DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
I agee this is not the TechTV I knew when I first got E*. This channel has declined over the past year

·
305 Posts
I don't watch TechTV because I'm not too up on computer news. So, with the complaints expressed here, I'm in no position to argue. However, I don't want to see the channel die. I didn't like it when Court TV started with its entertainment offerings -- beyond its original scope of news-making courtroom trial reportings -- but I don't know if this necessarily signifies the end for TechTV.

·
Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
I uased to like the quick news briefs. I enjoyed Cybercrime when the stories wee new. I even liked Call for Help and the Screen Savers once upon a time. But now the channel is not worth much. Sad really. Quite sad.

·
Legend
172 Posts
I agree that techtv is going downhill. What I liked the best, of their recent efforts, was the all-day "TechLive", except that there was more repetition of stories than I'd prefer.

I hope they can survive though; no one else broadcasts full length keynote addresses by various computer industry CEOs. The trade show coverage isn't bad either. I don't really have any ideas for what they could do.

Does anyone have ideas for what they ought to do?

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Does anyone have ideas for what they ought to do?
Go back to the old format but with a few hours of TechLive. Maybe start TechLive at 7AM and goto 1PM. The bring back new episodes of CyberCrime, Working the Web, Silicon Spin w/ Some one other then Dvorick and better issues. Get rid of Internet Tonight, if that show is still on. I fail to see how that show is entertaining and/or informative. Bring back the old Call For Help and Screen Savers.

·
Legend
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Internet Tonight was cancelled by TechTV almost a year and a half ago. However, the channel still showed reruns of the show even though it was cancelled.

If the channel doesnt improve soon, I think its about time for the people at the channel to seriously consider pulling the plug. I am a fan of the channel, but things have gotten worse ever since the name change from ZDTV to TechTV.

·
Legend
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even the chat rooms at TechTV havent been the same since Kate went to GameSpotTV. (I still think that putting her on a show about videogames was a demotion, not a "promotion", as she did describe the move a few days after it happened). When the show had her and Leo as hosts, the chat rooms were at the max then. However, most of the chatters were going "Oooh Kate, Marry Me!!!" or "Leo..Youre The Man!!". Okay, it was a bit annoying, but it was kinda funny as well.

I have heard from various sources that said that the people at TechTV didnt like Kate getting more attention than Leo, so they thought that maybe the show would be better if it was just a show with male hosts...thus making the show more geared towards geeks. However, the move wasnt successful. Viewership of the show went down and there were letters by people who wanted Kate back. So, TechTV decided to include women in the show to increase the viewership and spice up the show. The move still hasnt helped any.

·
Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
I guess the bottom line is that there is really very little to watch on Tech TV anymore. I still catcha few minutes of Screes Savers from time to time. And Fresg Gear will kill a few minutes.

But why would I want to watch the third or fourth broadcast of a story on "upskirting" or DBS theft just to see what Jennifer London is wearing in the intro piece?

maybe they will show some good movies.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
maybe they will show some good movies.
I wonder if its too much to ask for The Net and Hackers :p

·
Legend
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IMHO, if I want to see a movie...I'll watch the premiums, PPV, or my local video store's selections. TechTV is a tech channel, not a movie channel. If thats what they think what will get them extra viewers, they are wrong and better rethink their gameplan fast or else the channel will be gone in less than 6 months from now. We will be discussing by then what channels we will want to replace TechTV with when its gone.

It would be nice if Charlie could replace this channel with National Geographic.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Well...it's a trend! The other day I was surprised to find a movie on TVG! (405) Of course it was a movie with horse racing at the core of the plot, but it was an old black and white movie none-the-less!

See ya
Tony

·
Hall Of Fame
2,027 Posts
Yeah, but think about it. They get these old movies for a song and as long as the ad revenue exceeds the variable costs, it's not such a bad deal.

I've been thinnking about starting a low power educational TV station at my college. It would show old public domain movies and shows and campus sports. Operated mostly volunteers, so any local ad revenue would just be gravy.

Back to TechTV, maybe they'll get some different viewers with this strategy. My sense is that TechTV probably has a very core viewing audience, so anything that breaks out of that market could help them get more viewers on other shows.

·
Mentor
29 Posts
it is dissapointing to see what has happened at Techtv I very uch enjoyed the channel "in the old days" now it just seems to be fluff........ eventhough I still like Leo, I think he is very intelligent.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,660 Posts
Originally posted by Brian Rector
Imagine if 'YES' started to show movies too. I wouldnt be surprised if that happens soon thanks to the channel being basically Yankees games, radio shows, and infotainment.
Why not? YES could become the NE version of Turner South.;)

I agree that Tech TV is not as good as it once was, I used to like Call for Help, but I do not like the new host as well or the new format. I still watch and like Fresh Gear and I like TechLive.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
...but I do not like the new host ...
That guy, whatever his name is, is such as moron, I cant believe the management let him take leo's gig on Call For Help.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.