DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cool Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far the forum has been two for two on helping with my newbie questions concerning by new HR20.

Here is question 3:

Am I missing something, if is it much more inconvenient switching between tuners on this thing than with Tivo? I've spent some time looking through the Q&A's and don't really find much mention of this.

With Tivo, all you needed to do was go to the guide and pick your second show, and than continually press the LiveTV button on the upper right of the remote and you could go back and forth between tuners.

It seems however, based on what I've read in the Tips and Trips documents posted here, that the only way you can switch between tuners and not lose your buffer on the first show with the HR20 is to hit record, hit pause, and than go to the Guide and go to your next show! I would assume the result of this is that you end up recording a ton of programs you really didn't want to record, and than have to go into the playlist and delete all these programs you really didn't want to record in the first place!

Now I know i can get used to this, and if I had never had Tivo I would probably think all was fine and dandy, but please, somebody tell me its got to be easier to switch between programs than this. My wife will divorce me if there isn;t a better way!!!

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Which likely wont happen until 2010, if at all.

litzdog911 said:
There's no easier way. At least not until DirecTV actually implements "dual buffers" for the HR20.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
193 Posts
Bugtracker said:
Now I know i can get used to this, and if I had never had Tivo I would probably think all was fine and dandy, but please, somebody tell me its got to be easier to switch between programs than this. My wife will divorce me if there isn;t a better way!!!
My brother in-law is a damn good divorce attorney, PM me for his number. :D

·
Legend
191 Posts
Bugtracker said:
Go to ebay and get a HR10-250. Then you will have the best of both worlds, interactive features of the HR20 and daul buffers (+OTA) of the HR10.

Having both has made my stress level stay much lower than many others in this forum. (I added the HR20 to my existing HR10, I guess I could call it an HR30-950; 4 tuners, interactive features, MPEG-4 on half, OTA, triple buffers and TiVo interface on half of it.) The mirroring fee is MUCH less than alimony.

I am serious though, I'm sure as soon as you get one, D* will activate the dual buffers and OTA on the HR20. Come on, take one for the team. :lol:

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Blitz68 said:
Earl said DTV is working on it.
I said they are still considering it, as far as I know... no formal decision (or work), has been done.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I said they are still considering it, as far as I know... no formal decision (or work), has been done.
Ooops my bad...sorry :rolleyes:

·
Icon
764 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Earl, in your opinion, and every body elses, am I correct that implementing this would take far more than a software upgrade? Seems to me the hardware would have to be changed. Any opinions on that? Seems hard to beleive it could be accomplished via software only, but I sure hope it can.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
With 0cFA, the old duffer toggle trick seems to be intermittant or not even work for some. Would someone try these keystrokes to see if this works. I am not at my trusty HR20.

WATCH TWO SHOWS AT ONCE - The trick is to temporarily record both…
While in the first show, Click the ® RECORD button
Press ■ STOP to Stop playing the first show.
Press GUIDE twice to go to the Guide. Highlight the second program.
Click the ® RECORD button to begin recording the second show
Repeat these steps below to go back and forth between the programs
- Press ■ STOP to Stop playing where you are.
- Press LIST then highlight the other show & click Play.

Basically instead of toggling with the PAUSE - PREV keystrokes, this is:
STOP LIST hgihlight PLAY.
Still a far cry from my dumb old T60 that I love so much that you just pressed the down arrow. Plus this way still leaves partial recordings behind in your My Playlist to clean up later.

But does this set of keystrokes work reliably? If not what does?

I want to get this cleaned up and put in the version 2.9 of the Tips and Tricks.

Please let me know,

- Craig

(With thanks to Matt.)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
I cant see anything in this forum besides OTA that is wanted more. In fact i am thinking there may be more people that want Dual Buffers than OTA at this point.

Earl Bonovich said:

·
Cool Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I can see that this is a very popular topic (unpopular?) with no real work around other than that mentioned in the Tips and Tricks at the present time.

I'll give Craig suggestion a try also. Thanks!

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.