DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new poster so forgive me if this has already been addressed.

I have an older Samsung TS-360 and am thinking of upgrading (?) to the H20-600, mainly to improve the OTA tuner. I have been told by several people that I will be much happier with the new unit. However I am concerned about reliability, heat issues, slow guide, etc., plus eventually when HD locals become available in my market I want to upgrade to the new HR unit.

1. Is the OTA improvement between these two units enough to upgrade?

2. Is the newest software version in the H20 improved enough on the slow guide and lockup issues so I won't wind up thinking I DOWNgraded in this area?

3. If I get D* to let me buy a unit this weekend at Bestbuy and give me a bill credit, is that the way to go? I'm thinking of "buying" if the reliability has improved, leasing otherwise.

4. I am using a Prontopro remote that a professional installer programmed for me. Is it pretty straightforward to change the codes from the 360 to the H20?

5. Nothing here would count against me if I want to negotiate the best deal later on for the HR, will it?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

· Cool Member
28 Posts
Why do you need a better tuner. Do you get OTA now? If not and if you are to far away from the towers no tuner will help you and the rest of your questions will not matter.

· Icon
545 Posts
The OTA tuner on the H20 is much better than the Samsung! That alone is worth upgrading! The H20, IMHO, is better all around than the Samsung! There are no lockup or slow guide iss on the H20 that I am aware of!

· Legend
204 Posts
I have both a Sammy TS-360 and have had H20-600 and now a H20-100. Here's my experiences:

1. YES. The -600 has much better OTA reception than the TS-360. The -100 is not as good as the -600 but still better than the TS-360.

2. NO. The -600 is pig slow and is really frustrating to use after the quick TS-360. It is less stable with the new update IME. I now have a -100 that is much quicker, almost as quick as the TS-360. It has been very stable so far.

3. I bought mine. They replaced my -600 with a new -100, even after the warranty expired. However, I would try to get a lease (for free or heavily discounted).

4. Completely different codes, but the two receivers have pretty much the same command set. Your question doesn't make complete sense.

5. If you get a good deal now, it MAY reduce your chances of getting a good deal in the near future. Then again, it may not. Hard to say.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.