DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Legend
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The installer came today and brought an HR24 and H24 and I already had an HR24 so he installed both HR24's and the single H24. He hooked up the power inserter to back of one of the HR 24's. Is that all right? He also converted my previous Dish to SWiM. I did not see him do any testing of signals at the receivers. I assume since the dish was already there that he left that part alone, though I also suspect he may have moved the dish--sorry, I just can't remember for certain. I am a former DTV customer, about a year ago, and came back to DTV.

I am attaching some pictures of how cable from dish is connected to outside splitter that runs into my house. Let me know what you think. It looks like he first went to one splitter with one cable and one cable from there to another splitter that has 3 cables going into my house. The first splitter has a ground wire attached.

Attachments

·
Icon
716 Posts
Cavicchi said:
Hi all,

The installer came today and brought an HR24 and H24 and I already had an HR24 so he installed both HR24's and the single H24. He hooked up the power inserter to back of one of the HR 24's. Is that all right? He also converted my previous Dish to SWiM. I did not see him do any testing of signals at the receivers. I assume since the dish was already there that he left that part alone, though I also suspect he may have moved the dish--sorry, I just can't remember for certain. I am a former DTV customer, about a year ago, and came back to DTV.

I am attaching some pictures of how cable from dish is connected to outside splitter that runs into my house. Let me know what you think. It looks like he first went to one splitter with one cable and one cable from there to another splitter that has 3 cables going into my house. The first splitter has a ground wire attached.
The "first splitter" is really a ground block, required for most installations for protection.

·
Icon
668 Posts
The 'first splitter' is just a ground block. He really didn't have to use that, since its perfectly legal to just ground the 4-way splitter.

I would hope he checked the dish alignment... how are your signals?

Enjoy your new '24s :)

·
Legend
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dwcolvin said:
The 'first splitter' is just a ground block. He really didn't have to use that, since its perfectly legal to just ground the 4-way splitter.

I would hope he checked the dish alignment... how are your signals?

Enjoy your new '24s :)
I received a call, recording asking me to rate the installer, from DTV and I was transferred to a live DTV person. :) I told him I never saw the installer check signal strength and later received a call from the installer company--they set me up for tomorrow to check the signal strength.

I did find some low numbers for 99 and also 1-8 & 17-24 on 101 Tuner 1. There were lots of N/A but that is probably normal. 103ca had lots of low numbers on Tuner 2.

I must say the HR24 is sweet! Very quiet so far, much quieter than the old HR20 I had before switching to Cable.

·
Legend
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:
The installer company sent a different technician over today. He found a few loose bolts at the Dish and tightened them. He also observed my 99 signal was poor and made an adjustment to Dish alignment so that 99 signal went from 80-80 to mid 90's. So, it was apparent the installation guy never checked signal strength, which is quite surprising. I guess he assumed since the Dish was already there that alignment was fine. :rolleyes:

I am very pleased that DTV called via a recording to ask for my rating the installer yesterday, and asked if I wanted to speak with DTV directly, which I did. Kudos to DTV for actively being concerned and contacting the installation company to come back and check alignment. And, it was taken care of on the next day! Very nice!

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
I agree that the dish alignment shoud have been checked, but I don't see how the recievers passed the IV step if your signals were low. In my area I need mid-90's on 99 and 103 and high 90's on the 101 just to be able to activate the recievers. Maybe he got lucky.....but then again, he just paid the second installer to come back to your house. Along with a sin7 on his report for the week. I was also wondering if the D* CSR checked your signal strength over the phone with you, or just sent someone back out because you said he didn't check it. In your case, there was an issue so it didn't matter, but if everything was in good shape and they sent someone back out just to check the signal strength, your original installer would have gotten screwed.

·
Legend
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rbrt67 said:
I agree that the dish alignment shoud have been checked, but I don't see how the recievers passed the IV step if your signals were low. In my area I need mid-90's on 99 and 103 and high 90's on the 101 just to be able to activate the recievers. Maybe he got lucky.....but then again, he just paid the second installer to come back to your house. Along with a sin7 on his report for the week. I was also wondering if the D* CSR checked your signal strength over the phone with you, or just sent someone back out because you said he didn't check it. In your case, there was an issue so it didn't matter, but if everything was in good shape and they sent someone back out just to check the signal strength, your original installer would have gotten screwed.
They sent a different tech guy on the second visit, seemed kind of sharp, and all he did was adjust dish alignment--in the rain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.