD games of course are blacked out and have been all year if it was on my local.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
1Indy79 said:
LameLefty......3 questions....1) can you get the Seattle/Arizona game, 2) Is it on locally, and 3) do you get FOX hd locals through D*? I'm trying to figure out if there is a connection between my Sea/Ari blackout and the fact that I get FOX in HD locals. thx.
1. Yes, through Superfan HD
2. No, my Fox MPEG4 local is showing the Packers at the 49'ers (which I can also watch on ch. 727)
3. Yes.

In my case, my CBS MPEG4 local is showing the same game in HD that I switched over to the Superfan channel because of picture quality issues.

·
Legend
220 Posts
O2BRich said:
Does player tracker alerts work on the ST HD channels as well?
Neither the Player Stats page, nor the Game Stats (ie. the green button) are available on NFL ST HD channels.

I have not seen any alerts on the HD channels either.

·
9,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sonofjay said:
Neither the Player Stats page, nor the Game Stats (ie. the green button) are available on NFL ST HD channels.

Alerts work great on all channels, SD or HD. Saw plenty for LT today. :)

Remember that you only see alerts for "big" plays.

I don't know about the green button for stats, I don't use it.

·
AllStar
88 Posts
LameLefty said:
1. Yes, through Superfan HD
2. No, my Fox MPEG4 local is showing the Packers at the 49'ers (which I can also watch on ch. 727)
3. Yes.

In my case, my CBS MPEG4 local is showing the same game in HD that I switched over to the Superfan channel because of picture quality issues.
Hmmmm......interesting. So, Scott and I are blacked out on FOX but not CBS and Lefty is not blacked out at all. I don't see any rhyme or reason for it....odd.

·
9,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1Indy79 said:
Hmmmm......interesting. So, Scott and I are blacked out on FOX but not CBS and Lefty is not blacked out at all. I don't see any rhyme or reason for it....odd.
Just to add that I haven't been blacked out all season on HD. This is the first week it's happened. I just assumed it was because my locals are up in MPEG4 now (both CBS and Fox). My actual surprise is that it was only the Fox feed that was blacked out.

·
Legend
179 Posts
sonofjay said:

They work on the HD channels!!!

I figured out why I was not seeing them. I would record the show wait 30 minutes then watch the recording. I need to watch it live (buffered) to get the alerts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.