DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Icon
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking that since both Dish Network standard def programmingand Supervideocds have comprable resolutions 480x480 and Dish Network ALLEGEDLY has comprable bitrates to SVCDs, that the picture quality would be similar.
I made some SVCDs from high defintion movie trailers, and I created Pan and Scan and Anamorphic Widescreen SVCDs.
I encoded all the SVCDs at about 2.6 Mbps and used a VCD header trick to get my settop dvd recorder to play them.
I was SHOCKED and I mean SHOCKED at how GIGANIC the advantage there was in picture quality for SVCDs compared to Dish Network's standard def channels INCLUDING PPV channels. The biggest advantage was that there was no SOFTNESS on SVCDs like there is on Dish Network. On Dish Network many people with bad skin look like they have perfect skin because Dish Network basically gives you an OUT OF FOCUS look like you put vasoline on the camera lens or something. Picture qualtiy is a very subjective thing, but in my opinion SVCDs had about 4 times better picture quality than standard def Dish Network channels.
Others may disagree, but I think even Stevie Wonder would say that SVCDs have at least 2 times beter picture quality. I realize that on the fly encoding can't compete thorough encoding with unlimited time, but that still doesn't explain the 4x worse picture quality. I would have to say that the bitrates of Dish Network SD programming must be even worse than I thought.
I have 58 credits now, and I can't wait till Summer 2009 when Godwilling I will have my degree, move out and get 4DTV and an OTA and NEVER EVER have to view BLUR Network's overcompressed programming again.
I'm going to probably get a 1080P HDTV and Blue Ray player in 2007 to go with my surround sound System so I can actually have some GREAT PICTURE QUALITY to hold me over till I get 4DTV. Hopefully 4DTV and OTA will have some 1080P programming by 2007.
I don't see how anyone who can afford 4DTV and install it legally in their residence would EVER EVER in a million years settle for BLUR Network.
Anway, here are some SVCD screen shots I took.
The tiny red green and blue line at the top of the image is just a side effect of going into Anamorphic Mode on my tv through the service menu.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
I really doubt anything will broadcast in 1080p for quite some time, let alone a year from now. Networks are having a hard enough time with 1080i and 720p.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,411 Posts
Who suggested that 4DTV isn't compressed? It uses MPEG2 just like everyone else.

Until you can compare both systems side-by-side, you should probably hold off on direct comparisons. You can certainly complain about what you're getting from Dish though.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
The funniest was back in 2000 or 2001 when he posted a picture on DBSForums of a Tech TV screen cap that was obviously doctored that he thought was real or tried to pass off like it was real showing the pixelation on Dish.

·
Icon
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nobody said it isn't compressed, it's not OVERCOMPRESSED.
Analog C-band is be best for interlaced scan standard definition programming, but HDTV ain't analog at least in the US.

harsh said:
Who suggested that 4DTV isn't compressed? It uses MPEG2 just like everyone else.

Until you can compare both systems side-by-side, you should probably hold off on direct comparisons. You can certainly complain about what you're getting from Dish though.

·
Icon
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I was originally going to post screen shots from both SVCDs and Dish, but you really can't really make a direct comparison between Dish and SVCDs from a photo. That being said, I still think that even these compressed, downrezed screenshots of an SVCD can give you an idea of how much superior SVCD picture qualtiy is than SD Dish.

Richard King said:
Umm. Why did you post those pictures?

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Jack White said:
...but HDTV ain't analog at least in the US.
...and what a real frackin' shame that is, Jack!

I'm sure that one day we'll all be longing for the good old days of NTSC. Not! :nono:

:rolleyes:

·
Icon
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nick said:
...and what a real frackin' shame that is, Jack!

I'm sure that one day we'll all be longing for the good old days of NTSC. Not! :nono:

:rolleyes:
Well, 35mm and 70mm film are analog and they look fairly decent.
I think I read that 35 mm film is like comprable to 25 megapixels.
Blue Ray only has like 2.1 megapixels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.