DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the switch from standard time has occured.

My 622's did the switch this time without getting a new software release downloaded. Which machines did get a new download this last week?

What programs are not set correctly on your DVR.

Mine seem to be set correctly now. However I recorded a show that occured at 3:30AM. The show was 90 minutes and it surprisingly recorded it 1 hr the OPPOSITE way from the time switch. If it had recording at 3:30 EDT (2:30 EST) it would of caught an hour of the show before and the first 30 minutes of the show. Instead it caught the last 30 minutes of the show and 1 hr of the show that followed. I didn't notice before but did the guide previously incorrectly say that the show started at 4:30 this week rather than its usual time?

So what problems, if any, did you see? What receiver do you have? How was the recording set (Time, Program guide NBR, DISHPASS)?

· Super Moderator
54,219 Posts
ViP-622's have been capable of doing the time change all along. Software downloads are not needed ... all they have to do is run the clock.

Everything should have shifted fine on the receivers. Any timers set within the past few days for the next few days (for example, setting a timer for a Sunday night show while looking through the guide last Thursday) should be checked on non-NBR machines. Older timers should be fine. All my timers survived intact (501 and 622).

Not sure what happened with your 3:30am (2:30 EST) recording. Probably a problem with the guide data. Was it from a West coast broadcast station? What program was it (SNL?)? The guide data likely had the program at it's real time (11:30 PDT / 2:30 EDT) but with your east coast time shift at 2am EDT ->1am EST your receiver saw the program as starting at 3:30 (EST) and started it late.

· Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
James Long said:

Not sure what happened with your 3:30am (2:30 EST) recording. Probably a problem with the guide data. Was it from a West coast broadcast station? What program was it (SNL?)? The guide data likely had the program at it's real time (11:30 PDT / 2:30 EDT) but with your east coast time shift at 2am EDT ->1am EST your receiver saw the program as starting at 3:30 (EST) and started it late.
The show was "The Amazing Race" on GSN. I see in the guide for the rest of the week that it should be on 3-4 AM. This morning should have been a 2:30-4 AM EDT. So apparently the guide was off and showed it as 3:30-5. My guess is that it showed it as that time EDT and did not correct it back to EST. Note my maintenance is set at 8AM.

· Hall Of Fame
1,666 Posts
I recorded a movie that started at 1:00am EDT and was supposed to end at 2:30 but the recording lasted untill 3:30am. It recorded an extra hour. On the info for that event it has the time as 1:00 to 3:30. It would appear that E* added an hour on the guide to all shows that started at or were already on at 2:00am.

· Hall Of Fame
1,666 Posts
James Long

I have question about the NBR feature. For example the movie that I recorded was Pauly Shore is Dead. My recording lasted an extra hour so I got the first hour of boyz n the hood. Now the banner info while Boyz was on said pauly shore is dead. Not just at the begining but well into the movie. I would hit info and it said the name of the movie on previously. so how does that affect NBR? If I had wanted boyz would it not have recorded since the guide added an extra hour to pauly. In other words the guide said one thing but another thing was showing. I was also wondering how this would affect shows like lost or greys anatomy. They always run long and every oine says with nbr I would not miss the end, but the end always has the 10pm shows name in the banner and guide. would the nbr stop recording once the name lost changes on the guide?

· Super Moderator
54,219 Posts
Probably just the confusion over the time change ... although I have had a couple of DVR recordings where I started them early and the info banner EPG wasn't correct while viewing the recording (but the program description on the My Recordings list was accurate).

If the extra minutes are important make sure you pad your recordings. NBR is only as good as the information that is provided to E* for the EPG.

· AllStar
93 Posts
My 211 left everything in the EPG showing the old times, but the clock on the banner and guide changed. So basically the whole EPG info was behind by an hour. Not a big deal, and it fixed itself when the guide updated while I was sleeping.

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
No S/W change here. The 9-day guide on my 921 showed "EST" starting at what would have been 2:00 EDT.

What I'd like ot know is what affect the time change had in the few parts of the country where there was no time change (Arizona and Hawaii), I mean besides the obvious change in starting time for every program for the next 5 months.

· Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
One really strange occurance. The 7100 had the correct time and EPG times before 7 AM. Usually takes a day for the latter to be correct. Only about 5 years to get it correct. :)

· Super Moderator
54,219 Posts
Michael P said:
What I'd like ot know is what affect the time change had in the few parts of the country where there was no time change (Arizona and Hawaii), I mean besides the obvious change in starting time for every program for the next 5 months.
My receivers worked fine for the years before EST Indiana changed it's clocks for the first time last April. Each year they would simply ignore the time change and remain on EST. This year E* got it right again and my receivers sprang forward and fell back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.