DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 5 receivers (HR20-700, HR21-100 and HR22-100).

When I added the fifth, I had to split one of the dual cable runs since my switch only handles 4 pairs of tuners. Now, two of my DVR's only have one tuner connected. I'd like all receivers to have both tuners working, so I was looking at a SWM16.

Looking at the SWM16 I read:

"With a SWM, only ONE LINE is connected into the back of a compatible HD DVR. The satellite 2 input is NOT USED and two tuners are available from that single line. No split at the unit is necessary; this is performed internally."

Is that the case where each of my HR units only need one cable for both tuners? I've got those converter pig-tails (I forget what their called...b-band converter?) connected to all my receiver inputs. Will I still need those?

If I pay DirecTV to come out, will they install a SWM16 or should I go the ebay route and install it myself?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

· Legend
234 Posts
lancorp said:
Is that the case where each of my HR units only need one cable for both tuners?
Yes. The SWM 16 has 2 outputs, each able to support 4 DVRs.

lancorp said:
I've got those converter pig-tails (I forget what their called...b-band converter?) connected to all my receiver inputs. Will I still need those?
Those will not be needed.

lancorp said:
If I pay DirecTV to come out, will they install a SWM16 or should I go the ebay route and install it myself?
You're already over 8 tuners, so any order generated would be unlikely to include a SWM 16 unless you go for the Whole Home DVR upgrade.

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dielray said:
Yes. The SWM 16 has 2 outputs, each able to support 4 DVRs.
Still confused. :confused:

I know the SWM16 has two outputs, and each output can go to a 8-way splitter. Each 8-way splitter can drive 4 dual-tuner HD DVR's (4 x 2). That means two cables need to go to each HD DVR, which is what I currently have.

I took what I read as saying only one cable needs to go to the HD DVR, and that internally, the DVR will split it to both tuners (SAT 2 input not needed).

That didn't sound right, since there are, basically, 16 outputs if you use both 8-way splitters.

Also, two of my receivers are only using one tuner, since I only have 8 outputs currently, and have 5 receivers. Receivers 1-3 have 2 inputs connected (total 6) and the last two only have 1 tuner connected (total 2). That's all 8 of my outputs. I'd hope DirecTV would see fit to install a SWM16 since i'm not able to use all five of my HD DVR's to their capacity.

There is a tech coming tomorrow to troubleshoot an issue (all our local channels this morning look heavily pixelated and blocky with motion, like DTV switched to some old MPEG standard or something. It was fine last night, but this morning, everything local looks horrible). I'll check with the tech about getting a SWM16.

· Registered
3,752 Posts
With SWM, only 1 line goes to each receiver, but with the DVRs, it still counts as 2 tuners towards your total (With the exception of the HR34, which counts as 5). If you're currently over capacity, probably your best route would be to order a cheap HD receiver from Directv, and when they come to install it, they'll swap everything out and GIVE YOU a SWM16. If you don't want/need the additional receiver, once the tech leaves, call Directv and have it turned off. Total cost will be around $100, unless you can get a deal. Only thing to keep in mind is this WILL give you a new 2 year contract. If you want to avoid that, you'll HAVE to do EVERYTHING yourself.

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kevinturcotte said:
With SWM, only 1 line goes to each receiver, but with the DVRs, it still counts as 2 tuners towards your total (With the exception of the HR34, which counts as 5). If you're currently over capacity, probably your best route would be to order a cheap HD receiver from Directv, and when they come to install it, they'll swap everything out and GIVE YOU a SWM16. If you don't want/need the additional receiver, once the tech leaves, call Directv and have it turned off. Total cost will be around $100, unless you can get a deal. Only thing to keep in mind is this WILL give you a new 2 year contract. If you want to avoid that, you'll HAVE to do EVERYTHING yourself.
I have only HD-DVR's so I use the term receiver and HD DVR synonymously.

Given your explanation, then, if I go with the SWM16, and use the 8-way splitters off each of the two outputs on the SWM16, I just need one cable to each HD DVR, and the HD DVR internally splits it to both tuners in that HD DVR?

In my case, then, I picture having only 5 cables coming from the 8-way splitters. Do all 5 come from one leg or split them between the 2 legs so that 3 come off one 8-way and 2 more come off the other?

Sorry to be a blockhead about this! Just want to get a clear picture in my mind! :)

Also, I have their Protection Plan, so not sure if any of this cost would be covered under that or not.

· Registered
3,752 Posts
Yes, the DVR internally splits them. As far as splitting the cables, you want to use as few splits as possible. If you let Directv do it, they'll figure it out. You have 5 receivers total, correct? Probably the best way to do it would be to split 1 output with a 4 way, and then run a cable directly from the 2nd output on the SWM to the receiver.

· Legend
234 Posts
lancorp said:
There is a tech coming tomorrow to troubleshoot an issue (all our local channels this morning look heavily pixelated and blocky with motion, like DTV switched to some old MPEG standard or something. It was fine last night, but this morning, everything local looks horrible). I'll check with the tech about getting a SWM16.
Be aware it may or may not happen. DirecTV doesn't pay the HSP for a SWM 16 on a service call. The HSPs have to send back the bad one they replaced to get one in return.

· Registered
3,752 Posts
dielray said:
Be aware it may or may not happen. DirecTV doesn't pay the HSP for a SWM 16 on a service call. The HSPs have to send back the bad one they replaced to get one in return.
I would say it's probably NOT going to happen. If it's effecting ALL receivers, they'll probably check signal strengths, realign the dish, and maybe swap out the LNB. If it still continues, they'll probably start replacing cables, and maybe BBCs (Not sure if they carry these or not). If it's just one receiver, they'll swap out the BBCs (If they have any), and maybe rerun some cables. If that doesn't work, they may look at swapping out the receiver. The fact that you want to switch to SWM is an upgrade issue.

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kevinturcotte said:
I would say it's probably NOT going to happen. If it's effecting ALL receivers, they'll probably check signal strengths, realign the dish, and maybe swap out the LNB. If it still continues, they'll probably start replacing cables, and maybe BBCs (Not sure if they carry these or not). If it's just one receiver, they'll swap out the BBCs (If they have any), and maybe rerun some cables. If that doesn't work, they may look at swapping out the receiver. The fact that you want to switch to SWM is an upgrade issue.
Yes, I didn't mean to infer that the tech would switch me out with a SWM tomorrow. I just meant I'd inquire how it would go if I did it...pick his brain, as it were...

· Icon
545 Posts
You could call and ask for a "whole home" upgrade and see what kind of deal they would make for you, who knows they may even do it for free, doesn't hurt to try!

Option 2 would be to do it yourself! I found a SWM16 with PI at AMAZON for under $40, you could also check Ebay!

Replace your current multiswitch, I assume it is a wb68, with the swm 16, and I would use one of the coax runs that you spare up to run PI, Then it's up to you how you want to split them! I would use a 4way spliter on one side and run to 3 DVRs and a 2way on the other to the other DVRs.

There are a lot of people here who can answer any questions or get you thru roadblocks you might run into! Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.