DBSTalk Forum banner

SWiM TAP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried, or heard of someone putting a TAP onto the host line of the SWiM splitter? I would surmise that, since both Dish and Direct run at the same frequency, you could take a TAP ( more likely a HUB designated TAP) from Dish Network to allow a 3 cable run. Any thoughts? It would save me having to get a 4 way splitter, and allow for a closer cable connection to a video bridge.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
My understanding is that TAPs are directional and that's generally not a good thing in a peer-to-peer architecture. How do you see a TAP being preferable over a two-way splitter?

· Registered
11,428 Posts
There are taps made that are sold as compatible with Directv, for the commercial market, but they are intended for trunk lines not SWM. They are unlikely to work for DECA which needs bidirectional communication. While taps aren't truly directional, they are close enough.

I can't believe anyone started to thread hoping to save $5 on a 4 way splitter...

· Registered
23 Posts
Solidsignal has the items you would need to add more than a single SWM LNB can support.
Splitters are not just a splitter any more. They have support all the levels of bandwidth and I forget the word. To provide the lightest level of compression available the DTV signal is shared in the same spectrum with itself. One signal is clockwise the other counterclockwise allowing the bandwidth used two channels in one. One not interfering with the other.
Dish is distributed via different satellites than DTV. Pointing at the three for DTV will not allow you to see dish. Download an app to your phone like satellite finder or something similar. The number of satellites you can see amazes me. So far they haven't ran into each other. But there are a few that needed some extra attention.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
Solidsignal has the items you would need to add more than a single SWM LNB can support.
As do many other online and brick and mortar sources.
One signal is clockwise the other counterclockwise allowing the bandwidth used two channels in one.
It is imperative not to confuse the issue of what goes on between the satellites and the dish with what goes on downstream of the dish.

This thread appears to represent an attempt at reducing signal loss and it is based on two false premises: That taps are somehow significantly less lossy than splitters and that signal loss is likely to be a problem in a four-box setup. I'd imagine that a solution with three two-way green label splitters would be pretty close to ideal though I doubt it would be necessary unless the cable lengths were unreasonable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts