DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The national launch of the SWMLine 5 lnb is currently set for 8/20.

Some things to keep in mind before you set your self up for dissapointment.

While the national launch is the 20th, your local warehouse may not have them in stock (at least in quanity) for a couple of weeks yet.

Your local techs may have yet to be trained on the SWM LNB.

AFAIK, the qualifers still remain the same:

NEW customers ONLY.

5 or more tuners, at least 1 must be HD. Can not subscribe to international programming, or be in a 72.5 market (yet)

Must have D12, R16, H20, HR20 or newer receivers.

Limit of 8 tuners per LNB.

For those wanting to swap out LNBs, I feel for ya. But those are DirecTv's rules. A CSR putting notes about getting a SWM will do NOTHING for you. Any verbal confirmation, while it might give you a warm fuzzy feeling deep in side, dosen't hold any value either. All that will mater is what the computer puts on the workorder as a line item. These things are inventory controlled, so it has to be a line item.

Or you can just buy one yourself and save yourself a lot of dissapointment.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
RobertE said:
For those wanting to swap out LNBs, I feel for ya. But those are DirecTv's rules. A CSR putting notes about getting a SWM will do NOTHING for you. Any verbal confirmation, while it might give you a warm fuzzy feeling deep in side, dosen't hold any value either. All that will mater is what the computer puts on the workorder as a line item. These things are inventory controlled, so it has to be a line item.

Or you can just buy one yourself and save yourself a lot of dissapointment.
Can you make this bold, glowing red. :lol:

· Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
And yet I'm sure we'll still get people complaining they didn't get the SWM promised. It will be nice when these are more common and are the standard LNB for most installs. I expect at some point they will be standard for any install that has a DVR at all unless they can't be used for some reason.

· AllStar
73 Posts
The word down the line is that sometime in october ALL new HD customers ( without 72.5 or international or more than 8 tuners ) will be getting swm.

Could be wrong but thats whats been said by Dtv to our warehouse ordering people.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
RobertE said:
Yes I can :)
NICE :hurah:

Any word on getting new splitters more like the cable ones. The current ones are neat but are really for attics or crawl spaces. Not so good for concealing against a wall in an apartment.

· Registered
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mertzen said:
NICE :hurah:

Any word on getting new splitters more like the cable ones. The current ones are neat but are really for attics or crawl spaces. Not so good for concealing against a wall in an apartment.
Nope, I don't care for the port layout on the current ones either. Nice indoors, outside, not so much.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
RobertE said:
Nope, I don't care for the port layout on the current ones either. Nice indoors, outside, not so much.
GRRR. I wish the people from the design dept. drove with me for a week on routes and see what techs really need.

· Registered
14,213 Posts
Thanks for the info Robert!

I think it's great the SWMLine 5 is going to out widely, it will make installation of DIRECTV that much more appealing to the uninitiated when they find out there's really not much fuss involved and the home's existing RG6 wiring can be used.

The only thing I'm really interested in seeing is how DIRECTV will react when two years from now a customer maxed out with 8 tuners and the SWMLine 5 wants to add yet two more tuners ... Will DIRECTV make the customer pay to swap out the SWMLine with a traditional dish and multiswitch, whcih woud also require new runs, or will there be some new expansion device in two years? Ahh ... the future is interesting. :)

· Hall Of Fame
3,914 Posts
RobertE said:
The national launch of the SWMLine 5 lnb is currently set for 8/20.

Some things to keep in mind before you set your self up for dissapointment.

5 or more tuners, at least 1 must be HD. Can not subscribe to international programming, or be in a 72.5 market (yet)

[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
When you save 5 or more tuners, if you get 2 HR22's and 1 H23, would you then receive a SWMline 5 lnb?

· Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
Drew2k said:
Thanks for the info Robert!

I think it's great the SWMLine 5 is going to out widely, it will make installation of DIRECTV that much more appealing to the uninitiated when they find out there's really not much fuss involved and the home's existing RG6 wiring can be used.

The only thing I'm really interested in seeing is how DIRECTV will react when two years from now a customer maxed out with 8 tuners and the SWMLine 5 wants to add yet two more tuners ... Will DIRECTV make the customer pay to swap out the SWMLine with a traditional dish and multiswitch, whcih woud also require new runs, or will there be some new expansion device in two years? Ahh ... the future is interesting. :)
Since a SWMlnb is only passing 8 transponders out of a much larger total number of transponders I don't see how it would ever be possible to create a device that expands that number further. No matter what a device after it does it will never be able to get more than 8 transponders. No it might get lucky and have 2 tuners on channels that are on the same transponder but you have to plan for worst case scenario not best.

I imagine what will eventually happen in those cases is a standard LNB and 1 or more swm8's will be used or a second dish will be installed but thats just my guess. We could see something like a swm12 in the future too but that would be a new lnb or a swm8 like device not something that plugs into a swmlnb.

· Registered
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RACJ2 said:
When you save 5 or more tuners, if you get 2 HR22's and 1 H23, would you then receive a SWMline 5 lnb?
Yes, that would meet the 5 or more tuners requirement.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
Sixto said:
Press release somewhere said the technology could support 12 tuners, but DirecTV was only using 8. Wasn't clear whether the hardware supports 12 or not ...
Technically DirecTV is actually using nine channels, because one of them is common data like the guide. So it might be possible with the current base technology to have an SWM-11; this was mentioned way back when the specs for SWM first came out (I have a list of the channel frequencies and there are twelve of them, but for some reason DirecTV decided not to go to an SWM11).

· Registered
5,874 Posts
texasbrit said:
Technically DirecTV is actually using nine channels, because one of them is common data like the guide. So it might be possible with the current base technology to have an SWM-11; this was mentioned way back when the specs for SWM first came out (I have a list of the channel frequencies and there are twelve of them, but for some reason DirecTV decided not to go to an SWM11).
maybe....
8 swm channels
1 communication channel
3 legacy channels

=12

· Godfather
452 Posts
RobertE said:
NEW customers ONLY.

Must have D12, R16, H20, HR20 or newer receivers.
Good:
Just got a fed-ex trailer full or Slimline 3's, SWM switchs, SWMLNBs, and all the other good stuff at our warehouse in Chattanooga Friday.

Bad:
72.5 Market. Also got a shipment of D11 refurbs to go with them.... :nono2:

· Registered
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Johnnie5000 said:
Good:
Just got a fed-ex trailer full or Slimline 3's, SWM switchs, SWMLNBs, and all the other good stuff at our warehouse in Chattanooga Friday.

Bad:
72.5 Market. Also got a shipment of D11 refurbs to go with them.... :nono2:
Classic. Nothing like shipping you a bunch of stuff you can't use. :lol:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.