DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be moving in a couple of weeks and have a couple of questions.

Right now i have a slimline 5 dish with a regular multiswitch (non SWM). I also have an HR20-100 and and HR20-700. Also I have Whole Home DVR ethernet hardwired thru my netgear router.

When I move i'd like to switch to a SWM multiswitch so i only have to have one run to each DVR. First question is the hr20-100 and hr20-700 compatible with SWM?

2nd question I called DTV and asked them about the SWM multiswitch. And the guy told me if i have a SWM multiswitch installed (not adding deca though) he said i wuld no longer be able to use my hard wired ethernet for Whole Home DVR he said SWM isnt compatible with hard wired ethernet whole home dvr.

I dont get that b/c i only want to add the SWM just so i only need one run i dont see why that would interfere with my ethernet runs from my router?

Did this DTV tech guy give me incorrect information. Can I use a SWM multiswitch with hardwired ethernet dvr?
 

· The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
36,634 Posts
He's giving you the company line. The thing is, you can use ethernet with SWM, that's not a problem. You already know that DIRECTV won't support it. If you are willing to buy the parts yourself from a third-party web site like Solid Signal then you can install everything yourself, it's basically swapping one multiswitch for another, connecting the power inserter, removing one coax (and both BBCs) from each DVR and re-running satellite setup.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But an HR20-700 and HR20-100 suports SWM right?

Well i'm moving and my dish is up on the 2nd floor so i wont be able take my dish with me. I have a friend that is a DTV contractor and he does installs so he has all the equipment (slimline 5 dish, SWM mutiswitch.......and then i'm going to need an under the eve mount). I'm going to use him b/c he already looked at the place i'm moving to and knows exactly what mounts i need, etc.

In the past when i've used the DTV movers connection it's always a hassle especially since i have always lived in apartment they never bring out the correct equipment (usually the incorrect mounts) and i have to end up having 2-3 installers come out before they get it right. Then even though the movers connection is supposed to be free everytime i've moved i've upgraded my dish system and it's always cost me money so why bother with the hassle if i have to pay anyways. The guy I know ....knows eactly what to bring out and it will get done on the 1st trip out.

When i talked to directv they told me if i moved and had the SWM installed the DTV intaller wuld have to also install DECA and i dont want that happening i like the harwired whole home dvr option i am using. I've been using it since Beta stage and never had one issue with it. The DTV contractor isnt going to make me put on a DECA (he actually said hard wired ethernet is better for whole home dvr----not sure if that is true or not i guess it depends on each individual install).
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
41,526 Posts
gregftlaud said:
When i talked to directv they told me if i moved and had the SWM installed the DTV intaller wuld have to also install DECA and i dont want that happening i like the harwired whole home dvr option i am using. I've been using it since Beta stage and never had one issue with it. The DTV contractor isnt going to make me put on a DECA (he actually said hard wired ethernet is better for whole home dvr----not sure if that is true or not i guess it depends on each individual install).
Not that I'm trying to change your mind, but instead explain the DECA is a hardwired network.
I've had it from the earliest days and don't find the need [now] for ethernet cabling.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not going to use DECA. So i'm still going to have to do special wiring for the 100? If so u mentioned a splitter and b band filter on tuner 2. Ok i already have be band filters on my system. Isnt the SWM in tuner 1?

Anyone have a diagram of what that wuld look like on a 100 without Deca and just SWM? The splitter (what kind btw?) and a band stop filter on tuner
2.

It's funny my 700 says FTM instead of SWM on the SWM tuner
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
41,526 Posts
Delroy E Walleye said:
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the HR20-100 needs an addtional components to run DECA that aren't required for other HRs, (700).
dpeters11 said:
Not for DECA but for SWM, a splitter and band stop filter on tuner 2.
Actually it is for the DECA because the SAT #1 can't power the DECA, so a splitter is needed to feed the DC from SAT #2 into the DECA. If the splitter is between the DECA and the HR20-100, a filter isn't needed, but if the splitter is before the DECA, than SAT #1 needs the BSF.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
41,526 Posts
gregftlaud said:
I'm not going to use DECA. So i'm still going to have to do special wiring for the 100? If so u mentioned a splitter and b band filter on tuner 2. Ok i already have be band filters on my system. Isnt the SWM in tuner 1?

Anyone have a diagram of what that wuld look like on a 100 without Deca and just SWM? The splitter (what kind btw?) and a band stop filter on tuner
2.

It's funny my 700 says FTM instead of SWM on the SWM tuner
they were build before the name was settled on.

Without DECA, the -100 is just like all others, and uses the SAT #1.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok VeryoldSchool i'm not using deca or having it added just a SWM multiswitch is being added. So will i still need that special wiring on my HR20-100 if i'm not using DECA and just using a SWM multiswitch with hardwired ethernet whole home dvr?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,058 Posts
gregftlaud said:
Ok VeryoldSchool i'm not using deca or having it added just a SWM multiswitch is being added. So will i still need that special wiring on my HR20-100 if i'm not using DECA and just using a SWM multiswitch with hardwired ethernet whole home dvr?
No, the special hookup for the HR20-100 is only for DECA.

Also, while it is your personal choice to remain with ethernet, I cannot agree with your installer friend that its better than DECA.

I've had DECA since 2010 and notice no difference in performance to ethernet.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top