DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to dish, and have previously used Directv's old Philips Tivo dual tuner. With that box I was used to using their Live TV swap button.

I now have a Dish VIP722 in single mode with OTA antenna for locals. When I first tune in the swap button seems to work correctly, toggling between the two satellite tuners. Then, let’s say, I put an OTA channel on. It still works fine, toggling between the OTA channel and whatever I have on the other sat tuner.

Now here is the problem. At this point the tuner that is on OTA is stuck on OTA. In other words, use any of the channels over the antenna. But when I guide up to a satellite channel, it takes over the other tuner, leaving the original tuner on whatever OTA channel it was on.

In other words, once I go to an OTA channel, I no longer have two sat tuner and an OTA tuner, I just have one Sat tuner and an OTA tuner.

The only way I found to get back to swapping between two sat programs is to walk up to the unit and switch it to dual mode, then back to single mode.

Thanks for any help / advice...

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
Hi, and welcome...

Assuming you are not recording anything... Swapping normally swaps between the two satellite tuners. If you change one to OTA, then swapping goes between the sat and OTA... You should be able to swap to the tuner that is on OTA and either type a channel number in or go to the EPG and select something and then you'll be back to using both satellite tuners.

I've experienced what you are talking about when recording. IF you are recording on a satellite tuner (say HBO) then you might be swapping between the other satellite tuner and the one that is recording... BUT once you tune to an OTA channel, then you start swapping between OTA and the non-recording satellite tuner. This seems to be intentional behavior so that you can still do PiP features with the other available tuners when one is being used for recording.

So when having the problem you mention are you recording something?

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

Actually, as of last night the DVR started working as expected. I could swap between satellite programing and OTA, Then change the OTA channel to satellite and switch between the two satellite stations.

I'm not quite sure what cuased the change, but I'm guessing that being a new unit the it needed to get some initial updates of software or something...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.