DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my SWM-8, Power Inserter, Splitter in the mail today.

I installed everything per the chart in the SWM-8 Wiring : Basic 4 DVR guide on solidsignal. The only difference is I have only 2 HR21s and 1 legacy rcvr (which I didn't bother with yet), I have the same splitter as in that diagram as well.

I had my HR21s powered off during the install, head back in power them up. Do the manul satellite setup, set it to the Slimline 5 dish and SWM. Wait, wait, wait....wait some more only for it to come up and say somehing like "Tuner 1 & 2 no signal 771". This happens on both my HR21s.

Did I do something wrong? Are my HR21s jacked up? Do I just need to drink more and wait for it to magically work?

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
Tell us from the dish to the IRDs, exactly how the cables run.

Please.

· Registered
8,671 Posts
Recheck the cables.. make sure your attatched to SWM1 on the SWM8..
Power up is: PI then IRDs..
also try bypassing the splitter and see if you can get one up and running..

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
Verify that you connected only a single cable to the HR21s, using the sat input marked SWM/FTM.

Can you bypass the SWM...and go directly off of the dish? This will verify that your dish is working properly.

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kansas Zephyr said:
Verify that you connected only a single cable to the HR21s, using the sat input marked SWM/FTM.
Heh, definately did this, and took off the BBC module thing.

Kansas Zephyr said:
Can you bypass the SWM...and go directly off of the dish? This will verify that your dish is working properly.
Oh, I know the dish works since the regular 6x8 multiswitch works like a champ.

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
houskamp said:
Recheck the cables.. make sure your attatched to
also try bypassing the splitter and see if you can get one up and running..
Going to try this now.

rudeney said:
My understanding is that any unused ports (either SWM-2 or any open ports on the splitters) must be terminated
Would this prevent operation of the splitter?

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
DmgInc said:
Oh, I know the dish works since the regular 6x8 multiswitch works like a champ.
You've got the SWM-8 downstream of a multi-switch? If so, try removing it and attaching the SWM-8 directly to the four cables from the dish.

That's why I asked to please state from dish to IRD the entire cable path...not just point us to an install diagram (which didn't have a 6x8 on it).

Please.

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kansas Zephyr said:
You've got the SWM-8 downstream of a multi-switch? If so, try removing it and attaching the SWM-8 directly to the four cables from the dish.

That's why I asked to please state from dish to IRD the entire cable path...not just point us to an install diagram (which didn't have a 6x8 on it).

Please.
I pointed you to that diagram because that is exactly what i did. I would have mentioned at the beginning if I was a moron w/a 6x8 in there someplace.

I removed it to try the SWM, when that didn't work...removed the SWM and put the 6x8 back on.

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
DmgInc said:
I pointed you to that diagram because that is exactly what i did. I would have mentioned at the beginning if I was a moron w/a 6x8 in their someplace.

I removed it to try the SWM, when that didn't work...removed the SWM and put the 6x8 back on.
Actually, most morons don't mention that they are indeed a moron. ;)

Terminating the unused ports is a good idea. What model splitter are you using...cable runs RG6?

Who knows? You may have a bad SWM or PI. Do you have a multimeter to check the voltage of the PI?

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kansas Zephyr said:
Actually, most morons don't mention that they are indeed a moron. ;)
Heh true that, I am surrounded by them at work.

Kansas Zephyr said:
Terminating the unused ports is a good idea. What model splitter are you using...cable runs RG6?
STS-4, and yeah RG6 throughout.

Kansas Zephyr said:
Who knows? You may have a bad SWM or PI. Do you have a multimeter to check the voltage of the PI?
No, but I can dig one up from somebody else probably.

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
If you can check the PI, that's great.

You might have a bad FTM module...I'm on my second one.

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I removed the splitter from the equation and went from the IRD out on the PI right to my one HR21, and it worked like a champ.

The STS-4 was brand new, can these really be bad right out of the box? Seems like that should be like .1% of the units, could I really have been that unlucky?

And yes, the terminator is on port #2 on the SWM unit itself.

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
DmgInc said:
Well, I removed the splitter from the equation and went from the IRD out on the PI right to my one HR21, and it worked like a champ.
Well, since you're splitting downstream of the PI, you can use any splitter rated 2MHz-2.1GHz.

I think that STS-4 is only rated down to 5MHz...the SWM "talks" to the IRD on 2.4MHz.

A SWS-4, which is what the linked diagram's image looks like, but incorrectly labeled as STS-4, is SWM approved. Can you verify the model of the splitter?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.