DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Godfather
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recorded the first episode twice, now, and both times failed. During playback, the screen pauses, FFWD, or skips. Then, total black out and my HR20 freezes. Four, count them again, FOUR resets and the show recorded TWICE! Bah!

Anybody else having problems? No other programming is causing these problems. Is it just this show, or Discovery Network having broadcasting issues?

I've decided to cancel ALL the shows on my recorder settings. Sorry Ted. This looked like a great series.

EDIT: The problem seems to start when I hit the PAUSE button. A known problem?

· Godfather
391 Posts
Sorry to hear about your recording problem. For what its worth, I was able to record episodes 1 and 2, on the HR21-100. I do not have the 251 software yet. (Are you running the new 251 software release?)

I am having a problem getting the HR21 to recognize (and schedule) episode 4 as part of the series. I am going to give that 24 hours and see whether it corrects that problem.

The show is well put together, and is worth checking out, especially if you are a Koppel fan. I would hope they rerun the series at least once between now and the Olympic games, so you could record/watch it then.

Oh great, I just reread your post and realized that I have episode 2 on pause as I write. I hope the end is there when I get back!

· Icon
507 Posts
Sounds interesting....

However title and keyword searches on "ted koppel" turned up nothing...

What chan/time is/was this?

Thanks

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
I think, because the name of each program in the series was a little different, my HR20 did not recognize the 4 shows as all part of the same series. I ended up scheduling each as an individual single recording rather than as a series link.

I have not yet tried to watch any of them.

Carl

· Godfather
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EricJRW said:
Sounds interesting....

Thanks
As was stated already, the show doesn't have Ted Koppel in the description or the title, except the first episode, which is no longer available. There are three episodes left, airing the second one tonight. The last two are aired the following nights. What I was able to watch looked fantastic and very interesting.

The channel is 278, which is the Discovery HD Channel, like I mentioned in the first post. The episodes air late at night, around 5-8PM and again several hours later, depending on your time zone.

· Icon
507 Posts
Guitar Hero said:
As was stated already, the show doesn't have Ted Koppel in the description or the title, except the first episode, which is no longer available. There are three episodes left, airing the second one tonight. The last two are aired the following nights. What I was able to watch looked fantastic and very interesting.

The channel is 278, which is the Discovery HD Channel, like I mentioned in the first post.
Really, where? I've gone back and read all 4 previous posts, several times, and all I saw was "I think, because the name of each program in the series was a little different.", I never saw "the show doesn't have Ted Koppel in the description or the title".

Also, I don't see "Discovery HD Channel" mentioned... What I saw was "Is it just this show, or Discovery Network having broadcasting issues?" I don't know which channels might make up the Discovery Network, but if had I seen "Discovery Channel HD", that I would have recognized.

PS. Thank you for the time update... I'll look for the show.

· Difficulty Concen........
Directv, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, HR34-700, HR44-500, C31-700, C41-700, 2 DIRECTV SWM16, 2 Zinwell WB68
7,251 Posts
EricJRW said:
Sounds interesting....

Thanks
Koppel:people's Republic of Capitalism

· Godfather
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EricJRW said:
Really, where? I've gone back and read all 4 previous posts, several times, and all I saw was "I think, because the name of each program in the series was a little different.", I never saw "the show doesn't have Ted Koppel in the description or the title".

Also, I don't see "Discovery HD Channel" mentioned... What I saw was "Is it just this show, or Discovery Network having broadcasting issues?" I don't know which channels might make up the Discovery Network, but if had I seen "Discovery Channel HD", that I would have recognized.

PS. Thank you for the time update... I'll look for the show.
Sorry, I didn't know you were new to the internet.

You see, there's a cool place you can go called a "Search Engine." You enter any topic you like, for example "Ted Koppel - Discovery Network- China Series" and guess what pops up first!? Try it!

Two fantastic 'search engine' websites I like to use are google.com or yahoo.com for my searching needs. Any one of those would have steered you to the correct place.

These places help you become more resourceful and less dependent on others. That way, you don't look like a doofus who needs his hand held all the time. With these two websites, you can do it all on your own.

:)

· Icon
507 Posts
Well I really don't want to get in an argument with you, but it was you who stated "As was stated already..." and "Like I mentioned...", when it really wasn't.

Maybe I read too much into it, but I found the tone of your post condescending and well below par of the other responses I have read and received on this fine board.

Instead of realizing that what you thought was said wasn't, you continue with the snide and sarcastic remarks.

As armophob very kindly pointed out, "Koppel" is in the title, yet a "Ted Koppel" search did not find it. I did not use any search modifiers, i.e. AALL or AANY - So I'll take the hit for that one. But seriously, how hard would it have been just to answer the question?

No need to answer... It was a rhetorical question.

Eric

Don't denigrate. Participate. Be the solution. - Doug Brott

PS. My recording of this show, this morning at 1AM CST, worked just fine.

· Godfather
391 Posts
carl6 said:
I think, because the name of each program in the series was a little different, my HR20 did not recognize the 4 shows as all part of the same series. I ended up scheduling each as an individual single recording rather than as a series link.

I have not yet tried to watch any of them.

Carl
This is another HR20x software/guide problem. The TIVO scheduled and recorded perfectly. The HR21 can't find episode 4. This is a recurring problem with my HR21. It often is unable to link the shows on limited run "series."

Update -- The HR21 finally did schedule the fourth episode. However, I still believe the scheduling needs to update in real time. The users should not have to check the DVR every day to see if a requested series program is really going to record. This is one place (among others) where the TIVO scheduling process beats the HR21 hands down.

· Hall Of Fame
3,862 Posts
Guitar Hero said:
I've recorded the first episode twice, now, and both times failed. During playback, the screen pauses, FFWD, or skips. Then, total black out and my HR20 freezes. Four, count them again, FOUR resets and the show recorded TWICE! Bah!

Anybody else having problems? No other programming is causing these problems. Is it just this show, or Discovery Network having broadcasting issues?

I've decided to cancel ALL the shows on my recorder settings. Sorry Ted. This looked like a great series.

EDIT: The problem seems to start when I hit the PAUSE button. A known problem?
I just had the same problem when watching a recording of episode 3 (the first episode that I've watched). Total freeze up of the HR20-100. Had to RBR. I have never ever had a total freeze up before in the one year that I have been using this DVR, but (certainly not so coincidently) Koppel's People's Republic did it to me too.

· Icon
507 Posts
I was not home at the time of the recordings, so can't comment on that...

But my HR21 did find the aforementioned episode 4 on its own.

If they run them again (I missed episode 1), I'll give pause a try during the recording (for the data point).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.