DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Legend
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to a lot of help from people in this forum, I was able to connect my HR-24 to the internet three or four years ago. The technician hadn't installed it correctly, and the DTV support people couldn't fix it, but people here figured it out.

First - what I have now:
  • I've got the co-ax cable from the SWM connected to the "black box" that powers the SWM.
  • The output from that goes to a 4-way splitter.
  • One cable from the splitter goes to my HR-24 DVR.
  • A second cable from the splitter goes to the DECA1MR0-01
  • An Ethernet cable went from the DECA to my switch, which was connected to my internet

I had the condo remodeled, and all the wiring came out. I now have an EnGenius EAP-300 Access Point. Now most of my computer gear connects via Wi-Fi. That's why this post is being made - I need a way to connect my HR-24 to my internet via Wi-Fi.

I spoke to DTV at length, and told them I needed a part that would do the same thing as my DECA1MR0-01, but connect to the internet via Wi-Fi. DTV first sent me a "Cinema Connection Kit" which seems to do the same thing as what I have now, using a wired connection. I called and after a very long discussion, they finally figured out what they think I need - they sent me a "Connected Home Adapter DCA2SR0-01". I think this might be what I need. It didn't come with any directions though.

The DCA2SR0-01 has an input for a co-ax cable from the LNB, and an output that I assume goes to the DVR. Unlike the wired one, this does not include an external power supply. It also comes with a short Ethernet cable, which plugs into tthe same end as the ouput.

Is this in fact, what I need? Can it connect to Wi-Fi, and replace the previous wired connection? If so, it needs to be configured, to know the SSID and security information for my network. Am I right that I need to plug it into a computer to configure all that? If so, is there something I can download with the instructions on how to configure these settings? So far, I've found a lot of what might be the right information here:
http://manuals.solidsignal.com/Coax%20Networking%20White%20Paper.pdf
The bottom of page 13 seems to be what I'm looking for... Presumably, if the new Wireless Adapter knows my SSID and password, nothing else will need to be changed, and I won't need to change anything on the HR-24 ?

• Goal - remove the wired network adapter, and replace it with one that does the same thing, but uses Wi-Fi, not Ethernet Cable.
  • Back-up Plan - leave everything just the way it is, and buy a "bridge" to connect to my internet. In that case, nothing needs to be changed.

Note - added later - I did find this page, but it doesn't list the HR-24. Is this going to be a problem?

Added even later - I have no idea if my description above as to how this thing works is accurate. For all I know, the Ethernet plug on the end of this device is supposed to be hard wired into my network. I'm only going by what people from DTV told me on the phone, and they seemed to be more confusabobbled than I was/am. :)

·
Dad
6,607 Posts
If the HR24 is the only receiver, get a wireless gaming adaptor aka wireless internet adaptor, set it up on your home network SSID etc and then plug an ethernet cable into the back of the HR24 to the wireless adaptor adaptor.

If you have other receivers, then only the HR24 will get internet this way. So let us know.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
NR4P said:
If the HR24 is the only receiver, get a wireless gaming adaptor aka wireless internet adaptor, set it up on your home network SSID etc and then plug an ethernet cable into the back of the HR24 to the wireless adaptor adaptor.

If you have other receivers, then only the HR24 will get internet this way. So let us know.
No need for a wireless gaming adapter.

The description sounds like a wireless CCK.
It can be connected to the HR24's ethernet port, or connected to the coax feeding the 24 with the "loop thru" to the 24.
The menu in the 24 will/should allow the WCCK to connect to the router.
The SSID will need to be selected/entered and then the password.

Router & WCCK should also have the WPS buttons which is another way to connect.

·
Cool Member
364 Posts
The "Connected Home Adapter DCA2SR0-01" is a DECA II. Still wired. What he needs is the CCK-W Part no. DECAW1MR0-01. Or, if he is eligible, he could get a free upgrade to a Genie (HR44) that has wireless internet connection built-in.

·
Legend
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before i respond to the suggestions above, last night I sort of gave up, at least for now. I do have internet only 15 feet away from where the DTV gear is. It is separated from the wall I need to get a cable to, by only 36 inches, the width of my hallway. Before, I had carpet in the hallway - and I ran the Ethernet cable under the carpet. Now I've got wood floors, so I can't go "under" them, but I found a way to run the cable over them: I ordered this:
http://www.electriduct.com/Cable-Shield.html
....so now I can tape the cable cover down with double sided tape, crossing the hallway, and run my Ethernet cable through it. My DTV gear is still configured correctly to be plugged into a switch, and this cable will go to the switch, so I'll have the same thing as I did before. I should be up and running by tomorrow.

My original goal was to do something like this:
...very simple. I was able to find the name for it, "Network Bridge", and that led me to the above video. It would be exactly the same situation as I used to have, except that one run of cable would be replaced by two Access Points forming a "Bridge". I already have one Access Point. To do this, I just need one more, configured as shown in the video.

I am so totally confused by what DTV sent me, and much of the discussions up above. That last post by 'veryoldschool' looks like it might be exactly what I wanted to use. I assume it will act like a second "Access Point" configured to receive the signal, and I would use an Ethernet cable coming from my existing components, connected to this device. I need to do some more reading tomorrow, but I suspect this is what I've been trying to get all this time, and what the original person at DTV told me they would send me....

Thanks!!

·
Legend
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before I took the DTV wiring and gear apart for the remodeling, I took a photo of everything so I could figure it out later. It may not be as neat as I would have liked, but it did show me what went where, and why. Here's the photo, with cables labeled:

I know the black box at the left powers the SWM.
The cable then goes to the splitter.
One cable goes from the splitter to the DVR
Another cable goes from the splitter to the "DECA"
An Ethernet cable from the DECA goes to my network switch
A second cable from the DECA goes to its power supply.

It seems to me that the Ethernet cable coming from the DECA can plug into a Network Switch just like it used to - but the Network Switch can be connected to the rest of my network using a "Network Bridge" instead of a single cable.

I'm intrigued by the image posted by 'veryoldschool'. I may be way off, but that could represent half of my "network bridge", communicating with my Access Point on the other side of the room...

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Looking at your picture

1. Goes to the LNB (Use the short cable 2)
Put Cable one in the singe top connector of 4 way splitter
Put Cable 2 from PI to red pass through of (1) 4 way
Put cable 3 to port (2) of 4way
Leave the Cat5 jumper conected to your switch

Red butto reset the HR24 (it has a internal Deca) now you connected as before Wired network over RG6

Put 75ohm termnators on all unused port (includig) Spare IRD port of PI

·
Legend
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WestDC, I took that photo of the way the DTV technician had wired it. This was before I took everything apart for the room remodeling. You're saying it is done wrong?

The only thing I did before taking this photo was to remove the two other cables going to the 4-way splitter, which went to the TVs in other rooms. I wanted the photo to be clear and obvious, so I'd know what to do when I had to set it up again. With the exception of the Ethernet cable, it's all hooked up now the same way, and (other than no internet) working properly, I think.

I don't follow what you wrote.
What is the "red pass through of the (1) 4-way? My 4-way is labeled Out1, Out2, Out3, and Out4. I didn't think there was any difference between the outputs.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
One of the 4 ports on the 4-way splitter is able to pass dc power through it, the other 3 do not. When you remove the port 1 connector, you should see a red insert rather than white on the others. Your power inserter needs to be connected to that port. The label should also indicate the power passing port (typically by a line from the input to the output).

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
What carl said- It will work and has worked as your picture suggested. Is the reason you wanted to go wireless because you don't have enough ports spare on the splitter to connect the Deca for internet?

If that's the case you can hook the internet deca (rg6) to the IRD port of the PI (just sayin') Are the lites Green on the iternet deca? 2 solid and one bliking (green) that means it conected

·
Legend
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The wiring issue is all news to me - the photo was taken of what the technician set up. I didn't realize there was any difference in the four outputs. When I re-connected things a couple of weeks ago, I just tried to set it up the same way.

I don't understand what I need to change to set it up as suggested here. Which cables need to be switched? If it's working properly the way it is, what will I gain by changing things?

Regarding why I went wireless, it's because I didn't have a good way of getting a cable across my hallway. As I posted up above, when my cable cover arrives, I think I'll just put it over the wood floor. That way everything, including my TV, DVD player, and the DTV gear will be wired.

I had a one hour talk with DTV earlier today. They put 'Nathan' on the phone with me, who understood all of this, and who is now supposed to be sending me the "CCK-W Part no. DECAW1MR0-01" as was suggested up above. That should give me the option of using wired connections, the DTV wireless method, or using my original plan, setting up a Network Bridge.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Okay that will be better than tripig over a cable :) If you cable runs are short it won't really make any difference as to how you have it wired now - Doing it the suggested way would cause less sigal loss -but as you say if it's working -Don't kick a sleeping dog _LOL!

·
Dad
6,607 Posts
If you put everything back the way the picture was, remove the white DECA box, put a W-CCK in it's place (with ethernet cable), you may be good to go.

No need to reinvent from scratch.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,071 Posts
mikemyers said:
I had a one hour talk with DTV earlier today. They put 'Nathan' on the phone with me, who understood all of this, and who is now supposed to be sending me the "CCK-W Part no. DECAW1MR0-01" as was suggested up above. That should give me the option of using wired connections, the DTV wireless method, or using my original plan, setting up a Network Bridge.
The model number of my CCK-W is actually "DCAW1R0-01," not the above

Hope DIRECTV sends you the right unit.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

·
Legend
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WestDC said:
Looking at your picture

1. Goes to the LNB (Use the short cable 2)
Put Cable one in the singe top connector of 4 way splitter
Put Cable 2 from PI to red pass through of (1) 4 way
Put cable 3 to port (2) of 4way
Leave the Cat5 jumper conected to your switch

Red butto reset the HR24 (it has a internal Deca) now you connected as before Wired network over RG6

Put 75ohm termnators on all unused port (includig) Spare IRD port of PI
My first goal.... get this to work as it did before. My HR-24 and cables will start out exactly as in the photo I posted up above, but apparently something is not done the best way. If it's a good idea to move the cables , no reason not to do that. I've read the above several times, and I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting i do.

Specifically, I can't use the short cable to reach the LNB, as it's out in my balcony, maybe ten feet of cable away. I have to use the cable I'm using now, marked as (1).

I think you're telling me that this cable from the LNB, which I've marked as (1) should go to the "single" connector on the right side of the splitter as shown in my photo. Is this what you meant?

Regarding "Put Cable 2 from PI to red pass through of (1) 4 way", I think you're telling me to connect the cable that I labeled with (2), at the left side of the Power Injector in my photo above, to the #1 connection on the 4-way splitter, as that allows the power injector to power my system, and it will only work with the #1 connector. Do I understand this correctly?

By "Put cable 3 to port (2) of 4way" I think you're telling me that the cable I labeled as (3) should now run from the white box to the #2 connection on the splitter.

Lastly, my Ethernet cable, which I labeled as (5) will go to my network switch, which eventually is wired to a router, just as it was before.

---------------------

Before I do anything, and before I ask any more questions, is what I just wrote correct? If you think I got it right, I'll make a drawing of what I'm going to do, and post it here for a final check - then switch the wires.

Side note - the plastic cable covers arrived late this afternoon, and they are even better than what I hoped for. They're small, and pretty much blend into my floor so they don't look ugly. they're rigid, so there's no way anyone is going to trip on it. They come apart, so the wire can run fully enclosed. Last, they look quite professional - not at all like a hack. I'll post a photo once I get the other things sorted out.

·
Legend
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Separate question --- I'm puzzled about something, even if I never get to do it. For any wireless device I hook up to my network, I need to set the SSID, the type of encryption, and password. When the "CCK-W" / "DCAW1R0-01" arrives, and I want to hook it up to a network, is this done the way an Access Point is normally set up - plug it into a computer, enter all the settings using the computer, and save them, then disconnect the device and put it into service? (That's what someone would need to do, to set up a Network Bridge.)

But - this is DTV, so I'm wondering if all this is done via menus on the HR-24?

I'm just asking to satisfy my curiosity; I think I'm better off using cables, not Wi-Fi..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.