DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Icon
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to know what teams will play in my market to evaluate if I want/need NFL Sunday Ticket? Any help would be appreciated. I live near Knoxville, TN and looking for Green Bay Packer games.

THANKS!

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,664 Posts
If the Packer games are deemed the National game of the week in your DMA, then no need for ST. I don’t see that happening every week though.

Reactions: dtv757 and compnurd

·
Icon
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the Packer games are deemed the National game of the week in your DMA, then no need for ST. I don’t see that happening every week though.
So how can I identify my DMA and when they would be deemed the national game of the week? I understand it won't happen every week but if I get quite a few games in my DMA I can drop ST and go to a bar if it is a game I want to see.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Basically whichever games are broadcast by your local Fox or CBS will be unavailable on ST. Usually 3-4 games/week.

Is there a way to know what teams will play in my market to evaluate if I want/need NFL Sunday Ticket? Any help would be appreciated. I live near Knoxville, TN and looking for Green Bay Packer games.

THANKS!

·
Mentor
495 Posts
There is a little bit of a science to this. The Knoxville seems to be a little bit of an outlier to this, though.

Outside of obviously assigning games to home markets, each local FOX and CBS affiliate has and opportunity to provide the NFL its top three preferred teams to broadcast in the Sunday early and late windows. Biggest two examples of this are:
  • Dallas/Fort Worth market broadcasts a lot of NFC East games in windows when Dallas isn't playing.
  • You'll sometimes see it in an odd market when a quarterback from a west coast college gets drafted to an east coast team, and that west coast market wants to see that QB in action.
How does this come all come into play? My local FOX market has always preferred, since the Rams took off to sunny L.A. skies, Chicago, Green Bay and Minnesota. So it works like this. Let's say Chicago and Green Bay are playing in the early window against different teams. Chicago gets the broadcast. If it's a single-header week for FOX, and let's say Green Bay is playing the early window, and Chicago is in the late window; Chicago gets the broadcast, and Green Bay doesn't get aired.

If it's a week where Chicago is playing a primetime game, then Green Bay takes the Sunday priority, followed by Minnesota. After that, it's usually the national A-game or whatever the NFL sees fit.

Again, this isn't an ironclad formula. The NFL can do whatever they want, and normally do in the latter weeks of the season. And looking back through last year's maps, it looks like the NFC South teams (mainly Atlanta and Carolina) seem to get priority in your market, followed by New Orleans. But it was definitely a grab bag last season.

·
Icon
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a little bit of a science to this. The Knoxville seems to be a little bit of an outlier to this, though.

Outside of obviously assigning games to home markets, each local FOX and CBS affiliate has and opportunity to provide the NFL its top three preferred teams to broadcast in the Sunday early and late windows. Biggest two examples of this are:
  • Dallas/Fort Worth market broadcasts a lot of NFC East games in windows when Dallas isn't playing.
  • You'll sometimes see it in an odd market when a quarterback from a west coast college gets drafted to an east coast team, and that west coast market wants to see that QB in action.
How does this come all come into play? My local FOX market has always preferred, since the Rams took off to sunny L.A. skies, Chicago, Green Bay and Minnesota. So it works like this. Let's say Chicago and Green Bay are playing in the early window against different teams. Chicago gets the broadcast. If it's a single-header week for FOX, and let's say Green Bay is playing the early window, and Chicago is in the late window; Chicago gets the broadcast, and Green Bay doesn't get aired.

If it's a week where Chicago is playing a primetime game, then Green Bay takes the Sunday priority, followed by Minnesota. After that, it's usually the national A-game or whatever the NFL sees fit.

Again, this isn't an ironclad formula. The NFL can do whatever they want, and normally do in the latter weeks of the season. And looking back through last year's maps, it looks like the NFC South teams (mainly Atlanta and Carolina) seem to get priority in your market, followed by New Orleans. But it was definitely a grab bag last season.
Thank you, appreciate the information!

·
Hall Of Fame
4,976 Posts
So how can I identify my DMA and when they would be deemed the national game of the week? I understand it won't happen every week but if I get quite a few games in my DMA I can drop ST and go to a bar if it is a game I want to see.
I found this when looking for your DMA. Helpful tool actually. Also per DirecTV, there is the locals for that area. This shows you what Fox and CBS you will get.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Slope

·
1,208 Posts
I got the e-mail today for the free Sunday ticket max 2022.. I'm sure there giving it away to hold onto as many subs as they can till the end of the year making it look good in the share holders eye's. I called in threatened to cancel after a glitch in there system saying my promos expire in two different months for the big one. God can't these twits get anything right😆. So I had to call in twice since the first rep was a clueless idiot and would rather loose me than look into the problem and see what was going on.

·
Super Moderator
53,574 Posts
I wonder if this will affect the cash discounts DIRECTV offers. After giving people Sunday Ticket free will they also give the $40 per month (or better) that many people have reported? For people who would or have paid for Sunday Ticket getting it free would be a discount. For those less interested in the NFL they may prefer a cash discount.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,652 Posts
I wonder if this will affect the cash discounts DIRECTV offers.
What would be the downside for DIRECTV or TPG up to the point of reaching the AT&T NFLST funding support limit? It would seem to be "free money".

·
Premium Member
11,305 Posts
I wonder if this will affect the cash discounts DIRECTV offers. After giving people Sunday Ticket free will they also give the $40 per month (or better) that many people have reported? For people who would or have paid for Sunday Ticket getting it free would be a discount. For those less interested in the NFL they may prefer a cash discount.
Giving away NFLST is cost free for Directv, unless they give it to someone who almost definitely would have remained a customer and purchased NFLST regardless.

·
Super Moderator
53,574 Posts
What would be the downside for DIRECTV or TPG up to the point of reaching the AT&T NFLST funding support limit? It would seem to be "free money".
That was not the question. The question was whether DIRECTV will give cash discounts to people who also received (with or without requesting it) the free NFL ST bonus.

While "free NFL ST" is intended as a thank you / retention offer some customers might want cash instead of NFL ST.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,652 Posts
The question was whether DIRECTV will give cash discounts to people who also received (with or without requesting it) the free NFL ST bonus.
NFLST is free promotional material (swag) up to a point so there's mostly upside for DIRECTV in giving it away.

Discounts can't be given away randomly as swag can. Discounts substantially hit DIRECTV's bottom line so they must be handed out with great care (in established retention situations).

It is in everyone's best interest to paint the best looking financial picture as AT&T and TPG struggle to free themselves of the yoke of DIRECTV.

·
Super Moderator
53,574 Posts
NFLST is free promotional material (swag) up to a point so there's mostly upside for DIRECTV in giving it away.

Discounts can't be given away randomly as swag can. Discounts substantially hit DIRECTV's bottom line so they must be handed out with great care (in established retention situations).
Not an answer to the question but you don't have the answer so I should not expect one from you.

It is in everyone's best interest to paint the best looking financial picture as AT&T and TPG struggle to free themselves of the yoke of DIRECTV.
Tightly held private financial pictures ... with the only outsiders who would need to see the number having a lot more experience in the satellite marketplace than AT&T or TPG (or even retained talent at DIRECTV as they have changed control many times since they were created).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts