DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Icon
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to convert my legacy slimline lnb to a swm system. All I really need is the swm lnb, 21v power inserter, and 8 way splitter? A multiswitch is not required for this setup, correct?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
mluntz said:
I am looking to convert my legacy slimline lnb to a swm system. All I really need is the swm lnb, 21v power inserter, and 8 way splitter? A multiswitch is not required for this setup, correct?

Thanks
The SWiM LNB doesn't /can't use a multiswitch.
I might get a 4-way splitter instead of an 8-way with the receivers you have.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,071 Posts
Of note;

Technically speaking, any multi-sat dish requires a "multi-switch."

The SWiM LNB has a single wire "multi-switch" built into the LNB itself and cannot ever be used with an external one of any type.

The legacy four output LNB has a conventional voltage/tone multiline "multi-switch" integrated into the LNB and may be used with another external one of that type to expand the number of lines or with a SWiM type "multi-switch" to convert the installation to single wire.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
Using single line technology, you would have one coax from the dish. Depending on how many receivers you have and locations, the following would be someplace:

A power inserter that the coax goes to and plugs into AC power. You must have this, so no matter what you would have had one of these.

One or more splitters. Coax from the dish (or from the power inserter) goes to the input of the splitter, and coax from the output of the splitter to various tv locations.

The power inserter could have been between the dish and the splitter, or between the splitter and one of the TV locations, or could have just been off the splitter without another coax going to a tv location.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.