DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Mentor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Switch question....
(Kinda a repost but previously I thought I had DP LNB's)

I have two sat dishes both legacy LNB's. Two coaxial runs from each LNB into a pair of sw21 switches. The output of each goes to a dual tuner 622. This gives me 110 & 119 here in Alaska.

I'd like to have more tuner locations available at the very minimum 3 locations.

I would like to pick up a DPP44, it seems logical that the SW21's would work with it.....

I would hate to have to change out my LNB's, thats my only answer to this.

Any info would be appreciated....

Thanks,
Jason

· AllStar
78 Posts
Sorry, but the DPP-44 switch can not use legacy LNBs and switches (SW21). You have to have DP or DPP LNBs.

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
SW48?? Sounds like that might be a DirecTV 4x8(?) which is not compatible with Dish receivers.

Jason, the LNBs and switch(es) must be all legacy or all DishPro (see http://ekb.dbstalk.com/dishpro.htm). Are you wanting to be able to put a dual-tuner receiver at any of the 3 locations, or adding a couple of single-tuner receivers?

· Mentor
33 Posts
BobaBird said:
SW48?? Sounds like that might be a DirecTV 4x8(?) which is not compatible with Dish receivers.
Nope, it's a switch I got directly from Dish Network oh, so many years ago . IIRC, it was one of their first switches, perhaps in 1997 or so... Worked fine until I had to replace it because I needed to view 3 satellites. (6 single LNBF inputs).

· Mentor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BobaBird said:

Jason, the LNBs and switch(es) must be all legacy or all DishPro (see http://ekb.dbstalk.com/dishpro.htm). Are you wanting to be able to put a dual-tuner receiver at any of the 3 locations, or adding a couple of single-tuner receivers?
Currently have a 622 in my main viewing room but thats it.

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
DISH didn't have two satellite slots to use in 1997 - just 119. With receivers only needing a single slot, they could use DirecTV style switches (4x8) to provide a single slot to 8 receivers. You would have had to replace it to view TWO sat slots since it wasn't compatible with DISH sat switching - just polarity switching from a single sat slot. It certainly wouldn't work for the original poster.

DISH (119) and SA (61.5) needed two slots in 1998 and then DISH itself needed two slots. SQAJ, SW21, and SW42 were the DISH switches used in 1998 to get DISH 119 and Echo III (SA) at 61.5.

· Mentor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bowlin said:
SW64: 6 LNB inputs, 4 receiver outputs
SW48: 4 LNB inputs, 8 receiver outputs. IIRC, also has OTA inputs.

Both have been around a long time.
I wondered if those would work w/ the 622 I have. What are you running?

The 510 I have had for years worked using a disecq 2x4 w/ an OTA input, so I'd love to just do that same scenario with a 4x8.

Most I'd have is a 622, 510 & a 311...

· Mentor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CABill said:
DISH didn't have two satellite slots to use in 1997 - just 119. With receivers only needing a single slot, they could use DirecTV style switches (4x8) to provide a single slot to 8 receivers. You would have had to replace it to view TWO sat slots since it wasn't compatible with DISH sat switching - just polarity switching from a single sat slot. It certainly wouldn't work for the original poster.

DISH (119) and SA (61.5) needed two slots in 1998 and then DISH itself needed two slots. SQAJ, SW21, and SW42 were the DISH switches used in 1998 to get DISH 119 and Echo III (SA) at 61.5.
So CABill, this is a no-go with two satellite slots with legacy LNB's?

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
Jason Dalton said:
So CABill, this is a no-go with two satellite slots with legacy LNB's?
Sorry, my comments were exclusively to the "SW48" reference. I've never heard of a "SW48" until this thread. Nor does Groups.Google.com find a SW48 reference in 9 years worth of Alt.DBS.Echostar threads. The 4x8 (5x8 with antenna) switch sat locations with the application of 22 kHz. DISH toggles legacy switches by having the receiver toggle 13-18 VDc at 8 Hz for an 8 bit command. Tough to integrate the two. ;)

The SW64 would work fine with legacy LNBs, but that limits you to 4 tuners. A SW44 might be cheaper, but also a little less common.

When you used the 510, the two part of the 2x4 just picks odd/even from a single sat (I'd guess 119 up there) and no sat switching was needed.

What you get from a 2x4 or 4x8 is a lot of outputs for a single sat (unless you have a DirecTV receiver to supply 22 kHz). You can probably connect a 2x4 to each sat and connect those 4 outputs from each to 4 SW21s to feed 4 tuners. That's theoretical - I've certainly never done it. Check the price of a SW44/SW64 and compare to switching to dual DP LNBs and a DP34 - that gets you 4 tuners as well. You could use a more expensive DPP44 to feed 4 receivers instead of 4 tuners for "growth".

Edit afterthought: I use legacy LNBs to a SW64 to feed a 942 dual tuner and two single tuner DVRs. So that would be a yes-go I guess.

· Mentor
33 Posts
CABill said:

Nope, you're wrong. Note that I did say "1997 or so." So, I missed it by a year. I'm certain that I once had it hooked up to two separate legacy single-satellite dishes. Ohhhh, let me just go rummage around and dig it out. Stand by...

Here it is. See, right here on the input side...

Oops.

Must be my CRS (can't remember, um, satellites) is acting up. The switch I was certain was a 4x8 only has 2 inputs. No, it won't work for hardly anybody anymore.

Never mind. (My bad. I cudda sworn!...)

Anyway, the SW64 would still work for him, if he could find one. It's been a good switch for me, accepting 3 orbital slots and driving 4 single receiver outputs.

· Mentor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CABill said:
Sorry, my comments were exclusively to the "SW48" reference. I've never heard of a "SW48" until this thread. Nor does Groups.Google.com find a SW48 reference in 9 years worth of Alt.DBS.Echostar threads. The 4x8 (5x8 with antenna) switch sat locations with the application of 22 kHz. DISH toggles legacy switches by having the receiver toggle 13-18 VDc at 8 Hz for an 8 bit command. Tough to integrate the two. ;)

The SW64 would work fine with legacy LNBs, but that limits you to 4 tuners. A SW44 might be cheaper, but also a little less common.

When you used the 510, the two part of the 2x4 just picks odd/even from a single sat (I'd guess 119 up there) and no sat switching was needed.

What you get from a 2x4 or 4x8 is a lot of outputs for a single sat (unless you have a DirecTV receiver to supply 22 kHz). You can probably connect a 2x4 to each sat and connect those 4 outputs from each to 4 SW21s to feed 4 tuners. That's theoretical - I've certainly never done it. Check the price of a SW44/SW64 and compare to switching to dual DP LNBs and a DP34 - that gets you 4 tuners as well. You could use a more expensive DPP44 to feed 4 receivers instead of 4 tuners for "growth".

Edit afterthought: I use legacy LNBs to a SW64 to feed a 942 dual tuner and two single tuner DVRs. So that would be a yes-go I guess.
Interesting.
I technically only need the second dish for my 622. It has the HD transponder for Alaska (thus the seperate dish). I cannot see any other transponders on 110. Strictly for HD.

I have a 2x4 w/ ota at home currently. I might just have to try a combination of it w/ the sw21's to see if I can get that to work. It would give me a total of 3 locations, 2 - 622, 2 spare....I think. I'll update if I try it.

Other than that, it sounds like DP's are in order :)

Thanks for the info!

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
Jason Dalton said:
Interesting.
I technically only need the second dish for my 622. It has the HD transponder for Alaska (thus the seperate dish). I cannot see any other transponders on 110. Strictly for HD.

I have a 2x4 w/ ota at home currently. I might just have to try a combination of it w/ the sw21's to see if I can get that to work. It would give me a total of 3 locations, 2 - 622, 2 spare....I think. I'll update if I try it.

Other than that, it sounds like DP's are in order :)

Thanks for the info!
Yes it will work. You can take a 3X8 multiswitch for D* and connect both outputs from the 119 dual LNB(CALL IT "A") take the outputs from the 110 and use SW21s with 2 outputs from "A" and your 622 will be happy. Now you still have 6 outputs from "A" to feed 6 more tuners with the 119 signal:) :) :)

· Mentor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
boba said:
Yes it will work. You can take a 3X8 multiswitch for D* and connect both outputs from the 119 dual LNB(CALL IT "A") take the outputs from the 110 and use SW21s with 2 outputs from "A" and your 622 will be happy. Now you still have 6 outputs from "A" to feed 6 more tuners with the 119 signal:) :) :)
Awesome. This worked, I tried it last night. I used my existing 3x4.

Sat119A, Sat119B into the 3x4.
Sat110A into one side of SW21, Output of 3x4 into the other side.
Sat110B into one side of second SW21, Output of 3x4 into the other side.

So currently I have two lines w/ 110 & 119 to my 622. And two addtional lines for additional receivers for only 119.

I think I'm set for now. No addional money spent!:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.