DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Icon
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday during the bad storms that rocked the eastern seaboard I pretty much lost the HD sats for almost all day. absolutely 0 on my signal meter for anything on 99 and 103 sats.

Anyways my question is when I was checking the signal meter on my DVR's I noticed my SWM channels were also really low (in the 60's). I thought these channels were virtual channels between the receivers and the SWM switch (SWM8 in my case). Why would the weather affect those? (my SWM 8 switch is inside and protected from the weather).

I installed all brand new cable 8 months ago (quad shield RG6 solid copper core) with good compression fittings on the ends. Is it possible that one of my cables is bad? or is losing signal strength on the SWM meter normal for weather fade conditions? I have seen absolutely 0 problems until yesterday. Today everything seems perfect! SWM signals all hovering around 99.

PS no long runs involved, longest is only about 30 feet from the SWM8. The 4 leads to the dish from the SWM8 are around 50 feet max.

·
Icon
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
veryoldschool said:
when the input signal drops a lot, the SWiM "channels" do also.
I had my dish knocked out of alignment and the SWiMs were zero.
Thanks! I guess I am good then. Even though I don't understand why the SWM channels have anything to do with the SAT's.

I would have assumed the SWM channels would stay up even if the switch wasn't hooked to a dish.

Oh well, as long as its normal I am not worrying about it.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
ffemtreed said:
Thanks! I guess I am good then. Even though I don't understand why the SWM channels have anything to do with the SAT's.

I would have assumed the SWM channels would stay up even if the switch wasn't hooked to a dish.

Oh well, as long as its normal I am not worrying about it.
Nothing in = nothing out. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.