DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Legend
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until a few days ago, I couldn't spell SWM, so I hope my questions make sense. If not please set me straight. I'm trying to figure out my hardware plan before I order D*so that it doesn't turn into a "do-over".

I have 4 lines coming from my dish location (70' buried in conduit) and one wire out to each TV location. I think I want 2 HD DVR receivers and 1 HD receiver (5 tuners, right?). I could probably get a second RG6 line to one DVR location but not the other. I believe this makes me a good candidate for a SWM setup.

The SWMLine sounds like a great solution. I read the SWMLine FAQ's and it sounds like the SWMLine is having some growing pains. I think I'm in a market that has the SWMLine available (DC), but I'm wondering if I should go the regular SWM route for reliability. Is this a valid concern?

If I go with a SWM, what's the max distance it can be from the dish? I understand the PI needs to be 15' min from the SWM.

Will the installer provide a SWM if it's needed?

Anyone know the local DC installer phone number so I can call them and see if they are even supporting SWMLine?

Thanks for the help. JF
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,682 Posts
If you are a current customer you're very unlikely to receive SWM technology.

Remember that over here you'll hear a lot of people complain so the 'growing pains' might be a skewed picture

You should be OK with those 70" to the dish and if the PI needs to be close to the SWM switch he can put in extra wire.
But SWM switches are rarely used for residential customers. If anything you'll get a SWMline.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
749 Posts
JoeF said:
Up until a few days ago, I couldn't spell SWM, so I hope my questions make sense. If not please set me straight. I'm trying to figure out my hardware plan before I order D*so that it doesn't turn into a "do-over".

I have 4 lines coming from my dish location (70' buried in conduit) and one wire out to each TV location. I think I want 2 HD DVR receivers and 1 HD receiver (5 tuners, right?). I could probably get a second RG6 line to one DVR location but not the other. I believe this makes me a good candidate for a SWM setup.

The SWMLine sounds like a great solution. I read the SWMLine FAQ's and it sounds like the SWMLine is having some growing pains. I think I'm in a market that has the SWMLine available (DC), but I'm wondering if I should go the regular SWM route for reliability. Is this a valid concern?

If I go with a SWM, what's the max distance it can be from the dish? I understand the PI needs to be 15' min from the SWM.

Will the installer provide a SWM if it's needed?

Anyone know the local DC installer phone number so I can call them and see if they are even supporting SWMLine?

Thanks for the help. JF
Yup SWMLNB are in use for your market. Do you live in DC or sub?
 

· Legend
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd be a new customer.

If I do get a SWMline, how many times can it be split? The SWMline review shows a 1x4 splitter, can it be split further?

The reason I ask, is that I'd like to have the #3 receiver service 2 infrequently used TV's. Doable?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,489 Posts
JoeF said:
I'd be a new customer.

If I do get a SWMline, how many times can it be split? The SWMline review shows a 1x4 splitter, can it be split further?

The reason I ask, is that I'd like to have the #3 receiver service 2 infrequently used TV's. Doable?
It can "drive" up to 8 tuners (DVR = 2 tuners), and split as needed.

So, if you are asking if you can move an IRD between two locations within the home, with existing single cable runs, then yes. But you should place a barrel connector with a 75ohm terminator on the unused cable end(s) that are connected to the SWM.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kansas Zephyr said:
It can "drive" up to 8 tuners (DVR = 2 tuners), and split as needed.

So, if you are asking if you can move an IRD between two locations within the home, with existing single cable runs, then yes. But you should place a barrel connector with a 75ohm terminator on the unused cable end(s) that are connected to the SWM.
Actually, the way I was thinking of doing it was to split the signal coming out of the receiver and feed the each of the two locations. I'd control the receiver with Rf remotes.

So essentially I'd have: SWMLine feeding a 4 way splitter. 2 outputs going to HD DVRs and one going to an HD receiver. The signal coming out of the HD receiver would be split and feed two TV's.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,489 Posts
JoeF said:
Actually, the way I was thinking of doing it was to split the signal coming out of the receiver and feed the each of the two locations. I'd control the receiver with Rf remotes.

So essentially I'd have: SWMLine feeding a 4 way splitter. 2 outputs going to HD DVRs and one going to an HD receiver. The signal coming out of the HD receiver would be split and feed two TV's.
If you have 3 IRDs, then I'd use a 3-way splitter, not 4.

I don't think you can "split" the HD output. I believe that either the HDMI or component outputs are "hot", not both. Anybody else want to address that?
 

· Éminence grise
Joined
·
8,457 Posts
Kansas Zephyr said:
If you have 3 IRDs, then I'd use a 3-way splitter, not 4.

I don't think you can "split" the HD output. I believe that either the HDMI or component outputs are "hot", not both. Anybody else want to address that?
I believe the only "approved" splitters are the SWS-2, SWS-4 and SWS-8. A 3-way splitter may work, but you are on your own.

The current receiver models have all outputs active simultaneously.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,682 Posts
JoeF said:
The signal coming out of the HD receiver would be split and feed two TV's.
Also keep in mind that the HD boxes don't have coax outputs. So if you are running it to a SD set you'll have to get either long RCAs or RF modulator.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
41,526 Posts
Kansas Zephyr said:
If you have 3 IRDs, then I'd use a 3-way splitter, not 4.

I don't think you can "split" the HD output. I believe that either the HDMI or component outputs are "hot", not both. Anybody else want to address that?
As posted both component & HDMI are active, along with the S-video & composite.
A 4-way splitter with a 75 ohm termination would be the same as a 3-way [since the 3-way outputs aren't equal].
 

· Legend
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mertzen said:
Also keep in mind that the HD boxes don't have coax outputs. So if you are running it to a SD set you'll have to get either long RCAs or RF modulator.
Thanks. You guys are preventing a lot of "surprises".

I am, in fact, sending the signal to two SD sets. So it seems I can either a) go with the HD set to retain the UHF remote capability. Use an Rf modulator and then split the signal OR b) use a SD receiver so that I can use coax and then figure out how to control it with two independant remotes.

Any recomendations?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,682 Posts
I'd go with A. I did that for a customer two weeks ago and he was happy. PQ was decent too. Do remember that the output will be 'widescreen' so it will look funky sometimes on an SD set especially with pillar boxed HD.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
41,526 Posts
Mertzen said:
I'd go with A. I did that for a customer two weeks ago and he was happy. PQ was decent too. Do remember that the output will be 'widescreen' so it will look funky sometimes on an SD set especially with pillar boxed HD.
I think some of this can be overcome with the 4:3 TV setting, even though it's connected to a 16:9 TV for the main output. This will "lock" the 4:3 SD, but allow HD format changes, where stretch removes the letterbox on the 16:9 TV and crop should remove the pillarbars on a broadcast HD program for the SD TV.
SD format on the 16:9 TV can be done by the TV.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
veryoldschool said:
I think some of this can be overcome with the 4:3 TV setting, even though it's connected to a 16:9 TV for the main output. This will "lock" the 4:3 SD, but allow HD format changes, where stretch removes the letterbox on the 16:9 TV and crop should remove the pillarbars on a broadcast HD program for the SD TV.
SD format on the 16:9 TV can be done by the TV.
Both TV's serviced by this receiver will be SD 4:3 "tube" boxes.

VOS, if I understand what you're saying, I can set the output on the receiver to 4:3 and I will get "normal" viewing on these sets.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
41,526 Posts
JoeF said:
Both TV's serviced by this receiver will be SD 4:3 "tube" boxes.

VOS, if I understand what you're saying, I can set the output on the receiver to 4:3 and I will get "normal" viewing on these sets.
If both sets connected are 4:3, then it's very simple. The setup menu has a 4:3 and a 16:9 TV setting.
In this case there is no reason to use 16:9, as they're both 4:3.
What the format button [function] will do is change the format for HD channels, so the wide screen program can be displayed on your 4:3 set. The options are: letterbox, for the full image; crop, for trimming the edges off; stretch, which will make people taller.

Once you move to a 16:9 TV, then both the TV and the box have settings for format and there are several ways that they can either work together, or against each other. Settings that, at first, wouldn't makes sense, can actually do things that are just what you want.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top