DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm about to install a SWM-8 and want to make sure I'm doing it the correct way. On the SWM-8 the inbound connectors are labeled with a specific satellites: 99, 101, 103, 110 and 119. There are four connectors, and I have four lines coming from my dish that are all running to a specific receiver. Does it matter which cable I plug into the inbound connectors, and I assume that I just split the line that comes out of SWM-1 after it comes out of the switching power supply. Thanks for all the help!

James

· Lifetime Achiever
10,820 Posts
:welcome_s to DBSTalk, jrmckinn!

Not a stupid question at all.

1) The first thing you want to do is unplugged all of your receivers.
2) Then connect the 4 lines from the dish to the SMW8. It does not matter what line goes to what input.
3) Then run a cable at least 15' long from SWM1 output (it can be coiled up if you want) to the PI (power supply). Then from the PI and from SWM2 output (if you are using both) run a line to the receivers or splitters first if you need more lines.
4) Once all lines are connected plug in the PI.
5) Then plug the receivers in and they will set everything up during startup. Make sure you remove the BBC before you power anything up.

· Icon
1,306 Posts
Everything said is correct; what's missing is what you're going to do with the feed after you install the SWM8 and it's Power Inserter.

You can of course plug up the SWM receiver/DVR on the output port of the Power Inserter (PI). But you didn't spell out exactly why you're going the SWM route to begin with, or what number of 'tuners' you actually have, or their location.

These little SWM splitters at:

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/index...h&PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=SWM8&Page=1

allow you to 'space out' your cable plant, especially if you are utilizing original 'cable tv' cable around to areas of your home (like an upstairs bedroom/den or others).

There are, as you can see, a 2-output, 4-output, and an 8-output device, all with dual power ports. I use these babies by the boatload in designing MDU plants, and in my own home have two 4-port units, one right off the SWM8 output to run 3 outputs, 1 to my backyard 'shed' unit (where I keep my RV w/ DVR), and another run up to one bedroom (original RG6 installed 'cable tv' run from when the home was built back in the 80's).

The third run goes into my living room, where it hits yet another 4-port- unit, and from there to the PI, and out to a DVR and a stand-alone HD receiver, as well as 'looping around' to go down yet another cable to go up to the master bedroom (where I have another DVR).

Of course, the original installed cable tv cable (all RG6) meant the somewhat wacky runs and such, but the little 'splitters' made it all possible.

As you can see on the units, they have two DC ports (for the PI), and then the additional ports are for any receivers. Dirt Simple. And Very Cheap. Even if you plan out your cable runs and such, get an extra one for 'future expansion' and for if you change your mind on how to do things by the time they arrive.

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, here's more info. I have four rooms that currently have boxes: 1 HR21, 1 non-dvr HD box, and two standard receivers. These are fed via RG6 from a Leviton Distribution box. There is a 6-way splitter in this box I was planning on using. Are you guys saying that I can't use that splitter? Thanks!

James

· Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
The labels on the inputs only really matter if you are splitting the lines coming from the dish to use multiple switches. Then you have to match between the 2 switches. With a single switch it doesn't matter.

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two more questions, do I have to connect my non-HD and DVR boxes into the legacy ports on the SWM, or will they work off the line coming from the PI, and do I have to use a specific kind of splitter? Sorry to ask so many questions, my installer wasn't very familiar with the device so I'm left to do this on my own, which I would rather do anyway. Thanks!

James

· Lifetime Achiever
10,820 Posts
jrmckinn said:
Two more questions, do I have to connect my non-HD and DVR boxes into the legacy ports on the SWM, or will they work off the line coming from the PI, and do I have to use a specific kind of splitter? Sorry to ask so many questions, my installer wasn't very familiar with the device so I'm left to do this on my own, which I would rather do anyway. Thanks!

James
What model receivers do you have? Only the HR20, HR21, H20, H21, H23, D12, R16, and R22 work off the SWM outputs. All other receivers have to have separate lines ran from the legacy outputs.

You need power passing splitters 5MHz to 2150MHz (or higher).

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Michael,
I have a 1x4 splitter that was shipped with the SWM. 1 is a powered port, and the 3 others appear to not be. Should the "powered" port be connected to the HR21, and then the non-powered to the others?

James

· Lifetime Achiever
10,820 Posts
jrmckinn said:
I did this pretty quickly, but you guys should be able to see what's going on. What am I missing? Thanks!

James
Looks good. Just make sure you put the terminator cap on SWM2 output and make sure you connect the right in line and out line on the PI before plugging it in. A member here (not going to say any names :) ) burned one up by doing it wrong.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Michael D'Angelo;1678967 said:
Looks good. Just make sure you put the terminator cap on SWM2 output and make sure you connect the right in line and out line on the PI before plugging it in. A member here (not going to say any names :) ) burned one up by doing it wrong.
jrmckinn
The terminator comes connected, so leaving it in place shouldn't be too hard.
To connect the PI correctly is easy also as the correct connectors are the RED ones [just like if you were to use the splitter]. Where you can have problems, is after the initial setup if you happen to go back and start working with the cables again, but "lose track" of which is connected to the RED connectors.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
jrmckinn said:
Ok, so using the "Out1" Power Pass on the splitter to the HR21 is ok. It's not going to burn up anything? Boy would my wife be pissed!

James
Yes [again], what all of this is about is that the PI outputs 29 volts to the SWM, but if this were to go to a receiver, you would damages the receiver since it's only capable of 18 volts.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.