DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
HBO, ESPN, etc. The same group of channels that were first to market with HD channels. Somehow they didn't get 4K channels on the air. I'm sure you could list all the reasons and excuses but it would have been a pessimistic view a few years ago to say that 4K would be as limited as it is today on MVPDs.
Sound like revisiting the early days of HD, which was supposed to happen, then got delay, and delayed and delayed. If memory serves, the transition was to complete by 2006 but continued until after 2009. For years Directv only had maybe 5 channels of HD (one being HDNet) in Directv's odd formatting. The debates over 720p vs 1080i prevented many providers from committing to a format. Like you said, ABC/ESPN was one of the first to commit to 720p leaving the others waiting to pick a format. Meanwhile all the locals had to react and were available OTA which was like a dis to subscribers who paid over $1000/ DTV HD receiver with the majority of content being available OTA with a $15 tuner. After that, I'm holding off on 4K

·
Super Moderator
53,871 Posts
yeah, there are many members what do like to turn any thread into own discussion ...
Yep. And since he is the thread starter I don't think the thread starter is going to complain about the deviation. And neither will I.

Unneeded bickering removed.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts