DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Icon
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just ordered a SWM-8 and PI from Solid Signal for $139.99.

I looked at some diagrams and read some of the threads and think I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do.

However, I only have 3 lines coming from my LNB where they are joined to the 3 lines that go into my house. So, I need to add the 4th line from the LNB, so I can hook them up to the SWM at that point and then from the SWM into the house.

It appears I need to remove the LNB housing to attach the 4th cable. My question is - when I read the Slimline install guide, it said "DO NOT REMOVE THE LNB AFTER ALIGNING THE DISH." Does anyone know why? Is that just because you could mess up the alignment? I'm thinking I don't have much choice.

Once the SWM shows up I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that's it for now... :D

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
Make sure that all of the lock down and mounting bolts are tight , before you start, and you should be fine.

· Icon
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jdspencer said:
I still think installers need to run all four lines regardless of customer need at the time of install.
Yeah - I wish I'd know to ask for that.

But it was about 8:30 at night for an 8am-12 install and he kept mumbling something about not being able to do all the installs he had assigned, so I didn't want to push it.

· Icon
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Michael D'Angelo;1743480 said:
Also make sure you ground the 4th cable along with the other 3.
I'm not sure where the grounding for the other three short runs is. There are three cables of about 3 feet each going from the LNB to barrel connectors that connect to the three lines going into my house. I'm proposing running a fourth 3 foot line from the LNB, then connecting the SWM to those 4 lines replacing the barrel connectors. The three lines I have running from my house will stay the same and will connect to the 2 outputs of the SWM for 2 HR2x's and a legacy port for a standard receiver if I decide to activate it later on.

Do the 3 foot lines coming from the LNB get grounded somehow that I also need to do for the fourth? Sorry if it's a silly question. I've never done this before.

· Legend
144 Posts
jdspencer said:
I still think installers need to run all four lines regardless of customer need at the time of install.
Yeah, and I think all installers should give you free pole mounts and wash your dog while they are at it. Get real, most installers pay for those supplies, and then DTV doesnt allow us to charge for almost anything. COme on, if we were to try to future proof every install out there, well, the customer would have to pay for the install, and we all know that is not going to happen. Try this, next time you most installers get out of the buisness. go to the gas station and pump your gas, ask the cashier to future proof the gas prices for you at the current rate. Thought so. Its comments like these from customers that make me understand why most good installers have left the industry. Of the 30 guys that I trained with, 3 are still doing residential installs. I challenge any one out there to do the math on how much an installer makes per hour after supplies, insurance, licenses, fuel, vehicle and tell me if you would want to give away anything, or even continue to do the job. I know this sounds like a rant and you know what, It is.:mad:

· Registered
8,671 Posts
bgottschalk said:
I'm not sure where the grounding for the other three short runs is. There are three cables of about 3 feet each going from the LNB to barrel connectors that connect to the three lines going into my house. I'm proposing running a fourth 3 foot line from the LNB, then connecting the SWM to those 4 lines replacing the barrel connectors. The three lines I have running from my house will stay the same and will connect to the 2 outputs of the SWM for 2 HR2x's and a legacy port for a standard receiver if I decide to activate it later on.

Do the 3 foot lines coming from the LNB get grounded somehow that I also need to do for the fourth? Sorry if it's a silly question. I've never done this before.
swm has a screw for grounding on it..

· Registered
1,063 Posts
woodybeetle said:
I know this sounds like a rant and you know what, It is.:mad:
Future proofing is more expensive than idiot proofing then?

· Icon
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
woodybeetle said:
Yeah, and I think all installers should give you free pole mounts and wash your dog while they are at it. Get real, most installers pay for those supplies, and then DTV doesnt allow us to charge for almost anything. COme on, if we were to try to future proof every install out there, well, the customer would have to pay for the install, and we all know that is not going to happen. Try this, next time you most installers get out of the buisness. go to the gas station and pump your gas, ask the cashier to future proof the gas prices for you at the current rate. Thought so. Its comments like these from customers that make me understand why most good installers have left the industry. Of the 30 guys that I trained with, 3 are still doing residential installs. I challenge any one out there to do the math on how much an installer makes per hour after supplies, insurance, licenses, fuel, vehicle and tell me if you would want to give away anything, or even continue to do the job. I know this sounds like a rant and you know what, It is.:mad:
I understand your point and was in no way trying to imply that the installer should have given me anything for free (I even bought an HDMI cable from him for more than I could have gotten it from newegg because he did do the install so late in the evening for me).

However, I mentioned it because I do remember him saying how D* wants them to run 4 lines even if we don't need it. At that point, it was late and I didn't need it so I said no problem since he clearly didn't want to do it. Anyway, I would think if D* requires the installer to run 4 lines, they should pay the installer for the extra lines. If they don't, then I agree it is not very reasonable to expect the installer to do it for free.

· Icon
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
houskamp said:
swm has a screw for grounding on it..
Cool - I'll be sure to do that then.

I assume that it is needed even if the lines coming out of the SWM (and into the house) are already grounded?

· Legend
144 Posts
flipptyfloppity said:
Future proofing is more expensive than idiot proofing then?
Most installers would future proof if paid to do so. As of now, all installers are required to install dish, run lines to rooms as needed, also run phone lines as needed and activate. Most installers get paid 65 for the first and 15 for each additional receiver. Subtract the cost of supplies, average 23.00 for an install, subtract the insurrance cnarges average 2.00 per job, the gas 8.00 and the time there and the installer is in the 20.00 per hour rangs. Now pull the 28 percent taxes and he is in the 28000 range. No wonder the installers dont care. As for Idiot Proofing, I assume you refer to my company name. If so, its called that to convey the message that even an idiot can operate their system when we get the insatall completged. My company no longer does the average DTV install. We concentrate on MDU builds and installs as well as the occassional buisness or commercial install. Am I biased in the subject of the DTV residential installs, Yes. Now keep in mind, I was doing installs residentially when the customer paid 800.00 for the receiver and the dish. That was also when DTV paid their installers a good wage and inspected what they expected. Do I blame the customer for the problems, a little, although they have DTV to blame as DTV has fed the customer the everything is free attitude and destroyed and real expectations the customer may have about an install.. Try asking an electrician for a free install of a light switch. Nope not gonna happen.

· Legend
144 Posts
bgottschalk said:
I understand your point and was in no way trying to imply that the installer should have given me anything for free (I even bought an HDMI cable from him for more than I could have gotten it from newegg because he did do the install so late in the evening for me).

However, I mentioned it because I do remember him saying how D* wants them to run 4 lines even if we don't need it. At that point, it was late and I didn't need it so I said no problem since he clearly didn't want to do it. Anyway, I would think if D* requires the installer to run 4 lines, they should pay the installer for the extra lines. If they don't, then I agree it is not very reasonable to expect the installer to do it for free.
To this point, I say thank you for purchasing the cable, and to the installer, shame on you for not following your skope of work. If they sign the line, they should do the job. It is the ones that dont follow the scope of work that are considered hacks. I the installation world there are two options, read the scope of work and payscale offered, if you accept it then you need to do all of it. If you dont accept it then move on down the road until you find one you agree with. Not following the scope of work after you agree to it is just plain LYING in my eyes. The boss pays you to follow the scope, so do it.

· Icon
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
houskamp said:
I try to use any ground location I have..
OK - so another stupid question (I'm not an electrician): The 3 lines are grounded inside my house. The only close grounding location outside appears to be the box where the phone line comes to the house - there is a grounding post there with a wire running from the box. However, it is about 25 feet away from where my dish is located. Is that too far to run a grounding wire?

· Registered
8,671 Posts
bgottschalk said:
OK - so another stupid question (I'm not an electrician): The 3 lines are grounded inside my house. The only close grounding location outside appears to be the box where the phone line comes to the house - there is a grounding post there with a wire running from the box. However, it is about 25 feet away from where my dish is located. Is that too far to run a grounding wire?
OOOO a grounding question :p
If at all possible try to use the same ground point and your main house ground..

· Registered
1,063 Posts
woodybeetle said:
Most installers would future proof if paid to do so. As of now, all installers are required to install dish, run lines to rooms as needed, also run phone lines as needed and activate. Most installers get paid 65 for the first and 15 for each additional receiver. Subtract the cost of supplies, average 23.00 for an install, subtract the insurrance cnarges average 2.00 per job, the gas 8.00 and the time there and the installer is in the 20.00 per hour rangs. Now pull the 28 percent taxes and he is in the 28000 range. No wonder the installers dont care. As for Idiot Proofing, I assume you refer to my company name. If so, its called that to convey the message that even an idiot can operate their system when we get the insatall completged. My company no longer does the average DTV install. We concentrate on MDU builds and installs as well as the occassional buisness or commercial install. Am I biased in the subject of the DTV residential installs, Yes. Now keep in mind, I was doing installs residentially when the customer paid 800.00 for the receiver and the dish. That was also when DTV paid their installers a good wage and inspected what they expected. Do I blame the customer for the problems, a little, although they have DTV to blame as DTV has fed the customer the everything is free attitude and destroyed and real expectations the customer may have about an install.. Try asking an electrician for a free install of a light switch. Nope not gonna happen.
Yeah, I was riffing on your company name there. I don't blame you for leaving the business of doing "ordinary" installs. It's a tough business right now. DirecTV has to advertise the installs as being free, in order to compete with cable. And since they're the ones paying for the majority of the installs, they have a ton of price control power.

I'm guessing that the only reason installers make any money at all is because of the few easy installs they get (basically replacement installs). But those are the ones that make us knowledgeable customers angry. We know we've made it easy for the tech and yet they aren't willing to give anything back by putting in an extra wire. We don't see that if they did that, they would turn their few profitable installs into additional unprofitable ones.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
houskamp said:
OOOO a grounding question :p
If at all possible try to use the same ground point and your main house ground..
If possible, I like to ground my dish directly to the satellite itself.

· Icon
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
flipptyfloppity said:
If possible, I like to ground my dish directly to the satellite itself.
Well if THAT works, then my 25 ft. grounding run should be fine. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.