DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is my setup currently:

Dish 1000.2/61.5 cable running under ground about 15 ft to my cox cable junction box on the side of my house. There, the one cable ties into the one coaxial feed for my living room. This feed runs up into the attic, across the attic about 35ft and then down the wall into my living room and out the jack to a ViP722. I also have an OTA antenna in the attic which is diplexed into the ONE living room coaxial before it goes down the wall, and then diplexed out behind the tv to feed the OTA to the ViP722.

If D* came out, they'd slap a Slimline up in the general area. Would they run all the Slimline feeds over to the wall, tie them into a SWM8 and then go the same route as my dish setup, or would they run two cables into the attic and try and fish one down the wall?? This is a rental property, so getting crazy with new outlets in the wall and such is a no go.

Thanks for any input. If they wont use the SWM8, I'd prob just buy it myself and do the work myself (already have a slimline).

·
Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
I doubt you'll get a SWM from them. In your case you might run into some trouble since as far as I understand you OTA is in the attic and for the SWM to diplex it in it has to be fed into the SWM.

·
Godfather
295 Posts
I ordered a free upgrade for my HR10-250 today and got a whole bunch of bologna. Eventhough there are no local HD for norfolk DMA on D* yet I still have to get the HR21 and instead of the single wire management they are going to install a 6x8 multi switch. SO no local HD OTA viewing or recording for me!!!!(luckily I still have my trusty old voom reciever to watch OTA with) Look like I will have to do a wall drop this weekend myself. The excuse for no SWM8 was that "they didnt have any available in my area." What kind of excuse is that????? :mad: The excuse for no HR20 was that there was no where on her input screen where she could specify it........:mad:

So at the begining of the phone call I had 2 specific issues:

1. upgrade to HR20 for free because D* fails to provide HD locals to me... Failed
2. SWM to avoid another charge for a cable wall drop..... Failed.

What I got was a free HR21 and 6x8 switch. Exactly what I didnt want. Supposedly its all free. We shall see. After all of that bologna I didnt even ask about the commitment.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
vurbano said:
I ordered a free upgrade for my HR10-250 today and got a whole bunch of bologna. Eventhough there are no local HD for norfolk DMA on D* yet I still have to get the HR21 and instead of the single wire management they are going to install a 6x8 multi switch. SO no local HD OTA viewing or recording for me!!!!(luckily I still have my trusty old voom reciever to watch OTA with) Look like I will have to do a wall drop this weekend myself. The excuse for no SWM8 was that "they didnt have any available in my area." What kind of excuse is that????? :mad: The excuse for no HR20 was that there was no where on her input screen where she could specify it........:mad:
SWM8's are not being installed in residential locations, only in MDU (apartments/condos). If you want an SWM8 you need to go purchase one yourself, DAVE29 on this site sells them and there are other places you can get one.

For new installs of 5 to 8 tuners they are installing the SWMSlimline dish in limited areas:

Austin
Boston(Manchester, NH & VT)
Chicago
Dallas-Fortworth
Denver
Detroit
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Missoula, MT
Monterey-Salinas, CA
Phoenix
Reno CA, NV
Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto
San Diego
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
Santa Barbara-Santa Maria- San Luisobispo
Shreveport, AR, LA, OK, TX
Washington DC (Hagerstown) DC, MD, PA, VA
West Palm Beach - Fort Pierce

For OTA there is a trick you can use, assuming the BBC can be located inside the house/attic, it's not outdoor rated.

Even without the SWM there is a way to diplex OTA. Move the BBC back to the WB68 switch then connect a diplexer between the BBC and your ATSC tuner (HR20 or HR21/AM21), this works.

WB68--->BBC--->Diplexer------>Diplexer---->STB

You should also get D* to give you the AM21 ATSC add on for free since the HR10-250 had ATSC tuners in them and you don't have HD LIL's yet from DirecTV. It might be hard V but just be nice, most folks are able to get D* to throw them in for free.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
If you can get the SWM8 yourself.. just mount it up and they will be happy to put the dish up and connect 4 lines from dish to it..

·
Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
vurbano said:
So at the begining of the phone call I had 2 specific issues:

1. upgrade to HR20 for free because D* fails to provide HD locals to me... Failed
2. SWM to avoid another charge for a cable wall drop..... Failed.
Those are 2 things which are impossible and would always fail. You might get a CSR who promises them to you but there really isn't any way for them to live up to that promise.

Their system literally only lets them select HD-DVR and not a specific model. It's kinda strange but thats the way it is setup. If you do get a HR21 the AM21 would enable OTA reception and is normally free for people replacing an existing unit that had OTA capability like the HR10

The SWM8 is only used in MDUs and has never been used for residential. Beyond that the CSR isn't responsible for and can't put a switch on an order. It's automatically determined by the system by the number of active receivers on your account. Since you are getting a 6x8 you obviously have other receivers on the account so you may not be able to use a SWMline which is the only thing available for home installs depending on the exact models of your other receivers. The SWMline has no support for legacy receivers.

If you want a SWM8 the best option is to order it yourself.

·
Godfather
295 Posts
houskamp said:
If you can get the SWM8 yourself.. just mount it up and they will be happy to put the dish up and connect 4 lines from dish to it..
I already have a 5 lnb dish up because I have an existing HR20-100 for some time now. Thats an option though. A little sketchy on where the power source needs to be run from though.

·
Godfather
295 Posts
RAD said:
You should also get D* to give you the AM21 ATSC add on for free since the HR10-250 had ATSC tuners in them and you don't have HD LIL's yet from DirecTV. It might be hard V but just be nice, most folks are able to get D* to throw them in for free.
Thanks Rad

Thats probably the thing to do. I think I will let them install everything and then call and act real dumb and suprised that I cant watch Leno in HD. Play CSR roulette until they give me one. :lol:

·
Icon
749 Posts
vurbano said:
I already have a 5 lnb dish up because I have an existing HR20-100 for some time now. Thats an option though. A little sketchy on where the power source needs to be run from though.
Should have asked me. I could get you the SWMLNB/PI/Spliiter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.