DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe its been asked already but was there any dates discussed for the new equipment.
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are the differences between a 522 and a 721? Are they due out at the same time?

· Banned
6,970 Posts
Dont expect the 522 out untill this time next year.

The 522 is a 501 with two tuners and two TV outouts they share the same Hard Drive. This way a show you recorded in your living room you can watch in your bedroom.

Its a neat idea, sort of based off of MOXI, its a cool start.

· Legend/Supporter
262 Posts
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
Dont expect the 522 out untill this time next year.

The 522 is a 501 with two tuners and two TV outouts they share the same Hard Drive. This way a show you recorded in your living room you can watch in your bedroom.

Its a neat idea, sort of based off of MOXI, its a cool start.
so...given the above...what is considered "higher-end" equipment, the 522 or the 721?
My guess is that it is not that simple. 721 has ethernet, 522 not?
522 dual output, 721 not?
Maybe 522 will be D*/E*-ready?

with just this little info, and timeframes aside, it would seem that it could be a tough decision between these two units. Isn't the product line getting a little clouded here?

· Godfather
258 Posts
My understanding is that the 721 will also have a web browser and e-mail capability, kind of like WebTV but with the ability to connect via broadband. I doubt that it will allow sharing of recorded programs over the internet the way the Sonicblue unit does. The 522 should have the same functionality (two tuners, two RF outputs) without the internet stuff. Personally my family wouldn't put up with me web surfing from the TV but the two tuner PVR would be nice. Sounds like it will be the 522 for me! :)

· Hall Of Fame
1,660 Posts
Just a guess on my part, by the time the 522 is released I suspect that the new 508 will replace the 501 as the base pvr and the new 522 will be the middle level pvr and the 721 the top of the line of DISH SD pvr's. I kind of think it may be a 522 in my future too.:)

· AllStar
92 Posts
I think they should incorporate the features of both the 522 and the 721 and put the features mentioned on both receivers rather than one have one or two things and then lacking the rest. i.e. ethernet, dual output ports.
I'd rather buy one that has all the features than to have the need to keep updating receivers all the time.

Dish needs to seriously consider the memory features on all receivers when they build them like the 3800/3900 and the 4700/4900 versions. And then build them with the memory for future expansion. They are no fun at all when the receiver limits are maxed out and then has serious limitations such as these two receivers.

They need to build them like they want or expect everyone to carry the Americas Everything pack. and foreign language packages then when a subscriber does subscribe to everything then the receivers will handle the load handily.

· Hall Of Fame
1,530 Posts
Originally posted by snagel
Dish needs to seriously consider the memory features on all receivers when they build them like the 3800/3900 and the 4700/4900 versions. And then build them with the memory for future expansion. They are no fun at all when the receiver limits are maxed out and then has serious limitations such as these two receivers.
I'd like to see new receivers designed with an easily-expandable memory option such as flash memory that's commonly available. One thing that seems to be true in the world of electronics is that we keep thinking up new features/capabilities that designers didn't even consider or know about a couple years ago. An easy expansion capability would allow those who want or need more memory to get it.

· Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
Does the 522 have 2 remotes? Can both outputs be viewed indepently? If not, this is not a feature as that can be done now with the 501, all you have to do is run some coax to the other TV and you are set.

I went one step further. I take an A/V output of my Home Theater and run it into a frequency agile modulator set for channel 110, run the coax upstairs to my other TV, then whatever source I have my HT set to, I can watch upstairs. If I set it for my 501 or 6000 I can control them from upstairs with the UHF remote. It's pretty cool.

It's also setup so someone can watch one receiver downstairs and someone else can watch the other one upstairs. The only disadvantage in this now is that my HT becomes a signal router for upstairs and I lose surround sound downstairs and am stuck with just the TV sound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.