DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
AllStar
1,413 Posts
I quit watching SyFy when they started using motion interpolation on their HD showings of The Twilight Zone, such that they all suffer from "soap opera effect."
I do believe there were at least a few episodes of The Twilight Zone actually shot on videotape rather than film, and those episodes do look like a soap opera when you see them in their original renditions.

(If I recall correctly, one of those videotaped episodes took place at an airport.)

·
AllStar
1,413 Posts
I definitely agree that SyFy speeds up the playback of Twilight Zone, no question.

However, I don't believe it has very much to do with "motion interpolation." It's simply sped way up (for example, 24fps sped up to a minimum of 30 fps) to save time.

Some filmed scenes may almost look like a soap opera, but on my set only the videotaped episodes actually do. At least for me I'm still perceiving a detectable amount of "judder" on the sped-up filmed episodes.

I would also add that I personally prefer "sped-up" content for time purposes than entirely lopped-off scenes. (Both are done to excess in the syndicated cable realm).

Furthermore, I do believe that the Twilight Zone is available on BD and streaming in remastered 1080p (most likely the best way to see it).

I'm not sure if those versions "preserve" the soap opera effect for the videotaped episodes (which I would prefer for those since they were shot that way).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts