DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
flipptyfloppity said:
This is conjecture, but I think it is correct.

The signals in those pages represent signal loss between the SWM and the receiver. A 100 means (essentially) no loss. The reason this is measured separately is because when you tune a channel, it can be sent from the SWM to the receiver over one of 8 different frequency bands. If a frequency band doesn't work well, then you might tune a channel one time and get it in just fine and then tune it another time and not have it work because it's on a bad frequency band. It's essential all the bands work well.

So, if you look at the numbers, you'll see the signal loss goes up as the band number goes up. This indicates the bands are numbered in order of increasing frequency, and signal loss increases as frequency goes up. If you have long cable runs, the higher numbers could have significantly more signal loss, while the lower ones will be less affected. I think my lowest figure is 96 on this page. I do not know what the lowest acceptable number is.
No, the system is measuring signal strength (probably error rate) on the internal communication between the SWM and the receiver. You can't really measure loss because you don't have anything to compare the signal with. And you won't necessarily have a decrease in signal strength as the SWM channel number increase (unless you have very poor cables, which will cause you problems anyway) the SWM does not use any higher frequencies than regular DirecTV signals. My only SWM channels that do not give 100 today are channels 2 and 4, which are at 98. Tomorrow it could be different.
What I am not certain about is what causes the error rate to rise so you don't get 100 all the time.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.