DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like we will be maing from D* to E*!

Two questions about the Tailgater:

1. What has been the reliability so far? I read one lengthy post on an RV forum that didn't give me a warm-fuzzy about a DOA (new out of box) failure. Took two weeks to get a replacement or a repair. He was NOT a happy camper.

2. Possible security solution: We travel in a trailer with a pickup that has a fiberglass shell on the bed. Would connecting it inside the shell create a problem for reception?
I know they use fiberglass for radomes on radar and I am thinking it would be fine for a satellite dish. That would eliminate the tree problem to a great extent and probably just about eliminate 'casual' theft,

·
Godfather
499 Posts
Al Fischer said:
Looks like we will be maing from D* to E*!

Two questions about the Tailgater:

1. What has been the reliability so far? I read one lengthy post on an RV forum that didn't give me a warm-fuzzy about a DOA (new out of box) failure. Took two weeks to get a replacement or a repair. He was NOT a happy camper.

2. Possible security solution: We travel in a trailer with a pickup that has a fiberglass shell on the bed. Would connecting it inside the shell create a problem for reception?
I know they use fiberglass for radomes on radar and I am thinking it would be fine for a satellite dish. That would eliminate the tree problem to a great extent and probably just about eliminate 'casual' theft,
I've sold a dozen or so Tailgaters without any reported problems. Mine continues to work perfectly. If by "tree problem" you mean line-of-sight, not sure how placing the unit in the bed of your truck helps with that. One of the great advantages of using a portable unit like this is the ability to place it pretty much anywhere you need to get line-of-site.

Good question on the fiberglass shell tho. I might check that out just for grins.

For security, You can purchase or maybe fabricate a ladder mount for the tailgater. A customer of mine fabricated a steel plate that mounts to the bottom with a hole in it allowing him to chain and padlock it to a picnic table or what ever.

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. By placing the Tailgater in the bed of the pickup, I could park it so as to pick up the needed 'clear line of sight'. Many times the RV parking spot (especially in an RV Park) will have trees shading the dish and the truck sits in front. (facing south and in full sun) I'm not sure what the max coax length is, but 50 - 100 feet should allow for reception in most places.

2. The Tailgater does look to be pretty reliable as I've only seen one post with somebody grousing. and that's pretty good! Hearing so from someone in the business that isn't acually trying to sell me one is great!

My concern is any device like this with the critical alignment isssues for multiple satellites must have a pretty well built servo mechanism as well as some decent electronics beside the LNB. Todays electronics all suffer from lead-free solder problems. which is seen as 'tin-whiskers' and cracking due to mechanical stress. (subject for another lengthy forum and many rants)

The vibration and jostling that all stuff gets while travelling and especially if mounted on and RV can be hard on anything sensitive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.