DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· AllStar
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup is listed towards the end of this post.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=132294

I want to know if I can use the SWM-8 with a sws-4 splitter to provide the capability of up to 4 HD DVRs. There are 3 legacy ports on the SWM-8. Could I use 2 of these to provide signal to a 2x16 multiswitch or do I need to split the output of two of the inputs from my slimline dish?

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
brockley said:
My current setup is listed towards the end of this post.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=132294

I want to know if I can use the SWM-8 with a sws-4 splitter to provide the capability of up to 4 HD DVRs. There are 3 legacy ports on the SWM-8. Could I use 2 of these to provide signal to a 2x16 multiswitch or do I need to split the output of two of the inputs from my slimline dish?
To support four HD DVRs all you need is the SWM8 (assuming all of the DVRs are the newer HR20/HR21 series DVR).

If you do any splitting of the lines from the dish, you need to split all 4 lines and feed the outputs of the splitters to two 4-input multiswitches (2 SWM's, 1 SWM and 1 WB68, 2 WB68's, etc.). You can't split a line and run one output of the splitter to a multiswitch and the other output of the splitter to a receiver. That won't work.

If you want HD, the 2x16 multiswitch won't work. You need a 4 input (4x8 or 4x16) as a minimum and if using the newer DVR series you specifically need a WB68 or WB616.

Carl

· AllStar
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are misunderstanding my question. I need both the SWM-8 and the 2x16 since not every room has HD capable TVs being college students.

I will explain a little more. There is one coax run to each room. Currently, the 4 outputs from the dish are fed as follows: 1 to an HR21-700, 1 to an HR21-200 and the other 2 to a 2x16 multiswitch. Obviously only 1 tuner is available on each of the HR21s. All of the coax cables run from each room and terminate into a box where the current multiswitch is located.

To alleviate this issue, I want to run the setup as follows. 4 outputs of the dish to the swm8. Run the SWM1 output to the PI then the IPD to a SWS-4 so I could hook up 4 swm capable DVRs. There are 3 legacy ports on the SWM8 to hook up older receivers such as a D10. The problem is, with dvrs in 4 rooms, there are still 16 more bedrooms and the living room that could have tvs in them. Thus the need to still be able to use the 2x16 multiswitch. I know I can just buy a dish and mount it on the room myself and run the 2x16 off of it but I was wondering if 2 of the 3 legacy ports could be used to run this multswitch on top of the 4 dvrs off the swm1 port.

If not, I know you can split the dish outputs to run multiple swm8s so could I just split 2 of the dish outputs (the two for the SD satellites) and run those to the 2x16 and the swm8 and then two outputs from the dish straight to the swm8.

Please let me know what the best solution is to my problem.

Thanks

· Registered
5,874 Posts
brockley said:
You are misunderstanding my question. I need both the SWM-8 and the 2x16 since not every room has HD capable TVs being college students.

I will explain a little more. There is one coax run to each room. Currently, the 4 outputs from the dish are fed as follows: 1 to an HR21-700, 1 to an HR21-200 and the other 2 to a 2x16 multiswitch. Obviously only 1 tuner is available on each of the HR21s. All of the coax cables run from each room and terminate into a box where the current multiswitch is located.

To alleviate this issue, I want to run the setup as follows. 4 outputs of the dish to the swm8. Run the SWM1 output to the PI then the IPD to a SWS-4 so I could hook up 4 swm capable DVRs. There are 3 legacy ports on the SWM8 to hook up older receivers such as a D10. The problem is, with dvrs in 4 rooms, there are still 16 more bedrooms and the living room that could have tvs in them. Thus the need to still be able to use the 2x16 multiswitch. I know I can just buy a dish and mount it on the room myself and run the 2x16 off of it but I was wondering if 2 of the 3 legacy ports could be used to run this multswitch on top of the 4 dvrs off the swm1 port.

If not, I know you can split the dish outputs to run multiple swm8s so could I just split 2 of the dish outputs (the two for the SD satellites) and run those to the 2x16 and the swm8 and then two outputs from the dish straight to the swm8.

Please let me know what the best solution is to my problem.

Thanks
if all you are running off of the 2x16 is SD, i dont see why you cant run it off of the legacy ports.

· AllStar
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, we have a few D10s and some old Hughes SD boxes and some R10s and R15s. I know those arent swm compatible but the main concern is support for HD and future boxes without having to run two lines to each room. I just wanted to make sure that the legacy ports were compatible with an SD multiswitch from an old round dish.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
jdspencer said:
You could use the 2x16 off the legacy ports of the SWM, but you'll only get the 101 satellite.
That is if the multiswitch locks it correctly to 101. This shouldn't be a problem if every receiver off the the 2x16 is set to a round (single LNB) dish.

· AllStar
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Until two months ago when HD was added, our dish was an 18" round dual output single LNB dish which only uses the 101 satellite. All of our programming was available on that including our local channels so that will not be a problem. Most of the receivers are running off that 2x16 switch hooked up to the slimline dish anyway. Again, there will be no HD run off the 2x16. I know it is not possible. That is why I am getting the swm.

· Registered
5,874 Posts
brockley said:
Until two months ago when HD was added, our dish was an 18" round dual output single LNB dish which only uses the 101 satellite. All of our programming was available on that including our local channels so that will not be a problem. Most of the receivers are running off that 2x16 switch hooked up to the slimline dish anyway. Again, there will be no HD run off the 2x16. I know it is not possible. That is why I am getting the swm.
if it does not work, then you will have to get 4 wideband splitters and split the 4 cables coming in from the dish and put a zinwell wb616 parrallel with the swm8

· AllStar
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep. Thats my backup. Just trying to use what I have already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.