DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Icon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching Harry Potter on Syfy channel. Now they show an annoying add in the upper right corner of the picture. Its bad enough to deal with the channel logo all the time no got more junk blocking the picture.

Television Television set Gadget Output device Display device
Television Television set Gadget Output device Display device

·
Icon
3,347 Posts
I wonder if thats the network adding that.

Don't remember which channel but the other day there was an annoying jurassic park logo on the corner of the screen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Icon
3,347 Posts
I see the same thing on USA 242. So its gotta be NBC Universal adding that corner advertising

·
Icon
3,347 Posts
Its also on bravo 237. So again gotta be NBC Universal adding that corner advert

·
Super Moderator
53,574 Posts
I tend to ignore such banners ... to the point that I sometimes miss the joke when a banner is actually part of the show. "Holey Moley" season 4 had an episode where they were using a bottom left banner to promote a fake TV show coming to ABC ... and eventually "never on ABC" as the "plot" of launching the show changed. It helps that closed captioning usually covers up the bottom of the screen stuff. Perhaps that is why NBCU is going for the top corner where "junk" isn't expected.

·
Premium Member
11,305 Posts
Get used to it, there is more of this coming all the time. I can't remember what channel it was, but I remember watching something a few months ago where after every commercial break for the first 10 seconds or so there was a promo that took up the bottom third of the screen or so. It was one of those movies where they have people occasionally speaking in other languages (Russian or Chinese or something) and they show "subtitles" for the translation. Except when it was blocked by the annoying promo :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
53,574 Posts
I watched one show where they spoke "foreign language" for a few minutes with open captions then switched to English. Closed captions covered up the open caption with the text "speaking foreign language". <sigh>
I had to turn off captioning, rewind and watch again then reactivate captioning.

·
Godfather
575 Posts
Watching Harry Potter on Syfy channel. Now they show an annoying add in the upper right corner of the picture. Its bad enough to deal with the channel logo all the time no got more junk blocking the picture.

View attachment 32237 View attachment 32237
We were watching SyFy as well on Verizon Fios saw the same banner. I try not to watch anything I really like on SyFy. Too aggravating. If I’m really into a movie I’ll buy or rent it. If I just want to have the tv on I’ll tune to SyFy if it has something I’d like in the background.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,892 Posts
All this then begs the question, "What are we paying for?"
Doesn't the payment to DISH, or whoever, cover the cost of advertising? Evidently not. That says we pay for delivery and recording capability (if used) only. TV is getting terrible with ads. I watch some very British shows where I have to turn on CC to understand everything and sometimes the CC is covered by bottom ads. Annoying.

·
Legend
397 Posts
All this then begs the question, "What are we paying for?"
Doesn't the payment to DISH, or whoever, cover the cost of advertising? Evidently not. That says we pay for delivery and recording capability (if used) only. TV is getting terrible with ads. I watch some very British shows where I have to turn on CC to understand everything and sometimes the CC is covered by bottom ads. Annoying.
It only gets worse every year...I can watch my local news that is owned by ABC and they find time to tell me about some Dancing with the starts BS!.....What does that have to do with news...Just a cheap advertisement they slip in!

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
It only gets worse every year...I can watch my local news that is owned by ABC and they find time to tell me about some Dancing with the starts BS!.....What does that have to do with news...Just a cheap advertisement they slip in!
Before long your screen will look like a NASCAR vehicle.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
434 Posts
Consumers are receiving less and less and giving up more and more
Want some new software? Click on a acceptance block that links to 25 pages of contracts and agreements.
Need a Dr? Fill out a 6-8 page form in the office with everything but the name of your dog!
Need food? Packages have been "downsized" and the price same or higher. Or not available at all!

How about a "consumers contract". If store or Dr want's your business, THEY have to sign an agreement that says among other things, "the customer is always right", and they agree to keep food and services available, or give me a discount, like the airlines do with over booking. After all, they are working for us, right?
It's all because of LAWYERS!

·
Icon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today I checked the SyFY channel and there was no annoying ad in the corner.

Reactions: dtv757

·
Icon
3,347 Posts
I expect viacom to do similar since BET awars or other awards shows that they simulcast on all their networks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts