DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Godfather
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have recently added an SWM8 to my setup. It is in parallel to a WB616. I also have OTA diplexed just after the PI. I have one output from the SWM8 going to an SWS4 splitter. Attached to this splitter is:
H20 with diplexer for OTA
HR20-100 with diplexer for OTA
HR21-100 (waiting for my AM21 to arrive)
HR20-700 with diplexer for OTA

So I am using 7 tuners.

Every once in a while, every receiver that is connected to my SWM8 will stop receiving a satellite signal. OTA works on those that have OTA. When it stops working, all transponders on all satellites on both tuners get 0 signal strength. A reboot does nothing. Eventually it "fixes" itself and everything will start working again. Here is what is weird. This has happened twice and could just be coincidence. I can go around and play with all the receivers (by changing channels and so forth) nothing occurs (just a gray screen....EXCEPT on the HR20-700. When I go check that one, it will initially show a gray screen. When I change the channel it will start working as do all the other receivers that were previously not working. Now this occurrence could just be coincidence. But both times I did it, the problem fixed as soon as I changed channels on that HR20-700.
I don't know how often this problem occurs, but I've noticed it about 4 times in the past week.

When this problem occurs all of the receivers on the WB616 are just fine.

Can anyone give me any suggestions that I can try out?

Thanks,
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,874 Posts
I would de-power the SWM and the four units connected to it. Wait five minutes then plug the SWM back in. Then plug the four units in one at a time with a one minute delay between each unit. Plug the HR20-700 in first.

While I can't think of why this would cause your symptoms, also verify the four inputs to the SWM and the WB616 are paired correctly.

Carl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,945 Posts
it sounds like a tuner overload, but obviously that is not the case. what kind of splitters are you using in parallel? is your power inserter on a ups? even though it is not required to be on a ups, i highly recommend it. how many feet of cable do you have between the PI and swm?
 

·
Dad
Joined
·
6,606 Posts
houskamp said:
Any radio stations nearby? I've had trouble with FM radio station messing up the SWM..
Smoke, in all the previous posts I never saw that one from you.

What kind of problems? Can you be specific?

My SWMline had a failure but I live real close to FM and TV Stations and forgot all about possibility and should have known better.
Haven't been able to get another SWMline to try some things out so I'm a bit handicapped right now.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
dinotheo said:
Hi all,
I have recently added an SWM8 to my setup. It is in parallel to a WB616.
+ the question asked by others, why parallel, and how are you doing that? (splitters, etc.)

The companies I consult to have done a fair amount of adding SWM8's to WB616 installations (virtually all the mult-receiver plants, as we threw out all the WB68's a LONG time ago).

ALL of them have been daisy chained off the WB616's (after all, uses 4 of the 16 outputs, less than the number you free up by going with the SWM8). All are working 100%. Not a peep of a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,636 Posts
http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7868&d=1175900399
thats my distrubution panel (old pic).. you can see the 2 fm traps in the bottom left corner..
I have a couple of radio stations nearby (one less than 2 miles) that give me trouble.. I found out about them when I still had my older recievers and tvs.. I would get patterns on screen.. When I got the SWM I tried it with out them and the SWM kept droppping out.. Put the traps back in and it's been perfect for over a year and a half...
This is also why I suspect the "no diplexing rule" from directv..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,024 Posts
houskamp said:
http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7868&d=1175900399
thats my distrubution panel (old pic).. you can see the 2 fm traps in the bottom left corner..
I have a couple of radio stations nearby (one less than 2 miles) that give me trouble.. I found out about them when I still had my older recievers and tvs.. I would get patterns on screen.. When I got the SWM I tried it with out them and the SWM kept droppping out.. Put the traps back in and it's been perfect for over a year and a half...
This is also why I suspect the "no diplexing rule" from directv..
Only took 7 posts. ;)
 

·
Dad
Joined
·
6,606 Posts
I remember your picture.
My SWMline failure was at first one receiver wouldn't tune it.
But the weird one was that the 99S signals were there (80's) without video. Good signals, no 771, just black video on all 99S MPEG4.

Nothing was diplexed so doubt the FM was an issue. If I find a bargain on a new one, I may try another SWMline to be sure of root cause.

Thanks for the info.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1948GG said:
+ the question asked by others, why parallel, and how are you doing that? (splitters, etc.)

The companies I consult to have done a fair amount of adding SWM8's to WB616 installations (virtually all the mult-receiver plants, as we threw out all the WB68's a LONG time ago).

ALL of them have been daisy chained off the WB616's (after all, uses 4 of the 16 outputs, less than the number you free up by going with the SWM8). All are working 100%. Not a peep of a problem.
They are in parallel because I previously had a WB68 in parallel with the WB616 and I just swapped the SWM8 with the WB68. I also have a 95 dish on a flexport. The coax from the PI to the SWM is about 6'.

Basically my setup is very similar to Michael D'Angelo (moderator here) except that I have a WB616 instead of a WB68 (and the 95 satellite). I have the same exact splitters that he has. I guess, if this becomes a major problem I can try connecting the switches serially. I am guessing that I'd just use 5 outputs from the WB616?
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
houskamp said:
http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7868&d=1175900399
thats my distrubution panel (old pic).. you can see the 2 fm traps in the bottom left corner..
I have a couple of radio stations nearby (one less than 2 miles) that give me trouble.. I found out about them when I still had my older recievers and tvs.. I would get patterns on screen.. When I got the SWM I tried it with out them and the SWM kept droppping out.. Put the traps back in and it's been perfect for over a year and a half...
This is also why I suspect the "no diplexing rule" from directv..
No radio stations anywhere near me. FWIW, I used to have all of my receivers diplexed back in the 3LNB days. (On 2 Eagle Aspen 5x8 multiswitches in parallel)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,024 Posts
dinotheo said:
They are in parallel because I previously had a WB68 in parallel with the WB616 and I just swapped the SWM8 with the WB68. I also have a 95 dish on a flexport. The coax from the PI to the SWM is about 6'.

Basically my setup is very similar to Michael D'Angelo (moderator here) except that I have a WB616 instead of a WB68 (and the 95 satellite). I have the same exact splitters that he has. I guess, if this becomes a major problem I can try connecting the switches serially. I am guessing that I'd just use 5 outputs from the WB616?
If you put them in series, you will lose the 95 on the second switch in the chain. The control signal doesn't get passed through.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RobertE said:
If you put them in series, you will lose the 95 on the second switch in the chain. The control signal doesn't get passed through.
OK...happened to me again this morning. I tried changing channels on that one HR20-700 and the problem did not go away. So it must have been coincidence. I was going to try an earlier suggestion of unplugging all of the receivers and rebooting the SWM8. As soon as I unplugged the first receiver the rest started working.
Also, I upgraded the H20 with an HR20, so now I have 8 tuners off of that SWM8.
Would the following work?
Connect the SWM8 in series after the WB616. Use a splitter on the 95 feed and send that split 95 signal to both the WB616 and the SWM8?

Thanks,
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top