Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I can't wait till Thursday! I signed up as a new subscriber to Dish Network and I'm getting the VIP-622. So long D*, after 10 years.

I was reading the Dish 1000 installation manual, and it looks like I need to aim about 10 degrees more to the right than the D* Phase III.

I'd like the installer to use the existing location, mast, and wiring if possible, since it was part of the construction. But, I have a feeling moving 10 degrees will smack me in to the house. :)

I scanned a drawing of my floor plan, and inserted the existing and new aiming directions. There are also a couple pictures of the scene. (see attachments)

One Question... In the Dish 1000 manual, it gives an azimuth of 219 based on zip 535XX. Is that a compass heading which would include the +4 magnetic variance from true for the area? Or is that 219 true, 223 magnetic?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Legend
163 Posts
Well the wiring wont be a problem. (as long as there are 4 (for the 1000+, 3 for the 1000).
I had the origional 1 sat dish, for D* and then moved to a 3 sat dish for D* and I was able to use the same pole, but when I moved to the 1000+ I needed a new pole witch was longer, but fit in the same bracket.
as far as being a little off, I think you should be ok.. good news is there is less wiring to if it doesnt you dont waste all that much time.

is an installer comming out? he should have a birddog or something to test the signal of each before he finishes.

good luck.

e..b

p.s.. I like the view of the LNB's .. thats kinda cool!

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
eatonjb said:
is an installer comming out? he should have a birddog or something to test the signal of each before he finishes.
Yes, it's the "professional" installation they require. :)

I have 4 RG6 going to the dish now, so yeah wiring will be OK.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
Nice pix. You may be just fine the sats are not a straight line of site related to the LNB's. The sats are actually about 15 degrees above the straight look out from the dish.:welcome_s

·
Legend
212 Posts
e40 said:
One Question... In the Dish 1000 manual, it gives an azimuth of 219 based on zip 535XX. Is that a compass heading which would include the +4 magnetic variance from true for the area? Or is that 219 true, 223 magnetic?

Thanks!
The settings in the manual have been adjusted for magnetic variance.

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I am all set now. I'll re-cap everything as best I can.

The installer showed up at 4:15pm. (The time block was noon to 5), so it got dark really quick. He had commented that he was supposed to be done for the day, and got called out to my install. Well, better late than never, I'm glad I didn't waste taking that afternoon off.

We spent about 2 hours trying to get the old DirecTV mast location to work, but we could not hit the 129 from that location. So, no big deal, I already had wires trenched to an alternate location should that not work out. He took a pole off the truck and pounded it in the ground. He got the dish aimed quickly after that. Once we verified everything was working, he left.

I spent most of this morning getting things finished up. I installed a Radio Shack VHF/UHF antenna on the old DirecTV mast. I had to get clever with it; from the looks on the website I thought it used an identical 1.75" mast as a mini-dish, but it's really a 1.5" mast. So I just disected my old DirecTV phase 3 dish and improvised a mounting solution. (I didn't want to take off the old mast foot and mount the new one!) See the pics. It's cloudy today, but I am 13 miles direct line of site to the broadcast towers, I can see them at night. I am getting 98% to 100% strength on the HD local channels. I'll probably cancel the $5/month I pay for local channels over the satellite. (Unless there's a good reason not to)

Then I had a look at how the Dish 1000 was left. The wiring was just laying there, and no ground was connected. Plus, there were more breaks in the cables than I wanted. (there's supposed to be a 5.5 foot continuous loop RG6 to connect the two LNB's, but he had 2 pieces that were butted together with a female F. ) So I made up that 5.5 foot cable and connected it, at the same time I connected my trenched RG6 right to the LNB's. So no more break in that connection either. Oh, I hooked up the ground as well. :)

I'm pretty happy with it so far. It's just a matter of getting used to the DVR interface after 2+ years of Tivo.

Attachments

·
Legend
145 Posts
e40 said:
I am getting 98% to 100% strength on the HD local channels. I'll probably cancel the $5/month I pay for local channels over the satellite. (Unless there's a good reason not to)
E,

Excellent signal quality! It sounds like one of the installers that I had to deal with. He told me that he was called into work because someones truck wouldn't start, and that he was suppose to be attending a wedding with his girlfriend. He then proceeded to "piece together" the connection between the dish and cables going into the house. Normally, they work with some "jumpers" which are lengths of cable connected to the LNBs, making it easy for them to connect up their signal meters, then they use barrel connectors to patch to the main run into the house. My guy made his jumpers about three feet short (I had told him this when he was assembling the dish). He ignored me, and made another short set of cables that went between the jumpers and the main cables into the house. I asked why he wasn't using any dialectric grease/sealant and he told me they don't use that anymore. So six barrel connectors, no ground wire and no weather proofing. In addition to this, I couldn't get a solid lock on 129 so in true DIY fashion, I pulled out the ladder, peaked the dish myself (80-90% on 129), created and installed longer jumpers, weatherproofed the three barrel connectors and grounded the dish!

These installers for hire take every shortcut that they can.

As for reasons to keep the LIL's;

I'm running my HD locals via the antenna, and have retained the SD locals off of the satellite.

Reason #1 - The wife and I have often found ourselves wanting to record two programs on opposing networks that come on at or around the same time. One gets recorded on the local DTV stream, the other from one of Echostar's birds.

Reason #2 - The ocassional outtage of local DTV broadcasts have become increasingly rare, but given the new technology is still not as dependable as the old analog broadcast equipment. Having the LILs from E* provide a backup source.

Reason #3 - Along with #2, local DTV signals provides a backup source of info when E* experiences the ocassional "rain fade" (or ...given the season... "snow fade").

If the need calls for it, I can record three sources simultaneously (including two local channels 1-LIL, 1-OTA) while playing back something that I've already recorded. Also, sometime in 2007, our LIL's will join the list of HD LILs, so that hard drive will be filling up even faster! ;)

See you at tonight's shindig!

Spence

P.S. you might want to set the DVR to record our local ABC's HD broadcast of Finding Nemo for the little guy!

·
Legend
145 Posts
whatchel1 said:
It is the only way for you to get the program guide for those channels. You need the LIL or else the OTA will display only digital service.
Crap I forgot about that. :)

E40! You've got a 4th reason. If you want to use the program guide to schedule the recording of local DTV broadcasts, you need the programming info that comes in on the LILs.

Way to go watchel1!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.