DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Large Member
Joined
·
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting story ..... Just had a dish relocated from an upper roof to a lower roof this morning. From what I understood they usually leave the bracket on the roof. Evidently this guy did not, he took it all.

So I go up into my "walk-in" attic about an hr ago (2PM) and I see 6 bright "streams" of sunlight coming through the interior plywood in the attic roof.

On top of that there is a couple inches of snow coming tonight so I call DirecTV protection plan folks. They say they don't have contact numbers for the installer but are sending a "failed install" message to them and they should call me in 20-30 minutes. Needless to say, it's now 1 hr, no call and about 60 minutes of daylight is left. Had I not seen it, it would have been a disaster. I put a little silicone caulk from the inside into the holes but I am physically unable to climb to the roof or I would patch it myself.

So much for my $15 tip. :mad: Sh1t happens, but why to me.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,251 Posts
How steep is your roof? I used to live in an old victorian that had so many holes in the roof I didn't need to turn the attic light on during the day. Never a drop of water inside though, because the roof was a really steep (something like a 16/12 pitch).

EDIT: This is not meant to diminish the incompetence on the part of the installer who left the holes, only to possibly alleviate concerns about the oncoming snow. Holes still obviously need to be repaired.
 

·
Large Member
Joined
·
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hilmar2k said:
How steep is your roof? I used to live in an old victorian that had so many holes in the roof I didn't need to turn the attic light on during the day. Never a drop of water inside though, because the roof was a really steep (something like a 16/12 pitch).

EDIT: This is not meant to diminish the incompetence on the part of the installer who left the holes, only to possibly alleviate concerns about the oncoming snow. Holes still obviously need to be repaired.
It's a split level, not very steep. I don't think he was incompetent, he just forgot.

Just called D* back again ... this time they DEFINATELY will call me back within an hour ..... (that makes 2 "definately's."). Less then an hour of sunlight left.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,251 Posts
erosroadie said:
Interesting. When I had my dish upgraded from a 3 LNB to a 5 LNB the installer REFUSED to remove the old one from the chimney mount. I now have two D* dishes. Kinda makes me look like a suburban space cadet...
When I first upgraded to HD, the installer installed an AT-9 sidecar, and refused to removed the old dish. I recently had that dish replaced with a SL-3S. I asked the installer about the old dish and he was shocked the other installer didn't remove it. So now I am back down to one dish. I always hated having both of those dishes.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
385 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, and kudos for catching it before any damage happened. But as you said, there is the possibility the guy simply forgot to do it. I wouldn't call him incompetent (because if he can take down the dish, I'm sure he can handle some silicone), just a serious mistake.
 

·
Large Member
Joined
·
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tcusta00 said:
It appears he's called twice already.

Good luck, Tblazer. At least you caught it and caulked it from the inside.
I'm now on my 3rd call while the PP guy types yet another email. None of the promised calls have been returned. It's now dark. What I find remarkable is that they have no idea what contractor they dispatched to my home so I can try to directly contact them......

Now the guy tells me it is "DirectSat" but they have no contact number for them. While he's typing an email this time to the DIRECTV ESCALATION DEPT I'm going to Google DirectSat online.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,251 Posts
taz291819 said:
I wouldn't call him incompetent (because if he can take down the dish, I'm sure he can handle some silicone), just a serious mistake.
There is a difference between being incompetent, and doing something that is incompetent. I have no idea how competent that installer is, but leaving the holes unfilled is most certainly incompetent.

Just like folding my two pair to a pair of tens was stupid (in hind sight), I am by no means stupid. ;)
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,251 Posts
TBlazer07 said:
I'm now on my 3rd call while the PP guy types yet another email. None of the promised calls have been returned. It's now dark. What I find remarkable is that they have no idea what contractor they dispatched to my home so I can try to directly contact them......

Now the guy tells me it is "DirectSat" but they have no contact number for them. While he's typing an email this time to the DIRECTV ESCALATION DEPT I'm going to Google DirectSat online.
http://www.directsatusa.net/
 

·
Large Member
Joined
·
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unreal .... Coincidently I just get a call from DirectSAT on my cell and they have to send yet another "request" to a supervisor to contact me. However they don't work after 4PM (it's 5:05PM). I ask "Why didn't you call my home phone" and they tell me it was disconnected. DirecTV gave them an incorrect contact number."
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
142 Posts
Most of the installers I have ever talked to say they will use a roof mount as a last resort due to the holes it leaves, and sealing those holes as in to not let water in.

Get a small peice of plywood, put some sealer on it, and nail it to the roof as a quick fix
 

·
Large Member
Joined
·
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tim Godsil said:
Most of the installers I have ever talked to say they will use a roof mount as a last resort due to the holes it leaves, and sealing those holes as in to not let water in.

Get a small peice of plywood, put some sealer on it, and nail it to the roof as a quick fix
Easy for you to say. Due to severe arthritis in my hands I was barely able to squeeze the silicon tube to put what little I could inside. Aside from that there are roofing nails coming through the plywood on the inside of the attic all around the holes which makes that close to impossible even if my hands were OK. Now the outside holes will be filled with water and freeze so when they eventually show up their patch will be useless.
 

·
Large Member
Joined
·
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tim Godsil said:
Most of the installers I have ever talked to say they will use a roof mount as a last resort due to the holes it leaves, and sealing those holes as in to not let water in.

Get a small peice of plywood, put some sealer on it, and nail it to the roof as a quick fix
He should have left the original base there (as I asked because there are already 2 other bases there from previous dishes). But he said he didn't have an extra one.

Edit ... EVERY HOME in the area around here with Dish or DirecTV have roof mounted ODU's. I have yet to see one mounted any other way.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,251 Posts
TBlazer07 said:
Easy for you to say. Due to severe arthritis in my hands I was barely able to squeeze the silicon tube to put what little I could inside. Aside from that there are roofing nails coming through the plywood on the inside of the attic all around the holes which makes that close to impossible even if my hands were OK. Now the outside holes will be filled with water and freeze so when they eventually show up their patch will be useless.
What a mess. Hopefully they can fix it and no damage will be done in the meantime.
 

·
Large Member
Joined
·
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The original technician just called me. He SAYS he filled the holes with CLEAR silicon. With 2 layers of roofing (old and "newer" roof), 1 layer of paper, and a sheet of plywood I wouldn't expect to see bright light through clear silicon but since I can't go up on the roof to confirm or deny it I told him I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I did stick a wire through it originally and it went through with no resistance whatsoever but the silicon could have still been wet. I just looked at the wire and don't see any silicone but again, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

In any case, he said that to satisfy me he would stop by anyway tonight (in the dark) and patch it with roof patcher. I offered to run to Sears and get some and he said he has it on the truck. I don't understand why he didn't use that in the first place.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top