DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I had DirecTV come out today to install my new service. I ordered two HD DVR boxes. I asked before if they can be hooked up to one TV and the sales office said yes they can. Well the tech gets here and says he is going to have to drill into my wall from the outside of my house and run four wires into that room. I am not going to allow that. So we talked for awhile and told him I will just stick with Cox then. He mentioned something called a "Swim Switch". That if DirecTV would approve that for me, he would only have to run one wire. The Tech left. I called D* and explained to them I wanted to cancel my install. I explained why. The rep never heard about Swim switch before. After over a hour on the phone the installer company agreed to order one for install next Saturday.

Has anyone heard of this before? Will I just have the one cable now and I can run two HD DVRs off of it? Seems like everyone one the phone was confused.

I just want to make sure I don't waste another morning waiting for this and it doesn't work.

Thanks for any help!

· Icon
1,306 Posts
nicemann said:
I called D* and explained to them I wanted to cancel my install. I explained why. The rep never heard about Swim switch before. After over a hour on the phone the installer company agreed to order one for install next Saturday.
I know that the level of 'smarts' of the typical CSR at DirecTV is pretty abysmal, but this one defies any level of training, if they've ever heard of the term.

The SWM8 has been available for what, at least a year now? Dave29 will probably agree that the price level, as it has become so available it's almost at your local WalMart (okay, that may be a stretch, but I'm ordering them well below the $200 level, around $150 on the last order), that any CSR that doesn't know about them probably fell asleep during the training seminar.

The order takers need to do a bit more 'due diligence' in prying out of the potential install what the customer wants the install. Would reduce bad truck rolls for one. I just did a 'look see' on a fairly simple install re-do (fixing the local DirecTV contractor mess-up) one of my client companies did in central Seattle this last week, and the gas cost me close to $40.

I usually wouldn't comment on these stories, and if this was 6 months ago, I wouldn't. Any CSR that doesn't know what the SWM is needs to go back and re-do the basic training.

· Registered
7,910 Posts
1948GG said:
I know that the level of 'smarts' of the typical CSR at DirecTV is pretty abysmal, but this one defies any level of training, if they've ever heard of the term.

The SWM8 has been available for what, at least a year now? Dave29 will probably agree that the price level, as it has become so available it's almost at your local WalMart (okay, that may be a stretch, but I'm ordering them well below the $200 level, around $150 on the last order), that any CSR that doesn't know about them probably fell asleep during the training seminar.

The order takers need to do a bit more 'due diligence' in prying out of the potential install what the customer wants the install. Would reduce bad truck rolls for one. I just did a 'look see' on a fairly simple install re-do (fixing the local DirecTV contractor mess-up) one of my client companies did in central Seattle this last week, and the gas cost me close to $40.

I usually wouldn't comment on these stories, and if this was 6 months ago, I wouldn't. Any CSR that doesn't know what the SWM is needs to go back and re-do the basic training.
The SWM is in limited release and likely isn't part of a level 1 CSR's training.

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
1948GG said:
The order takers need to do a bit more 'due diligence' in prying out of the potential install what the customer wants the install.
And so does the customer. Of course 2 dual tuner DVR's will need 4 lines. Why would anyone think otherwise?

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
spartanstew said:
And so does the customer. Of course 2 dual tuner DVR's will need 4 lines. Why would anyone think otherwise?
Because 90% of customers are not technologically savvy. Why should a customer expect to have to know more than the company he/she is dealing with?

And, of course, it does NOT take 4 lines if you have an SWM, so the statement is basically false.

· Icon
927 Posts
tonyd79 said:
Because 90% of customers are not technologically savvy. Why should a customer expect to have to know more than the company he/she is dealing with?

And, of course, it does NOT take 4 lines if you have an SWM, so the statement is basically false.
But just to be clear, you do have to run 4 lines FROM the dish TO the SWM - right?

From the SWM onward, you can run single lines. But they still have to run 4 lines to the SWM if I understand it correctly...

· Icon
1,306 Posts
Redlinetire said:
But just to be clear, you do have to run 4 lines FROM the dish TO the SWM - right?

From the SWM onward, you can run single lines. But they still have to run 4 lines to the SWM if I understand it correctly...
But the SWM is designed to be mounted right at the dish (outdoors). And many of them are.

And I don't buy the 'limited release' argument. Again, 6 months ago yes/maybe. Not in July, 2008. I talk to independent installation/engineering companies around the US all the time. All have been installing the SWM for months now. Availability is, as I mentioned, total. All of the suppliers I talk to have had no problems whatsoever getting virtually any amount of them for close to six months now.

Note that eventually, the original poster finally got bumped up the chain to someone who not only knew what he was talking about, but could have the job built out in what, within a week? Doesn't sound like any 'limited availability' to me.

· Registered
7,910 Posts
1948GG said:
But the SWM is designed to be mounted right at the dish (outdoors). And many of them are.

And I don't buy the 'limited release' argument. Again, 6 months ago yes/maybe. Not in July, 2008. I talk to independent installation/engineering companies around the US all the time. All have been installing the SWM for months now. Availability is, as I mentioned, total. All of the suppliers I talk to have had no problems whatsoever getting virtually any amount of them for close to six months now.

Note that eventually, the original poster finally got bumped up the chain to someone who not only knew what he was talking about, but could have the job built out in what, within a week? Doesn't sound like any 'limited availability' to me.
Ask installers around here how many of their installs have used SWMs in the past week and you'll see how limited it is.

· Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW did not know this would turn into a heated debate. Sorry

I agree I am not technical when it comes to satellite.....never had one before. That is why I was asking for advice here.

So if I get the SWM installed, will I still need another line dropped into the room? I currently have only one drop in the room and I want to run two HD DVRs. Sorry for being an idiot on this topic.

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
If you get a SWM-LNB...there will be a single cable from the dish that is split as may times as necessary to feed up to 8 tuners (...a DVR has two, unless you turn one off, that are fed by a single cable). You don't need BBCs...and you can diplex in OTA, if you want it.

If you get a SWM-8...then 4 lines run from the dish to the SWM module, inside or outside...there are two output ports that can be split as necessary to feed up to 8 tuners. Again, you don't need BBCs, and there is an OTA input on the SWM module (...not the best diplexer, but it works).

Both solutions require a power injector, inside, on one of the cables, using power pass ports to get power back to the SWM.

I got my first SWM-8 from dave29...and it makes my D* experience much better!

· Registered
8,035 Posts
SWM8s are for all practical purposes still being sent to MDUs. There are a lot of them that are needed. Should they be freely available now, sure. But they are not, so it is what it is.

As to the CSR's not knowing what a SWM8 is, not surprising. CSRs are not trained, nor do they operate at that detail level for the workorders. Much like they can't specify a H20/H21/H23, etc, they can't specify a specific switch. In addition the CSR putting in an order or a note on the workorder doesn't mean squat. The CSR notes, very rarely make it to techs. Even if they did, if it's not a line item, it's not going to get done. If the CSR puts a note that I'm to install additional receivers, then they better be listed as a line item. I'll say it again, not a line item, not getting done. Notes don't show up on my paycheck, line items do.

Since the installation of 2 HD DVRs don't meet the installation criteria for a SWM, odds are that if by some chance a CSR was able to force a SWM onto the worker, the sanity checker will remove it.

DirecTv has checks and balances in place. The sooner CSRs and customers come to grips with reality, the happier everyone will be.

Sorry, but thats just the way it is.

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
nicemann said:
So if I get the SWM installed, will I still need another line dropped into the room? I currently have only one drop in the room and I want to run two HD DVRs. Sorry for being an idiot on this topic.
No...you can use a splitter to feed the 2 DVRs.

Cool, huh?

· Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I guess I will find out come next Saturday if they did the order correctly. The CSR was on the phone talking to the installer company and they are the ones that explained what the swm is.

BTW guess no one around her know what a "swim switch" was because I could her asking people. Even put me on hold to ask the supervisor what it was and they did not know. That is why she called the installer in the first place to see what they were talking about.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.