DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Cool Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after waiting a few weeks (with one flaked call that never showed, even with text messages that the tech is on his/her way and would be there in less than a half hour), a tech finally showed up and fixed my issue. Good job there, but about a minute before he showed up, a sales person of some sort showed up and tried to sign me up for cell phone service.

Unbelievable

After 23 years, I'm soon to not be a DirecTV/AT&T customer. I bailed on AT&T cell service a few years ago after using them since 1998 (almost 21 years), so I think this is fitting.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,614 Posts
Sheesh. I’ve never had a cell phone salesman solicit my house. Yikes!

What company was listed on his badge/ID tag?

·
Cool Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sheesh. I’ve never had a cell phone salesman solicit my house. Yikes!

What company was listed on his badge/ID tag?
I didn't bother to check, but the AT&T logo was on the car and the tech knew who he was. I thought he was maybe a supervisor or something there to personally apologize for the blown appointment on Friday.

·
1,135 Posts
I didn't bother to check, but the AT&T logo was on the car and the tech knew who he was. I thought he was maybe a supervisor or something there to personally apologize for the blown appointment on Friday.
I had the same thing happen. The guy asked if everything was working as it should. I said yep. Then he tried selling my on there wireless. I laughed and said I'll stick with Verizon

·
Administrator
434 Posts
I also had an AT&T sales guys show up during my last Directv service call.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
What better way to insure that somebody's home than to go during a service appointment?

·
Administrator
434 Posts
Did the sales guy try upselling you on more stuff???
He was definitely not high pressure about anything. I already have AT&T for cellular but he was more than willing to help me switch from Comcast gigabit to AT&T fiber if I wanted.

Reactions: krel

·
Cool Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a kicker - on the day that the tech and sales guy showed up, a $8.99 a month Premium Protection Plan was magically added to my account, and of course customer support can't explain how that happened. Golly gee wilikers Beaver, I bet I know how this bit of slamming happened.

·
Icon
1,663 Posts
Here's a kicker - on the day that the tech and sales guy showed up, a $8.99 a month Premium Protection Plan was magically added to my account, and of course customer support can't explain how that happened. Golly gee wilikers Beaver, I bet I know how this bit of slamming happened.
The tech added it. The other guy is known as an "in home expert" they are nothing more than sales people. If the number listed on your account isn't att you will likely get an IHE on your DTV appt as well to upsell you wireless or internet if you don't have it.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
The tech added it. The other guy is known as an "in home expert" they are nothing more than sales people. If the number listed on your account isn't att you will likely get an IHE on your DTV appt as well to upsell you wireless or internet if you don't have it.
If your account number IS AT&T would the tech do the upsell? It seems that any visit would be an opportunity to talk to a customer about the other wonderful products and services also available. "Always be selling."

I hated the process when I was in retail 40 years ago. People came in for something I sold them what they wanted. The only upsell I wanted to do was to make sure they had what they needed to make their desired something work (cables, connections, etc.) and wouldn't be back at the store complaining a couple hours later. I hated being forced to sell unrelated products. (Oh you want a new TV? How about a toaster oven to go with that?) The company would send out secret shoppers to test employees and make sure they always be selling. I moved on to much better jobs.

·
Icon
1,663 Posts
If your account number IS AT&T would the tech do the upsell? It seems that any visit would be an opportunity to talk to a customer about the other wonderful products and services also available. "Always be selling."

I hated the process when I was in retail 40 years ago. People came in for something I sold them what they wanted. The only upsell I wanted to do was to make sure they had what they needed to make their desired something work (cables, connections, etc.) and wouldn't be back at the store complaining a couple hours later. I hated being forced to sell unrelated products. (Oh you want a new TV? How about a toaster oven to go with that?) The company would send out secret shoppers to test employees and make sure they always be selling. I moved on to much better jobs.
Either the agent that set the appointment or the tech added it. If the agent saw there was no PP they would usually tell customer about the $99 fee. So IF they didn't discuss this then the tech likely did it.

Edit to add the account number has nothing to do with it.

·
1,135 Posts
i had the 8.99 protection plan added to my acct without me knowing until i called in and the rep told me i had it. i told her i didn't add it to my acct she blamed the tech!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
They have been doing this for a while.

Apparently they make a good amount of sales off of it or they wouldn’t be doing it.

I think a retailer started doing this and then they gave that retailer an exclusive contract to keep doing.

It’s not a bad idea considering your home and your not doing anything waiting for the directv guy to finish his service call or install

I’m honestly surprised Comcast hasn’t started doing this with their cell phones and try to get the customers to sign up for video at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
434 Posts
I suspect this will catch on if successful. The electric company coming out for a scheduled service call? A sales guy tags along to try and upsell you on an outside line protection plan.

• Angry
Reactions: krel

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
I suspect this will catch on if successful. The electric company coming out for a scheduled service call? A sales guy tags along to try and upsell you on an outside line protection plan.
That would be a very difficult sell for most households since it only includes everything from the weatherhead in (except for the meter).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts