DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been gone for a while from DBS, but am moving next week and am about to call D*; I have a question though....are the installers currently using the SWM's on new installs? If not I may just do the install myself, but if they are and I can have them do it at no cost i might as well.

I'm looking to get D* and cable service to 5 locations, 2 HR20's 1 DirectTivo and 2 old school RCA boxes with a SWM I figure I should be able to fo this with only 1 cable run to each location, correct?

· Registered
8,035 Posts
Mike32280 said:
I've been gone for a while from DBS, but am moving next week and am about to call D*; I have a question though....are the installers currently using the SWM's on new installs? If not I may just do the install myself, but if they are and I can have them do it at no cost i might as well.

I'm looking to get D* and cable service to 5 locations, 2 HR20's 1 DirectTivo and old school RCA boxesl with a SWM I figure I should be able to fo this with only 1 cable run to each location, correct?
No.

First, DirecTv does not and will not support diplexing with the SWMs. Some have gotten it to work for now. This is DIY territory.

Second, your DTivos and old school RCA boxes are not compatible with the SWM LNB. They would however work with the SWM8 external module off the legacy ports. HSPs for the most part are not installing these (mainly going to MDUs), so you'd have to get one third party.

Now if you were to replace your older equipment and not diplex, then yes, you'd be good to go.

For reference, D12, R16, HR20, H20 or higher/newer #'s are compatible.

· AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if I don't tell them i'm deplexing and handle that aspect myself post instalation what are my chances?

If I use my exsisting dish 5LNB (whatever the new dish that picks up the new HD is) and a SWM8 I could use for my 3 legacy ports for my "legacy" receivers, correct?

· Legend
124 Posts
Your best bet for getting a SWM would be to just order it through one of the 3rd party groups out there. D* pretty much just uses them for (as RobertE said) new installs that the tech deems it would be necessary to use it for and MDU's. They're fairly expensive units... so that pretty much means the HSPs aren't just going to hand them out like Loaves and Fishes

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Mike32280 said:
So if I don't tell them i'm deplexing and handle that aspect myself post instalation what are my chances?

If I use my exsisting dish 5LNB (whatever the new dish that picks up the new HD is) and a SWM8 I could use for my 3 legacy ports for my "legacy" receivers, correct?
Send a PM to Dave29 [here] for a SWM8

· Registered
8,035 Posts
Mike32280 said:

If you handle the diplexing yourself, the chances are between 0-100 that it will work for a time period of never to forever. :p

Yes, if you use an external SWM8, you'll have three legacy ports to use. You would use two of them to feed both tuners of a DTivo, no cheap way around that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.