DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,725 Posts
I tend to ignore such banners ... to the point that I sometimes miss the joke when a banner is actually part of the show. "Holey Moley" season 4 had an episode where they were using a bottom left banner to promote a fake TV show coming to ABC ... and eventually "never on ABC" as the "plot" of launching the show changed. It helps that closed captioning usually covers up the bottom of the screen stuff. Perhaps that is why NBCU is going for the top corner where "junk" isn't expected.

·
Super Moderator
53,725 Posts
I watched one show where they spoke "foreign language" for a few minutes with open captions then switched to English. Closed captions covered up the open caption with the text "speaking foreign language". <sigh>
I had to turn off captioning, rewind and watch again then reactivate captioning.

·
Super Moderator
53,725 Posts
All this then begs the question, "What are we paying for?"
I'm paying for the content between the commercials. The commercials, bugs and overlays are free.

The commercials allow you to pay 40c per month for the channel and its content instead of more. It also helps that tens of millions of other subscribers are paying their 40c per month for that channel - whether they watch it or not.

The PBS tag line "paid for by viewers like you" applies to commercial cable TV channels as well except the "viewers like you" are defined as people who have to pay for a bundle of channels that they do not want to get some content that they do want. That also applies to streaming services. Access to tens or hundreds of thousands of titles or episodes. Gonna watch them all? Not me.

·
Super Moderator
53,725 Posts
A few years ago I replaced my aging HDTV with a new 4K model. It took a while to get used to the "new look". I am not sure if it is what is being described as "soap opera" - but all content every channel seemed to look more like a live camera feed with no softening of the image like one would see on a 35MM film presentation. I would have called it "soap opera". I made some adjustments to the set but eventually adjusted.

Compressed time playback has been occurring for decades. It started on movies but it has expanded to TV shows. Shave a couple of minutes and sell a few more commercials.I certainly want better but I don't expect better from the cheap cable channels such as SyFy.

·
Super Moderator
53,725 Posts
I have been seeing a Minion icon lower left on NBC broadcast for the past few days. An area of the screen I usually ignore but I see it occasionally.

Reactions: dtv757

·
Super Moderator
53,725 Posts
Shrinking credits is something broadcast and cable channels have been doing for decades ... along with speeding up the credits and removing them entirely. On a linear channel the shrinkage cannot be undone - it is part of the video feed where the channel splits the screen to promote the next movie or upcoming shows. On some channels they would start the next program during the overlap. The style was eventually adopted by streamers.

I don't see it on "PPV" content where one has paid specifically to view that movie, but I do see it on channels and streamers where one pays a flat monthly fee for all the content they can consume. The lower the fee for the channel or service the more likely that one will not be able to see every frame of the content without interruption.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts