DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks as if we will be using the ethernet port on the HR20 soon. I also have a HD-DVD player that accepts an ethernet cable. My problem is that my Qwest modem is too far away to run cables to these devices. Is there some other method I can use to connect these to dsl. I was told by a Qwest rep that you can only have one modem on a line. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
There are methods that you could put wireless workground hub...

Kinda like replacing the "wire" between two switches, but doing it wireless ly.

Do a search on google for options to connect thing wireless.
Connecting an HR20 to your network, is no different then connection a PC....

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick response, I will do a search. I know with computers you can use a wireless card or a wireless USB to connect with the modem but don't see how I could do that with the HR20.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
What you really need is a bridging function extends the reach of your LAN. In this case it would be via a wireless device. I looked briefly and found a Linksys WET54G, but it only has one Ethernet port. Sounds like you need more than one. I haven't tried this device, but if it bridges properly, then it should be able to support multiple devices using an external hub/switch.

The best box would be something that has a few ports. I believe that there are also some Ethernet over Power adapters (not PoE - Power over Ethernet) where you plug the device into your electrical wiring and there is an ethernet port where you can attach a hub/switch.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
jpit said:
The Linksys device looks like it will be fine. Do you think a hub with two ethernet connections will work with this device?
It should work. The idea of a bridge is to create a link just as if there was a physical wire attached. The bridge link could be over any number of connection methods (microwave, fibre optic, 802.11g, etc.) When set up properly, both sides of the bridge will appear as if they are on the same LAN.

Check out the specs on that device to make sure that it meets your needs. If you do want to connect more than one device, a hub should work - I would expect it to. I just haven't tried it myself to say for certain.

· Hall Of Fame
1,095 Posts
brott said:
What you really need is a bridging function extends the reach of your LAN. In this case it would be via a wireless device. I looked briefly and found a Linksys WET54G, but it only has one Ethernet port. Sounds like you need more than one. I haven't tried this device, but if it bridges properly, then it should be able to support multiple devices using an external hub/switch.

The best box would be something that has a few ports. I believe that there are also some Ethernet over Power adapters (not PoE - Power over Ethernet) where you plug the device into your electrical wiring and there is an ethernet port where you can attach a hub/switch.
This works great on the HR10-250 :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.