DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had Directv a few years ago (Had an R21 and some standard def receivers). Switched to Dish when I bought an HDTV and several Directv installers came out, but couldn't complete installation because they didn't have LOS to 110 and 119 and needed all 3 to align slimline dish (this was just after the slimline 5 came out and the hd programming moved to 99 and 103, I do have LOS to 99, 101, and 103).

Have the installations moved past the point where they are using 119 to align the dish?

If the dish can be aligned, I ordered an HR34 and 2 hd receivers. At the time when I had Directv before, I needed two lines run from the switch to the r21. From my understanding now with the SWIM units, only one line is needed from the switch to the receivers, correct? How many lines go from the dish to the switch?

Hopefully my last question involves connecting the HR34 and one of the receivers to the internet. Is the USB port active on the back of the units to use a wifi usb dongle? What other options are available besides running cat5 drops?

Sorry for the stupid questions. I haven't been keeping up with Directv's products and installations to answer these.

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
Yes, you only need 99, 101 and 103. Your line of sight should be good.

You only need one coax from the dish, which is then split and goes to all receiver locations (including the HR34).

No, you can't do that with USB. What will happen is someplace you will get a cinema connection kit which interconnects your entire DirecTV system to the internet, and from there everything happens over the same coax that feeds the satellite signal. In other words, your HR34 will be internet connected as will your two receivers.

No stupid questions. Welcome back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.