DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,895 Posts
All this then begs the question, "What are we paying for?"
I'm paying for the content between the commercials. The commercials, bugs and overlays are free.

The commercials allow you to pay 40c per month for the channel and its content instead of more. It also helps that tens of millions of other subscribers are paying their 40c per month for that channel - whether they watch it or not.

The PBS tag line "paid for by viewers like you" applies to commercial cable TV channels as well except the "viewers like you" are defined as people who have to pay for a bundle of channels that they do not want to get some content that they do want. That also applies to streaming services. Access to tens or hundreds of thousands of titles or episodes. Gonna watch them all? Not me.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I quit watching SyFy channel a long time ago because of on-screen graphics. If they have a show worth watching, which is rare, I wait until it is available on a streaming service, where I can watch a nice clean video, free of annoyances. Same for shows on the broadcast TV networks. I watch them on streaming services, uninterrupted and free of graphics overlays.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I quit watching SyFy channel a long time ago because of on-screen graphics. If they have a show worth watching, which is rare, I wait until it is available on a streaming service, where I can watch a nice clean video, free of annoyances. Same for shows on the broadcast TV networks. I watch them on streaming services, uninterrupted and free of graphics overlays.
What annoys me, on ANY channel is after the movie is over and I want to see the credits, music, etc., for the film, and they push it out to show previews for their upcoming programs or current programming. Very, VERY disturbing.

·
8 Posts
What annoys me, on ANY channel is after the movie is over and I want to see the credits, music, etc., for the film, and they push it out to show previews for their upcoming programs or current programming. Very, VERY disturbing.
This is especially annoying when you are one of the people mentioned in the credits, and no one sees it. I have consulted on programs where my only "payment" is being mentioned as a thanks in the credits. Syfy is among the worst of these, making the size so small, there is not enough resolution to even see the graphics. And the speed it up so fast, it would be unreadable anyway even if larger. Im surprised that the studios let them get away with it.

But on the other hand, as they add more and more commercial breaks, they need to remove content, and Id rather they remove the credits than actual show content, which they do anyway.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
460 Posts
This is a frustrating practice that has spread to almost every type of delivery platform. Even streaming services now employ this, though you can usually restore the credits to full-screen by grabbing the remote and doing some gymnastics, as the "shrinking" is done in the device that's being used for viewing. Why there isn't an option to defeat this is beyond me. How hard could that be to implement?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,456 Posts
Why there isn't an option to defeat this is beyond me. How hard could that be to implement?
Because the streaming service doesn't want you give you that option. The provide the content and they provide the app that you use to watch it.

I can live with two button presses but it may be more "gymnastic" on other platforms (I'm thinking that Apple TV sometimes makes operations more obtuse due to their jones for gestures). The other option is to not have readable credits and possibly missing some late video content (i.e. gag reels).

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,456 Posts
I quit watching SyFy when they started using motion interpolation on their HD showings of The Twilight Zone, such that they all suffer from "soap opera effect."
This is the first real complaint about SyFy that I've seen in this thread. That said, The Twilight Zone was always pretty contrasty.

·
AllStar
1,413 Posts
I quit watching SyFy when they started using motion interpolation on their HD showings of The Twilight Zone, such that they all suffer from "soap opera effect."
I do believe there were at least a few episodes of The Twilight Zone actually shot on videotape rather than film, and those episodes do look like a soap opera when you see them in their original renditions.

(If I recall correctly, one of those videotaped episodes took place at an airport.)

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I do believe there were at least a few episodes of The Twilight Zone actually shot on videotape rather than film, and those episodes do look like a soap opera when you see them in their original renditions.

(If I recall correctly, one of those videotaped episodes took place at an airport.)
Because of budgetary constraints in season two CBS decided (against Rod Serling's wishes) to cut costs and shoot some episodes on videotape. Six episodes ("Twenty Two"..."Static"..."The Whole Truth"..."The Lateness of the Hour"..."The Night of the Meek"..."Long Distance Call") were shot on videotape. Episode "Twenty Two" had scenes that took place at an airport.

·
Godfather
570 Posts
I am aware of the videotaped episodes, but SyFy uses motion interpolation to smooth video (resulting in “soap opera effect”) on episodes that originated on film; it looks horrible, like if you turn on all the motion smoothing options on a newer TV.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,456 Posts
I am aware of the videotaped episodes, but SyFy uses motion interpolation to smooth video (resulting in “soap opera effect”) on episodes that originated on film; it looks horrible, like if you turn on all the motion smoothing options on a newer TV.
While you're certain that's you've put your finger on the problem, I'm here to tell you that's largely the way some of the episodes looked back in the day.

·
AllStar
1,413 Posts
I definitely agree that SyFy speeds up the playback of Twilight Zone, no question.

However, I don't believe it has very much to do with "motion interpolation." It's simply sped way up (for example, 24fps sped up to a minimum of 30 fps) to save time.

Some filmed scenes may almost look like a soap opera, but on my set only the videotaped episodes actually do. At least for me I'm still perceiving a detectable amount of "judder" on the sped-up filmed episodes.

I would also add that I personally prefer "sped-up" content for time purposes than entirely lopped-off scenes. (Both are done to excess in the syndicated cable realm).

Furthermore, I do believe that the Twilight Zone is available on BD and streaming in remastered 1080p (most likely the best way to see it).

I'm not sure if those versions "preserve" the soap opera effect for the videotaped episodes (which I would prefer for those since they were shot that way).

·
Super Moderator
53,895 Posts
A few years ago I replaced my aging HDTV with a new 4K model. It took a while to get used to the "new look". I am not sure if it is what is being described as "soap opera" - but all content every channel seemed to look more like a live camera feed with no softening of the image like one would see on a 35MM film presentation. I would have called it "soap opera". I made some adjustments to the set but eventually adjusted.

Compressed time playback has been occurring for decades. It started on movies but it has expanded to TV shows. Shave a couple of minutes and sell a few more commercials.I certainly want better but I don't expect better from the cheap cable channels such as SyFy.

·
Icon
3,508 Posts
Now there's a Minnion icon in the upper right corner .

I would perfer a smaller translucent minnion movie in theater s now text.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
53,895 Posts
I have been seeing a Minion icon lower left on NBC broadcast for the past few days. An area of the screen I usually ignore but I see it occasionally.

·
Icon
2,147 Posts
So on the topic. We all love our DVRs and these advertising bugs are a direct result of us fast forwarding past commercials. Networks and advertisers needed to find a way to advertise to use while we are actually WATCHING. So you saw an increase in advertising bugs, in product placement and other forced methods of advertising other than ad breaks. The more recent example is these 15 second spots in half your screen during sporting events, in between pitches, between plays of football game and so forth. Can't FF past those, might miss something. So that's the price we pay for skipping ads. I can deal with it. The worst ones though are the ones that take up a 1/3 of your screen (toward the bottom) that are animated and completely distracting. I don't mind the little bugs like what's shown in this thread, but those big ones are horrible. Oh, and one more advertising trick they use now during sporting events. On the field super imposed ads. I see it on the pitchers mound during baseball and on the glass during hockey. Again, I'm so used to it I don't even notice it enough to bug me, but they are there.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Best bet is to not watch SyFy channel at all. If they have a show you want to see, wait and watch it on a streaming service. I've heard good things about "Resident Alien", but I would never consider watching it on SyFy. I will probably watch it on Peacock at some point, where I can watch it free of ads and on-screen graphics.

·
Icon
3,508 Posts
Streaming, why does everyone bring up streaming.. not everyone can do streaming stuff .

Beyond sports there's a reason most of us still have DirecTV!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Streaming, why does everyone bring up streaming.. not everyone can do streaming stuff .

Beyond sports there's a reason most of us still have DirecTV!
Because streaming is the future. Most people do not have the issues that you have. I think you have said you have Cox Cable...are there zero other options you have for internet service that works? Not one other place in your location?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts