DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Legend
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if Directv will sign another long term deal with the NFL Sunday Ticket to be exclusive or will it be open to all cable and satellite companies? What is your take on this? I know the contract is up after next year.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,427 Posts
GiantsFan383 said:
Just wondering if Directv will sign another long term deal with the NFL Sunday Ticket to be exclusive or will it be open to all cable and satellite companies? What is your take on this? I know the contract is up after next year.
right the cable co are in a better place to pick it up as they have killed off analog.

But cable is not all over the place so you may see it on cable and directv.

·
Armchair Referee
529 Posts
Seeing that D* has the proper infrastructure to carry and deliver all of the NFL games unlike cable, factor Dish's frugality and the NFL's long term deals with CBS and FOX. I suspect NFLST will remain a de facto exclusive of D*.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I think it's interesting that DirecTV did not renew its contract for Sunday Ticket when the networks renewed their deals earlier this year. In the past, the DirecTV extended its contract about the same time as when the networks extended theirs. I predict DirecTV will continue to offer NFL Sunday ticket after next year, but that the package will be carried on a non exclusive basis.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,224 Posts
"gpg" said:
I think it's interesting that DirecTV did not renew its contract for Sunday Ticket when the networks renewed their deals earlier this year. In the past, the DirecTV extended its contract about the same time as when the networks extended theirs. I predict DirecTV will continue to offer NFL Sunday ticket after next year, but that the package will be carried on a non exclusive basis.
I could see it being something available through Directv or through NFL.com on Mobile devices and such. Still don't know if I'm sold on cable getting it since they to this day through In Demand show limited HD games on there. You'd think in 2012 they'd show more than 3 or 4 games a day in HD which last time I saw is about all they were doing.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,427 Posts
zimm7778 said:
I could see it being something available through Directv or through NFL.com on Mobile devices and such. Still don't know if I'm sold on cable getting it since they to this day through In Demand show limited HD games on there. You'd think in 2012 they'd show more than 3 or 4 games a day in HD which last time I saw is about all they were doing.
well comcast wanted NFL ticket in the past and they like where going to bypass In Demand in to get it done.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,427 Posts
zimm7778 said:
and for cable will there SDV system be able to handle a bar sucking up 8-14 HD feeds (likely all sports ones that are SDV switched) at one time + all other use on the same node?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,224 Posts
"JoeTheDragon" said:
and for cable will there SDV system be able to handle a bar sucking up 8-14 HD feeds (likely all sports ones that are SDV switched) at one time + all other use on the same node?
I'm not the person to ask. I'm not in to technical stuff so I have no real idea what you are asking.

·
Icon
529 Posts
The package is clearly not worth what it once was. The addition of the Thursday Night package on NFLN is one less game each week. In addition to Sunday and Monday nights and bye weeks the number of Sunday games is dwindling. Some Sundays last season the 4pm slot had as few as three games.

·
Legend
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah right RD...it's not worth what it was one was.That's why I don't think Directv would take it for an outrageous price anymore if they were to take the package. Maybe dish network will bid for it, the nfl will try to keep it exclusive I would think. Nfl only has 1 choice either go with the 2 sat companies or distribute to everyone. They would probably make more money by distributing it to everybody.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,218 Posts
If the NFL distributes it to everyone they will make less because the TV providers won't pay as much for something that isn't exclusive.

It's the NFL's advantage to be linked up with a company that can provide NFLST to the entire country. Cable can only go into the markets they reside in...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
If the NFL continues to insist on one exclusive distributor, then I think DirecTV will keep it. If the NFL abandons exclusivity, then DirecTV will be one of the distributors. I can't see DirecTV risking the loss of 2,000,000 subscribers by losing Sunday Ticket completely.

·
Godfather
480 Posts
"Justin23" said:
If the NFL distributes it to everyone they will make less because the TV providers won't pay as much for something that isn't exclusive.

It's the NFL's advantage to be linked up with a company that can provide NFLST to the entire country. Cable can only go into the markets they reside in...
This.

·
Hall Of Fame
12,971 Posts
"JoeTheDragon" said:
well comcast wanted NFL ticket in the past and they like where going to bypass In Demand in to get it done.
This is the same Comcast that just cut premium channels for bandwidth? They wrote going to commit temporary space to the nfl? Right. They are among the worst for out of town sports.

They don't even do hd alternates for the BTN in big ten territory.

·
Godfather
480 Posts
"tonyd79" said:
This is the same Comcast that just cut premium channels for bandwidth? They wrote going to commit temporary space to the nfl? Right. They are among the worst for out of town sports.

They don't even do hd alternates for the BTN in big ten territory.
I don't know who you are but you are the voice of reason. Seriously. With this thread and your many posts, which are spot on I might add, about the PAC-12 Network(s) in that thread you rock my friend. Keep up the good work!

·
Godfather
480 Posts
"GiantsFan383" said:
I understand this but what about the people who can't get satellite that would like the package or directv haters? Maybe it will be less money but they would gain more people so it could be a wash.
It's more about pleasing their broadcast partners, Fox and CBS, than pleasing more people. Those networks pay quite a bit of money to air games and they would lose ad dollars if more people have access to Sunday Ticket.

·
Hall Of Fame
12,971 Posts
FenixTX said:
It's more about pleasing their broadcast partners, Fox and CBS, than pleasing more people. Those networks pay quite a bit of money to air games and they would lose ad dollars if more people have access to Sunday Ticket.
That has always been the theory. Not sure it has been confirmd but the NFL has deliberately gone after a single partner for Sunday Ticket almost from the beginning. They had to make some deals with the networks to get the games (for example, I think Sirius XM stll does not get games from the Titans).

The NFL is not dumb when it comes to marketing itself and its programming. They have made some missteps but not many.

Not only do they want to keep the value of the CBS/Fox contracts, but they control the quality of their presentation. They know that DirecTV gives them quality. They do not trust In Demand (and neither would I. Not only has In Demand been horrible at sending HD out; they are up to 7 channels but very few have more than 4 for baseball, et al. Plus I have seen the In Demand HD for EI; it looks bad even on Fios!). They have no inkling that Comcast, a hodgepodge of varying systems that, in many places, still has major bandwidth issues can deliver consistently. Plus they want a national footprint. Not regional. A single, monolithic prescense. That is the NFL. And only DirecTV can give them that (well, Dish could, but they are not a sports oriented provider).

They are very happy with DirecTV and would not want to dilute or confuse the product.

·
Hall Of Fame
12,971 Posts
FenixTX said:
I don't know who you are but you are the voice of reason. Seriously. With this thread and your many posts, which are spot on I might add, about the PAC-12 Network(s) in that thread you rock my friend. Keep up the good work!
Thanks but I am not that good. I just try to stay logical and fair. Just cause it is the internet doesn't mean it should only be yelling and arguing just to argue.

(I only get messed up when people accuse me of being a shill or an employee of DirecTV...those folks miss when I absolutely roast DirecTV on some of their decisions.)

·
Hall Of Fame
5,427 Posts
tonyd79 said:
That has always been the theory. Not sure it has been confirmd but the NFL has deliberately gone after a single partner for Sunday Ticket almost from the beginning. They had to make some deals with the networks to get the games (for example, I think Sirius XM stll does not get games from the Titans).

The NFL is not dumb when it comes to marketing itself and its programming. They have made some missteps but not many.

Not only do they want to keep the value of the CBS/Fox contracts, but they control the quality of their presentation. They know that DirecTV gives them quality. They do not trust In Demand (and neither would I. Not only has In Demand been horrible at sending HD out; they are up to 7 channels but very few have more than 4 for baseball, et al. Plus I have seen the In Demand HD for EI; it looks bad even on Fios!). They have no inkling that Comcast, a hodgepodge of varying systems that, in many places, still has major bandwidth issues can deliver consistently. Plus they want a national footprint. Not regional. A single, monolithic prescense. That is the NFL. And only DirecTV can give them that (well, Dish could, but they are not a sports oriented provider).

They are very happy with DirecTV and would not want to dilute or confuse the product.
well there may be some legal pressure to open it to cable. In canada it's on just about all systems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.