·
Legend
334 Posts
Your good just so long you have a LA141R on it

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
pjwinstalls said:
are you saying i need one of these on each of the 4 legs coming from the dish? Would i need something more if i am doing two swm-16's?
70' is worth maybe 7 dB loss, or about 3 dB more than DirecTV recommends, which is well within the range.
Adding a splitter in the line to feed another -16, is going to raise this to about 12 dB. This might be where you want an amp.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
The numbers are such that I more than likely would do this in two steps.

1) without the amp, as it's close but within reasonable limits.

2) add the amp later if I noticed problems.

Doing it now would be more like "insurance", where you don't need it but fell better with it.

·
Mentor
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i like insurance. I have two swm16 and have had them connected via cascading as thats the way everyone was recommending originally. But i have had nothing but problems and i just saw the diagram with the splitters so I am going to change it to that method but with MRV added. I will get the amp you recommend.... is there a particular model splitter you recommend?

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
pjwinstalls said:
i like insurance. I have two swm16 and have had them connected via cascading as thats the way everyone was recommending originally. But i have had nothing but problems and i just saw the diagram with the splitters so I am going to change it to that method but with MRV added. I will get the amp you recommend.... is there a particular model splitter you recommend?

Thanks again!
If you've gone with the cascaded method, the problem is the legacy ports have too much loss.
The amp posted can compensate for this and has also been used for another dual SWiM-16 setup that was cascaded.

There's a lot of good information here: http://forums.solidsignal.com/showthread.php/336-WHITE-PAPER-More-than-16-tuners-in-the-home

·
Icon
843 Posts
it recommends the PL if you dont have a spot to provide the amp power and will be using the power coming off the four legs of the swm switch.

But ya put amp as close to dish as possible, get PL if you dont have or dont want to add power up in the attic.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
pjwinstalls said:
That article recommends a polarity locker with that amp.....should i get it? My SWM16s are in the basement, should i put the amp in the attic near the dish?
Jodean said:
it recommends the PL if you dont have a spot to provide the amp power and will be using the power coming off the four legs of the swm switch.

But ya put amp as close to dish as possible, get PL if you dont have or dont want to add power up in the attic.
The locker is made by the same folks as the amp, "so" there is a bit of bias.
It all depends on where you mount things, but DON'T mount the amp next to the dish. It's designed to have some loss between the dish and the amp.

Since you're cascading the -16s now this would make more sense to me:

·
Mentor
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
will this setup your now recommending work using the diplexers for MRV between the two SWM16s as shown in the white paper? Why shouldnt i use the recommended setup in the white paper for connecting the two swm16s and use this method your showing me instead?

Thanks again!

Philip

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
pjwinstalls said:
will this setup your now recommending work using the diplexers for MRV between the two SWM16s as shown in the white paper? Why shouldnt i use the recommended setup in the white paper for connecting the two swm16s and use this method your showing me instead?

Thanks again!

Philip
There are several ways you can do this.

Since you have 75' dish to SWiM, not using splitters save their loss.
The gain of the amp is the same as the loss to the legacy ports, so they balance each out and you're using the parts you have [short of the amp].

Before you moving to the diplexer method of combining the DECA signals, you'll need to sort out how the whole system will work together.

Maybe you can "spell out" what you have and the types of splitters and lengths of coax runs to each receiver/location.

The "end to end" losses need to be looked at.

·
Mentor
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
7 - hr21/24s
2- h25s
2- deca adapters
2- swm16s.

5 DVRs are approx 55feet from swm16s
2 DVRS are approx 25feet from swm16s
2 H25s are approx 20 feet from swm16s

The Decas are located next to the swm16s. 4way swm splitters coming off the swm outputs on each swm16.

The cascading method without the amp has been working fine for a few months.

Starting a couple of weeks ago, my MRV stopped working. I would start watching something of another receiver then it would drop the connection....a couple of mins later all the receivers would show up again. This is/was happening on all receiver constantly. I have swapped out swm16s, tried a single swm16 setup, changed out decas, changed out network switch, and changed router.....all to no avail. I thought maybe the cascading was suddenly causing a problem so i tried just running one swm16 and still the same issue.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
pjwinstalls said:
7 - hr21/24s
2- h25s
2- deca adapters
2- swm16s.

5 DVRs are approx 55feet from swm16s
2 DVRS are approx 25feet from swm16s
2 H25s are approx 20 feet from swm16s

The Decas are located next to the swm16s. 4way swm splitters coming off the swm outputs on each swm16.

The cascading method without the amp has been working fine for a few months.

Starting a couple of weeks ago, my MRV stopped working. I would start watching something of another receiver then it would drop the connection....a couple of mins later all the receivers would show up again. This is/was happening on all receiver constantly. I have swapped out swm16s, tried a single swm16 setup, changed out decas, changed out network switch, and changed router.....all to no avail. I thought maybe the cascading was suddenly causing a problem so i tried just running one swm16 and still the same issue.
Changing anything about the SWiMs isn't going to have any affect.
MRV/DECA works [or not] independently from the SWiMs.

There have been some issues of late and a firmware update has helped some others with this problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.